Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dala's Leaf buildthread (2015 Nissan Leaf)
Today I went mobile. A customer needed help with a battery repair (HV contactor replacement). Here are some thoughts about acting as a mobile-tech. Due to the current ongoing pandemic, I packed lunch and lots of coffee, so I didn't have to shop anywhere. Oh, and hand sanitizer! The total roundtrip was 500km, so I had to stop two times for a quick zap. I successfully avoided people altogether! The entire deal was zero-waste, made with 100% renewable energy (Fortum C&D wind-power), and 100% vegan. I'm serious when it comes to sustainability Smile

So some updates of what I've been up to.

I bought a new LEAF! Or rather, my company bought an older Leaf. My current black -15 AZE0 only allowed me to develop the software so far, so I needed access to the older ZE0 Leaf. So I went and picked up Finlands cheapest one Smile It's a white -12 ZE0, with the cold weather package. This will allow me to fix the remaining bugs in my software. You'll be seeing more of this car soon Smile

hbpowerwall likes this post
Some more exciting stuff going on,

I recently released a Demo version of my upcoming software LeafEnhancer, to all my Patreon supporters.

The Demo version includes CapacityBoost(AZE0), BatterySaver & GlideInDrive. I'm gonna be making some youtube videos on the new GlideInDrive functionality soon Smile More on this software later on, and if you're a Leaf owner and eager for more info, do check out the Patreon page Wink
hbpowerwall and Redpacket like this post
FYI: Dala's Patrion page https://www.patreon.com/dala
Dala likes this post
So I've been coding up some new functionality for my Leaf. This is something I feel should have been mandatory on the Leaf from the beginning, since it makes for safer charging.

Now I can bring only my 3.3kW charger everywhere, and make adjustments when needed Smile

I will be pushing this new feature to all BatteryUpgrade customers, and adding this to the LeafEnhancer package.
Thumbs Up 
Hehe. That's a great click-bait title on the video [Image: thumbsup.png]
Alright, here is what I've been up to the past few days.

All this started since I needed a way to charge faster at the workshop garage, where I'm currently conducting all the actual work (battery upgrades, R&D etc.). I wanted to set up a proper charging station, and by proper I mean a safety first install. I already had an OpenEVSE unit that I was going to take into use, but I needed a way to mount a Type B GFCI (RCD/RCCB/RCBO, whatever you want to call it depending on where you live).

"What is a Type B GFCI?" you might ask, so let's go over that first. A Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter, is a device that quickly cuts power in the event of a failure/short/touching conductor situation. This device cuts the power if 30mA of current starts to take a path that it shouldn't (like through a human body). In Finland, these devices started to be installed in houses during the 90s, and are now required by law in wet areas such as kitchens and bathrooms. You can read more on Wikipedia about this device: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device . But what makes it special when it comes to charging EVs, is the Type B variant. Normally you only encounter Type A, which cuts power on sinusoidal residual current. Type B has additional protection, and can detect steady DC, and higher frequency current, or for combinations of alternating and direct current as may be found from single-phase or multi-phase rectifying circuits. Basically every waveform can be detected with the Type B one. Examples of where Type B should be used is EV charging stations, solar installs, frequency converters, medical devices, X-ray machines, escalators, welding gear and laboratoryequipment. This is set by standards EC 60364-7-722 och SS-EN 50178.

If a failure with over 6mA of DC leakage occurs, a normal type A GFCI will become blind! This is why it is so important to have this device. Some EVSEs outright lack the built in DC-protection, like the Tesla Wall Connector. http://www.gycom.com/docs/default-source...f?sfvrsn=0

Now that we know why the GFCI device is so important, let's get to installing one! The workshop is located in a old building, timber construction from 1912. At some point during the 90s, the workshop got a renewed electrical system. Renewed is a strong word, since the more you look at it the worse it gets.

The old fuse box uses ceramic porcelaine style fuses, and there is no easy way to add the GFCI. The old box has no waterproof (IPXX) ratings. It will be necessary to replace the whole fuse box with a more modern one.

So I contacted an electrician, and we went to town. No going back now!

We settled on a Hager enclosure, and added some extra room at the bottom incase any upgrades will be needed in the future.

Labelling all the wiring

The garage recieves three-phase 25A, which I'll definately be using more of in the future.The old unit was mounted directly onto the wooden walls, so we put some insulation behind the unit to make it even safer.

Once it was all installed, all electrical outlets in the shop were also replaced with IP55 ones. It was so satisfying to see the completed unit.

Here is also the openEVSE powered on for the first time, quite the Fallout vibe Big Grin

I really hoped you learned something here, and I am so pleased with having a safer installation at the shop. Now every outlet is protected, and there is less risk to use the electrical system.
OffGridInTheCity likes this post
If I'm understanding correctly - then standard DC Ground Fault protection, such as built-in to Midnite Classic controllers - are only Type A?  (e.g. detect/protect against PV array short to ground from + DC).   Re:  https://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/DC%20G...lained.pdf
(09-06-2020, 03:04 PM)OffGridInTheCity Wrote: If I'm understanding correctly - then standard DC Ground Fault protection, such as built-in to Midnite Classic controllers - are only Type A?  (e.g. detect/protect against PV array short to ground from + DC).   Re:  https://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/DC%20G...lained.pdf
From the looks of it yes. Keep in mind that TypeB is a quite new thing, it was only in 2017 that it became mandatory on new installations, and until 2019 when people started to actually notice these on the market.

The spooky thing is that a 6mA DC leakage will disable Type A GFCIs, and even take out your neighbors protection!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIYo3zQJco0
Swedish video, but good infographic
So something that I get asked a lot is, "Can you do something about rapidgate?". The short answer is kind-of, but there is something you can do about it.

First what is rapidgate?
In short, rapidgate is overheating of the battery, causing slow charge speeds after the second successive quickcharge. Especially annoying on long trips. Nissan released the 40 and 62kWh packs without any thermal management system, so the battery has to rely on passive cooling, or "Natural air cooling" like Nissan says in their internal documents. This means that it is extremely annoying to take these cars on longer than 500km trips here in Finland. If you are in a hotter area, it gets even worse. Oh, and once the battery gets hot, the heat is very hard to get rid of, so to cool down the leaf you just have to wait until the next day.

Check out this video if you want to learn more on my take on solving rapidgate:

ajw22 likes this post