My first ebike

Wattsup

Hey all,
After saving my pennies for a while I recently had my Giant hybrid converted to electric POWER :D :D
I went with 250w 36volt to keep it street legal here in Australia

Have to say I am stoked with the result. Plenty of power for hillsand I live on a mountain.
I still wanted some exercise but not to be exhausted every time I head out and this is perfect.
I got a 16 ah battery with the install (2900 mah Panasonic cells) for around 60 km range buthad it wired to add extra batteries. I am currently building a couple of 11 ah samsung 30Q packs as I have a couple of hundred of these cells from power tool packs.
Some photos below :)

image_bkqabc.jpg

image_xacrgs.jpg

image_nudqst.jpg

Nice, you got the Bafang BB drive, using the gears with a smaller motor makes a huge difference in hill climbing.

Elmo said:
Nice, you got the Bafang BB drive, using the gears with a smaller motor makes a huge difference in hill climbing.

Yes mate, I went with the Bafang, seems to be a well built unit, although I plan to open it up and add some moly grease as per some youtube recommendations advise for longer life.
Certainly flattens out the hills ;)

Thanks

First battery build almost complete.

I will make a few of these.
Withthe main battery and 2 of these packsin the pannier bags I should have range of close to 150km.

Pretty happy with that:cool:

image_jtvjqk.jpg

image_arwprv.jpg

image_wuchti.jpg

That's not too shabby for stuff you basically rescued from the recycling bin.

Of course the irony that you are truly recycling them in more than one way probably has escaped almost everyone.

A recycled cycle battery, It's so appropriate.

I'm considering building my powerwall with something very like your technique, I"ve done it before on ebike batteries. I'll just parallel as many 7s sub packs as I can put together. I use 3x1 cell holders so probably a multiple of 3 such as 18 or 21 parallel.

Looks good! Where did you get 2900mAh batteries from? Wow!

And what exactly is the board that looks like a BMS?

Sohax said:

Thanks.
I"m fortunate enough to have an abundant supply of power tool packs for the cells.

The bms is 10s 36v 40 amp board with balance protection. Have seen it used quite often, itsthe first one I've tried.
Will post resuts for if anyone is interested once I've tested it

Wattsup said:
Sohax said:

Thanks.
I"m fortunate enough to have an abundant supply of power tool packs for the cells.

The bms is 10s 36v 40 amp board with balance protection. Have seen it used quite often, itsthe first one I've tried.
Will post resuts for if anyone is interested once I've tested it
You're lucky! Mine are usually around 1800-2200... Still okay I guess, but far from hours.

So it's a pre built BMS? I'm interested in the results! I only did the cell recovery until now. I didn't tink about BMS and such things until now. That's the next step

Connectors done and found this cool capacity display.
Just waiting for 500mm heat shrink to come from China and will begood to go

image_shbtgx.jpg

image_defurg.jpg

Here's a quick vid I just uploaded of my ebike conversion

Back