Esmart3 nuissances

wycito

Hey all

A little about myself, I have been building my powerwall for quite some time at them moment, and have managed to find a reliable cell supply, at the time of this writting I have around 3500 cells which I plan to use in a 20kw powerwall I am in the process of building

I have built an initial powerwall in a 7s80p configuration and a few other packs which are used for several purposes
I have 8 310 Silfabsolar panels which are setup in my roof which I have in a 2s4p configuration

I have purchased a few months ago a Esmart3 60A solar charge controller which appeared to work very well with a 12v lead acid battery but it has not been very kind to me after connecting my lithium 7s bank, here is what I have found:

1) Voltage reading from the battery is off by 2.6v (lower, 28.6v reading would show as 26v) when the voltage is between 23v and 28v (quite a nuisance, however tolerable)

2) This is my biggest issue because it is potentially very dangerous is that it will NOT change from constant current to constant voltage, it continues dumping power into the battery as if it did not reach the final voltage setup in the "user defined" battery

I have setup the solar charge controller through the android based software which is somewhat useful, please see in the my screenshot the settings for my 7s battery pack,

Has anyone had this before and has any ideas in how to correct these issues?

**Please note Charge voltage has the 2.6v offset

image_kdhytb.jpg

Any help would be appreciated

I had 7s80p before i added another 7s80p to it.
In my case i use Epever Tracer 3210.
It works fine with no problem.
These are my settings
Make sure you set the working voltage to 24V battery system.
Using user define setting
Bulk charge voltage is 29.3
float charge voltage is 29.2boo
Equalize charge voltage is 29.4
Charge limit is 30.0
Over voltage protection is 32.0
Over voltage protection recovery is 30.0
Boost recovery is 26.4
Equalize time is
Boost time is 180min.
I think if you adopt these settings on your esmart3 it will work as well.

ibikunle said:
I had 7s80p before i added another 7s80p to it.
In my case i use Epever Tracer 3210.
It works fine with no problem.
These are my settings
Make sure you set the working voltage to 24V battery system.
Using user define settings
Bulk charge voltage is 29.3
float charge voltage is 29.2
Equalize charge voltage is 29.4
Charge limit is 30.0
Over voltage protection is 32.0
Over voltage protection recovery is 30.0
Boost recovery is 26.4
Equalize time is 180min
Boost time is 180min.
I currently have900w of panels and i pull maximum current of 27A with it.
I think if you adopt these settings on your esmart3 it will work as well.

Hi ibikunle,
Thank you for your response
As mentioned I did play with the settings quite a bit to no avail, I do have a different solar charge controller, an Esmart3 and to this moment I have not been able to make it stop charging once the target voltage is reached.

wycito said:
Hi ibikunle,
Thank you for your response
As mentioned I did play with the settings quite a bit to no avail, I do have a different solar charge controller, an Esmart3 and to this moment I have not been able to make it stop charging once the target voltage is reached.

I know the charge controller you are taking about Esmart3 it is red in colour.
Just take your time for the setting i know you can doit.

I bypass all that when charging with solar, I try to get the controller to get me as close as possible to what I want and use an overvoltage relay to disconnect the solar panel when the battery voltage reaches my limit I set for it.

To me it look like you have your bulk voltage set too high if the battery keeps going over its maximum voltage. Like the other post said, it takes a while to find the right bulk voltage that will work for your system. I had lithium controllers that also would go over the maximum voltage that I set for them, thats why I don't trust controllers to protect my batteries, they can also fail. That where the overvoltage relay comes in, plus I have the battery BMS as last line of defense. I also use active balancers on my batteries sothe overall voltage is in perfect balance even when fast charging.

This is how I have my system set up, the 6 dollar overvoltage relay monitor battery voltage, if voltage goes above my limits I set, it triggers a 30 amp relay that disconnects the solar panel, the controller goes to sleep thinking its night time. I use a 30 amp relay but you can use a much larger 300 amp relay depending on what kind of power your panels put out. I have my controller dialed in so well, that this overvoltage relay rarely has to disconnect the panel, but its very good protection to protect your expensive batteries. Its like a deadman switch, everyone need one in there systems. Works with any controller/charger any battery system.

image_gvialg.jpg

Hello all

After a few communications with the seller I have found how to set it up correctly

The voltage settings have to be done based as a multiple of 12v battery, i.e
7S system is a "24v" system so I would need to setup the top voltage to half of what I want it to be -> I use 28.6v as max voltage the setting need to be as 28.6v/2 -> 14.3v
I use 24.4v as my minimum voltage so I have to set the low voltage limit to 12.2v

Once I did this the Charge controller started behaving correctly and changing modes correctly

Regarding the voltage readings the seller connected to a computer running the software and entered a hidden menu where the voltages can be corrected

As it stands right now it is working as I expected, I am a happy camper now :D

Now off to setup my addition to my power pack, 14s 80p

I hope this can help someone in the future

I know this is an old thread, but I've found the way to correctly calibrate the eSmart3 MPPT Charge controller. First, you click onto the gear on the top-right corner and type solar888 as the admin password, then on the 3rd field down on the left, type the current voltage of your batteries (using a volt-meter) and accept the changes. Voila!, the voltage on the controller matches the one on your batteries. Mine was about .5v higher than the actual battery voltage.

PS: If the fields are in chineese, use a tool from google (Google Translator) and use the camera to view the translation in English.

DomingoRP said:
I know this is an old thread, but I've found the way to correctly calibrate the eSmart3 MPPT Charge controller. First, you click onto the gear on the top-right corner and type solar888 as the admin password, then on the 3rd field down on the left, type the current voltage of your batteries (using a volt-meter) and accept the changes. Voila!, the voltage on the controller matches the one on your batteries. Mine was about .5v higher than the actual battery voltage.

PS: If the fields are in chineese, use a tool from google (Google Translator) and use the camera to view the translation in English.

Awesome, Thank you!!! I knew about the existence of that menu, but couldn't find the password on the net. And theftard aliexpress dealer was being a dhead about the issue.
Finally I can fully calibrate my 3 eSmart3 chargers. In practice the LCD showing inaccurate current/Vwas not a big issue, but still.

ajw22 said:
DomingoRP said:
Awesome, Thank you!!! I knew about the existence of that menu, but couldn't find the password on the net. And theftard aliexpress dealer was being a dhead about the issue.
Finally I can fully calibrate my 3 eSmart3 chargers. In practice the LCD showing inaccurate current/Vwas not a big issue, but still.

You're welcome. If we pay for the device, we have the right to do with it as we please.

It worked once then when I tried to fine tune it now battery voltage is showing 0v and it no longer accepts any change
Is it bricked ?

No, it's not. Just reset to factory defaults and unplug all the power to the CC (both positive and negative wires) from the battery and solar. Wait about 10-15 minutes to reset and then do it again.

It happened the first time for me, I was about to contact manufacturer, but it magically came back.

DomingoRP said:

Be aware this information is not correct. The third field on the left refers to "Charging Current". I have blindly followed this advise and my Esmart3 40A now is not working (I think it is but it shows all the time 0 on screen). I typed there my battery volatege and it went nuts inmediately. So changed that value to cero and cero shows on screen since then. Not blaming anybody here but myself for not checking the information beforehand.

Can somebody with an Esmart3 40A please tell me what value appears in the spaced marked in red? I have asked for help to the seller Easun but have not many hopes.

Thanks in advance.

image_myzlga.jpg

Sorry to hear that, but thats why I suggested to use Google Translator with the camera function to make sure the value being changed was the correct one. The value there is 1150. Or, just click on Restore Defaults.

image_nfifkm.jpg

Thank you. Not blaming you in any way. It was totally my fault. I will try that in a couple of minutes.

Restoring defaults did not helped, it only restored the user adjustable values.

I'm not sure at all but...
I think "1150" is just the internally stored adjustment metric. I think what you have to enter in the input field is the Amperes currently running into the battery. So probably something in the 1~40 range. Or maybe mA.
At least that's how I adjusted the BAT voltage settings.

ajw22 said:
I'm not sure at all but...
I think "1150" is just the internally stored adjustment metric. I think what you have to enter in the input field is the Amperes currently running into the battery. So probably something in the 1~40 range. Or maybe mA.
At least that's how I adjusted the BAT voltage settings.

I thought that at first, and waited at night even disconected the PV and entered cero (0) and applied. But no, it was not the solution.

It will not accept any typed value, whatever I type will go back to cero as soon as I exit the field. I have to click on the upper arrow and keep it on for the values to increase.... It will be a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time until I get from 0 to 1150 increasing the value by the decimals...

Thank you

Pretty sure you can't calibrate the current sensor when no current is flowing.
You have to have a known current flowing (ideally something in the 20~40A range), get an accurate Ampere reading using eg. a DC clamp meter, then enter that value into the input field.

ajw22 said:
Pretty sure you can't calibrate the current sensor when no current is flowing.
You have to have a known current flowing (ideally something in the 20~40A range), get an accurate Ampere reading using eg. a DC clamp meter, then enter that value into the input field.

I will try that later today as typing 1150 in that value is not possible. Higher allowed is 1000 and does not make any difference. Got back to cero again.

I even reseted the thing and disconected PV and Battery (for that order, very important) and waited 20 minutes... it did not make any difference. I have a battery monitor connected to the battery so it it quite simple to see how many amps are going in the battery.

Thanks everyone.

Did not work either. Isolated the inverter and left the battery connected to the Esmart3 only. Battery was fully charged so set the float voltage equal to bulk. According to the battery monitor around 3.4 and 3.5 A were entering the battery so typed that value and hit apply. Nothing happened.

Good thing is that it seems to be working normally but main screen and monitoring software always shows cero for eveything except for the PV and battery voltage.

Running out of ideas... Maybe Easun can help.

Have you tried messing with the input field to the right (translates as "bias")?
My understanding (which may be wrong) is that the left field adjusts the value by multiplying (ie. the slope).
Whereas the field on the right adjusts by adding/subtracting a fixed amount (ie. the offset). So maybe try a small number like 1 (or -1?).
Maybe changing the bias will allow you to change the left values again. Or maybe it'll screw it up even more.

Back