Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
AJW22's modular 3d printed 50kWh PowerShelf
Maybe it's me, or i'm sitting too long behind my pc.... i can't find the 2nd attachment... i'm using fusion 360, and i can't open the .scad - file :'(
You need a free opensource program called OpenSCAD.
https://www.openscad.org/downloads.html

Open the .scad file, edit parameters (bottom ~20 lines) like desired pack size , press "F6" to render, File->Export->Export as .STL
Pietershomeprojects likes this post
Modular PowerShelf using 3D printed packs.  50kWh and growing.
https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=6458

Did you build the rack shelving yourself? What kind of weight do you think it would support? Is that pretty much just slotted angle iron?
NEW Old-Stock LG 2600mAh 18650 Cells, Only $0.75/each!
^ Use discount code "BATTERY" for 10% off!
(02-19-2020, 10:28 PM)mike Wrote:

Did you build the rack shelving yourself? What kind of weight do you think it would support? Is that pretty much just slotted angle iron?

Yes, I cut slotted angle iron (plated, 40x40mm @3.2mm thickness) and put them together with M10 bolts.  And anchored to the concrete floor and wall also with M10.
I don't have any load calculations, but it's now holding 70kg x 4 =280kg and does not flex or budge one bit.
(02-19-2020, 11:08 PM)ajw22 Wrote:
(02-19-2020, 10:28 PM)mike Wrote:

Yes, I cut slotted angle iron (plated, 40x40mm @3.2mm thickness) and put them together with M10 bolts.  And anchored to the concrete floor and wall also with M10.
I don't have any load calculations, but it's now holding 70kg x 4 =280kg and does not flex or budge one bit.

Nice. I guess 70kg is the weight of one shelf?

I'm looking for a good rack to use and am having trouble finding something that is both strong enough and fits in the space I have. One battery pack weighs 15kg so I will need it strong enough to support ~120kg per shelf (7 battery packs). I'm trying to consider all of the options at this point.
(02-19-2020, 11:16 PM)mike Wrote: Nice. I guess 70kg is the weight of one shelf?

I'm looking for a good rack to use and am having trouble finding something that is both strong enough and fits in the space I have. One battery pack weighs 15kg so I will need it strong enough to support ~120kg per shelf (7 battery packs). I'm trying to consider all of the options at this point.

I haven't weighed anything, but 45g * 108 cells * 14 packs = ~70kg.
I was faced with the same issues.  Most shelves were not wide enough for 14S, or too deep to have shelves on both walls, not strong enough, etc.
Second issue was how to mount the packs onto the shelf securely (we get earthquakes here), but in an easily removable way for maintenance.  The plywood insert works well there.

I used a miter saw with those black abrasive cutting discs for the angle iron.  Best investment ever - cuts through in seconds.  A bit of PITA to clean off the burr though.
I use the same tools and material for my solar panel mounts, too.
(02-19-2020, 11:48 PM)ajw22 Wrote:
(02-19-2020, 11:16 PM)mike Wrote: Nice. I guess 70kg is the weight of one shelf?

I was faced with the same issues.  Most shelves were not wide enough for 14S, or too deep to have shelves on both walls, not strong enough, etc.
Second issue was how to mount the packs onto the shelf securely (we get earthquakes here), but in an easily removable way for maintenance.  The plywood insert works well there.

I used a miter saw with those black abrasive cutting discs for the angle iron.  Best investment ever - cuts through in seconds.  A bit of PITA to clean off the burr though.

I used those wall mount 'slotted' shelving bars and screwed them into the wall.  14s fits nicely on 48" wide.   My batteries are 120 * 14 * 44g ~= 73,920g = 162lbs each.  I used 5 of them screwed into cinder-block spread over the 48" to hold up 4 batteries (e.g. 648 pounds) - so that's about 130 pounds on each slotted shelving bar.  Seems perfectly solid;  however, I make no claims in an earthquake except they don't have 'far' to fall as there's only 2 inches between batteries and they are 'contained' by cinder-block wall and partly by a metal desk on other side so they won't 'fall over' like a bookcase might. I worry more that the house might collapse 'on' the battery bank in a several quake.
(02-20-2020, 02:03 AM)OffGridInTheCity Wrote:
(02-19-2020, 11:48 PM)ajw22 Wrote:

I used those wall mount 'slotted' shelving bars and screwed them into the wall.  14s fits nicely on 48" wide.   My batteries are 120 * 14 * 44g ~= 73,920g = 162lbs each.  I used 5 of them screwed into cinder-block spread over the 48" to hold up 4 batteries (e.g. 648 pounds) - so that's about 130 pounds on each slotted shelving bar.   Seems perfectly solid;  however, I make no claims in an earthquake except they don't have 'far' to fall as there's only 2 inches between batteries and they are 'contained' by cinder-block wall and partly by a metal desk on other side so they won't 'fall over' like a bookcase might.  I worry more that the house might collapse 'on' the battery bank in a several quake.

I went to pick up some of the slotted angle at Lowe's and holy crap it's $28 for an 8ft piece! I would need 20+ of them...
If you have a local Sam's Club near by, go back to the receiving area outside. See if they have any metal racks on a pallet. These are displays that they sell the flowers and such on. They do not reuse these and they can handle quite a bit of weight. After all, they hold many pots of flowers with water in them. The racks will be blue or white. Even comes with some OSB shelving material.

The best time to go before 12pm so you can talk to the regular receiving workers. After 12, they change shifts and those people may not know what's going on as they don't work outside stuff.
If you're lucky, you may even be able to pick up warehouse racking (the stuff they have inside that's 14ft tall) and the beams. But that might be overkill for a powerwall  Tongue

What I do is use the upright pieces for the cross bars as well instead of the using the flat pieces that are part of the rack. And then use 1/4" bolts to hold everything together. For angle supports cut a piece about 8-12" long, put a couple bevels on the ends, and then bolt them in the corners. The whole thing becomes very rigid.

I can take a couple pictures of my delivery trailer where I built the rack to hold my product.

Got some trailer pictures:
The Kilowatt Challenge, floydR, ajw22 like this post
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
Here's the rack I was talking about

They just throw those out
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)