Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dala's Leaf buildthread (2015 Nissan Leaf)
I recently found this excellent video taking a deep-dive into the Nissan Leaf reduction gear housing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxJTEXxveUg

There seems to exist two versions of the Leaf reduction gearcase.
7.94:1 for 2011-2013 ZE0 (White interior)
8.30:1 for 2013-2017 AZE0 (Black interior)

This information was missing from Wikipedia,only the 7.94:1 ratio was mentioned, so I added it.

What can we do with this newfound information? I initially got my hopes up that I could swap in the older gearbox for quicker acceleration, but after consulting with the Leaf forum we came to the conclusion that it's the other way around. The AZE0 ratio is better for quick accceleration, but has a lower topspeed. Topspeed is irrelevant for the Nissan Leaf, since it is software limited to max 150km/h, so if you have a ZE0 Leaf and want a whooping 4.5% increase in torque, you can swap in the newer reduction gear Smile
So something that I bought a while back and forgot to even do was the exciting service point that is -> replacing the windshield wipers. This is long overdue, the car had the original wipers from 2015! The rubber section was really stiff, horrible noises, and they left streak marks on the windshield.

[Image: 4F4CTZT.jpg]

I went with the pricier but more aerodynamical "Bosch Aerotwin'AR16U' and 'AR26U'". These cost 16€ per piece. I wish I had done this last year already, what a difference!

I'm not really driving the car while on lockdown, so I'll have time for some boring maintenance tasks now. But there is barely anything to regularly service/inspect on the Leaf, so I'll probably work more on the programming side for now Smile
Korishan likes this post
LOL Yeah, something I need to do with mine, as well. But giving the blades a really good wipe down with some cleaner helps to prolong blades. I live in hot sunny florida and most people go through blades once or twice a year. I'm still on these blades after 3 years. Though, as you mentioned, they are starting to get stiff. The cleaner wiping isn't lasting as long now. Might be due for a replacement.
Dala likes this post
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
Ok so here is something most perhaps wouldn't share.

I've made some mistakes with the charging algoritm. Or rather say ignored a potential issue.

If you remember my 500km roadtrip story a few posts back, you could see that I hit some pretty high temperatures. Here's a flashback picture to the last charging session.

[Image: 6pNl8wi.jpg]

When Nissan launched the 40kWh battery back in 2018, early users quickly noticed that the lack of a thermal management system could lead to the battery throttling the charge speed after rapid consecutive fastcharging sessions, aka a roadtrip scenario. This led to the term 'Rapidgate'. People complained, and Nissan eventually launched a firmware update for the LBC to allow for a bit more power at higher temperatures (at the cost of battery health).

So, how does this relate to my 40kWh battery? I've been running WITHOUT any kind of limiter, allowing for the full 125A at any temperature. Although speedy, this is unacceptable for battery longevity. So let's see how Nissan did the original 40kWh implementation. I've formatted the data in two tables, one temperature and one for the instrument cluster dash-bars.
[Image: 3CdA7Tp.png]

Afaik, this is the original data pre-rapidgate fix. So this is the safest known set of parameters for quickcharging a 40kWh pack. I've tested that I can successfully manipulate the charge speed on the fly, and now taken the OEM map into use. I'm pushing this firmware update to all customers aswell.

But what's next? With some thinking, we can create sets of better maps depending on usecase.

Example 1. Say you are preparing for a long roadtrip, care about your car, want it to last a long time. You also don't care if you need to charge 5minutes longer at each stop. Then an even more relaxed parameter set would be perfect.

Example 2. Another use case, you are in a rush to get somewhere. Every minute counts, so you want to minimize time spent charging, and don't care about long term battery health. Then a more aggressive set of charging parameters could be used (temporarily hopefully!).

The possibilities here are endless, and maybe quickly switching between charging speed profiles could be the solution. I'll have to consult with my customers Smile
Here's something mildly interesting to say the least.

The 30kWh LEAF, sold between 2016 to 2018 have some controversy going on with the warranty replacements. Normally, a LEAF has warranty for capacity loss overtime, this means if it looses more than 30% capacity before the warranty runs out, Nissan replaces the battery with a new one. Early adapters / owners have longed for Nissan to replace the aging 24kWh packs with some larger ones when doing warranty, but Nissan has stood firm on only replacing 24kWh packs with newer 24kWh packs. But, the 30kWh LEAF is different! Nissan has been silently using 40kWh packs when they are doing warranty work on 30kWh LEAFs, and I kinda understand why.

Here is some inside information i got from a friends friend. It's the internal price list for all the packs.
[Image: nEW7WAH.jpg]

24kWh - 17666€ 0%VAT
30kWh - 22730€ 0%VAT
40kWh - 20871€ 0%VAT
62kWh - 28897€ 0%VAT

First of all, the prices are silly high, and Nissan won't let you buy a battery. These are only for warranty work. Note that the 40kWh pack is cheaper to get compared to the 30kWh pack. So there is a pure profit in using 40kWh packs instead of 30kWh ones. Also, Nissan still makes 40/62 packs, the 30 size was only used for a brief period, so it makes sense to streamline the production. But here is the real question, why not allow the same warranty upgrade for old 2011-2016 24kWh Leafs?

Speculation time:
- Upgrading the 24kWh Leaf to 40kWh makes the car so much more usable, that it would hurt newer sales. Can't have people using older cars for too long! Upgrading a 30kWh->40kWh doesn't hurt the sales as much.
- It is hard to upgrade the oldest Leaf. This I noticed myself too, the communication between the LBC->VCM is really different on the 2011-2013 ZE0 Leaf. If you drop in a 40kWh pack into a 2014+ AZE0 Leaf, the communication is mostly the same, and Nissan can get away with doing a minor firmware update. But if they try to do the same on the oldest ZE0, the pack wont even be recognized properly, and ALL the modules on the CAN-bus in the car would need a firmware update to cooperate. Nothing impossible (since we hobbyists are doing it right now!), but hard to do it officially.

I don't like Nissans strategy, since it promotes a throw away culture. End of rambling Smile
I made another thing open source.

I've been approached by a few who have done bruteforce upgrades. Last year I experimented with the 30kWh cells inside a 24kWh battery, with mixed results. As you know, this method of upgrading has been superseded by the clean way to swap in newer battery packs, but since people are asking I made this information public.

https://github.com/dalathegreat/Nissan-L...ce-Upgrade

[Image: JcvyS9D.png]

Still, I DO NOT recommend this way to upgrade. But it will probably help someone out there Smile
Another minor maintenance thing, I figured it was a good idea to replace the cabin air filter. I picked this up a few weeks ago too, it was the cheapest filter available. I'm not to bothered about the charcoal ones, since I do most driving on open roads, so not a lot of smog to filter. And the electrical motor on this car doesn't have any leaky valvecover gaskets that would allow crankcase gas to enter the cabin, so I find it hard to justify the pricier filter. Someone convince me next time? Big Grin

[Image: cLsCo4c.jpg]

And it was a good thing I replaced it, a ton of bugs fell out when I pulled the filter out. Look at that discoloration!

[Image: 8nqMFhS.jpg]

I guess 5 years is quite a stretch for these filters, thinking about stepping the interval down to every second/third year. After all, it's a service item below 10€, and there are not really any other things to service on this car now Tongue
So since the Muxsan CAN bridges were sold out, and I'm going thru quite a lot of them quickly, I decided to try and build some on my own. They are open source after all Smile

I ordered a few PCBs from JLCPB. I opted for the more expensive lead-free version. And ofcourse in white, love white PCBs Big Grin
[Image: no5QhYg.jpg]

When I said a few, I meant 100x Big Grin
[Image: D10FNKl.jpg]

Now just waiting for the components to roll in Smile