Portable 18650 charging station.

Hi,

I needed extra charging capacity because all of a sudden 200 battery packs fell out of the sky.
This time I wanted something light, stealth, silent and portable.
The power supply is a 5V/40A one, it gets fairly hot, measured once 70C. When all slots are filled it drags +120watts from the grid.
Not visible on picture, but I have a large rocker switch to switch on/off the power supply.
Enjoy the pictures of my built.

The case

image_jphuol.jpg

TP4056 & holder arrangement.

image_vbgrqs.jpg

image_obeyxe.jpg

image_gfxfhp.jpg

Portable @work & on the trainto work.

image_omtrij.jpg

image_drjjty.jpg

Ofcourse doing a great job at home too...

image_vrfzzy.jpg

Frank

Sh*t.... I hate to say it, but you beat me on the line here. :dodgy:
I had the same idea and project is under construction....a new thread will be online in 2 or 3 weeks.

But congrats, it really looks nice and It seems really practical.

lol, was there no thread on 18650 addictions ? ... charging cells on the way to-and at work would be a serious case of it :D

Ohhhh, nowi see ... Belgium ... never mind :rolleyes: ;)

never charge batteries unattended :D. Thats very clever. And even in the train. Worldclass. :idea:

FrankyBeuselinck said:
Hi,

I needed extra charging capacity because all of a sudden 200 battery packs fell out of the sky.
This time I wanted something light, stealth, silent and portable.
The power supply is a 5V/40A one, it gets fairly hot, measured once 70C. When all slots are filled it drags +120watts from the grid.
Not visible on picture, but I have a large rocker switch to switch on/off the power supply.
Enjoy the pictures of my built.

The case

image_jphuol.jpg

TP4056 & holder arrangement.

image_vbgrqs.jpg

image_obeyxe.jpg

image_gfxfhp.jpg

Portable @work & on the trainto work.

image_omtrij.jpg

image_drjjty.jpg

Ofcourse doing a great job at home too...

image_vrfzzy.jpg

Frank

Hi Frank, I'm new to 18650 DIY battery packs and am still in the collecting phase. My understanding of electronics is limited. I haven't started processing any cells yet but am learning all I can on this site for now. I like your charger and have two questions:

1) Since I read somewhere that TP4056 doesn't have reverse polarity protection and TP5100 has it, can I just replace the TP4056 with TP5100 in your build without any modifications? Or will I need additional modifications, in which case I would rather just stay with TP4056?

2) Can the charge current be selected? Say I want the cells to only be charged at 500 mA, is there a way of setting that on the TP4056 (or TP5100), or does it only chose its charge current automatically?

PS: I hope I'm not reviving an old thread here. trying to learn some practical knowledge

Back