Powerwall build using USB Powerbanks

Power_Fabi

Hello everyone!

I recently thought about an interesting idea to build powerwall.

For a lot of other 18650 build I often sourced powerbanks. Most of the times Xiaomi 10.000mah powerbanks which contain 3 cells with 3250 mAh(LG or Sanyo). These powerbanks can often be found for around 10Usd - which equals 3.33Usd per Cell.

So why not use the Powerbanks as they are and connect them via a Usb harness?

Each Powerbank outputs 5V at 500mah (but there are others which can output up to 2A). You could connect as many powerbanks as needed in series/parrallel to reach the desired voltage/amps.

Due to the internal step op convertet that boost the voltage up to 5V the efficiency obviously sinks. Therefore the powerwall would get more secure due to the internal cell control of the powerwall.

What do you think?

That's all fine and dandy. However, at $3.33/cell, that's expensive in our book. I know they are new cells, but still. Plus, it take a LOT of the DIY aspect outta things :p

With that said, that is a good idea for a quick and dirty setup since the packs come already with the protective circuitry built in. Or, at least, they are supposed to. Not to mention you have a wall full of nice shiny perfectly fit together packs and bundled together. They could look quite awesome if put together correctly.

Power_Fabi said:
Most of the times Xiaomi 10.000mah powerbanks which contain 3 cells with 3250 mAh(LG or Sanyo). These powerbanks can often be found for around 10Usd - which equals 3.33Usd per Cell.

I think 3.33USD is cheap, I'm struggling to get quality ones for less than $10 AUD :)

When I have asked for wholesale prices for 50 or 100 bats.it is like $9.25 instead of $9.75 AUD

nkon.pl is worth checking for new cells if you can get them shipped.

Back