Advanced Harvesting - 50 % Time Saving

Cherry67

Guys, I see that you ignore my extraordinary , timesaving, improved, unbeatable new harvesting and testing process i have been developing based on my Kelvin (4 wire) IR measurement results, which i have described in my Kelvin thread. :huh:

You really do ignore ist, not even contradicting to it...... :mad:

Ok, i understand you just didnt read it, who does really care for IR measurement? :D

Now, reading the title of this thread you might change your mind. :exclamation:

All the rest can be read on page 4 of the Kelvin thread, which is here:

https://secondlifestorage.com/t-Kelvin-measurement-4-Wire-connection-Inner-Resistance?page=4

Just one important thing - you need GOOD IR results for it, which can only be achieved by a 4 wire measurement. But a cheap way to do it is in my thread as well- on the pages before.

Often users won't reply to a thread, unless they have a question, or some information to add. Given that 64 users read your thread (at the time of posting this reply) I would say that it did not go un-noticed.

Cherry
I am still waiting for my Stuff from Aliexpress so that I can build the swiper so slow down man. :p
I do have the Kelvin Holders though, I will be curious how good this will test the mR with your setup.
When I get it all together I will report back with Pictures and data. Patience is a virtue desired by many but acquired by few. :cool:
Wolf

I've just had a look at your work Cherry , and to be honest I've no idea what you are doing...

You are measuring internal resistance ??? what for ??? For power walls the current is so low per cell , even with 300mOhm int reistance loses are still below 1% per cycle

camthecam said:
I think it is awesome. But for me - maybe a little complicated..

It does work.You can get the same results from measuring a cells voltage under load.

By measuring a cells internal resistance - if you have the equipment to do so accurately - can actually give you a reasonable estimate on capacity.

While Cherry's original post probably was beyond most users understanding, the theory and results are very helpful.

ozz93666 said:
I've just had a look at your work Cherry , and to be honest I've no idea what you are doing...

You are measuring internal resistance ??? what for ??? For power walls the current is so low per cell , even with 300mOhm int reistance loses are still below 1% per cycle

Oz, thanks for your opinion, it forces me to clarify even mor what i am suggesting.

I will give the conclusion first, the reasoning second, to save you from reading too much babble of me.

I am NOT measuring IR for identifying the losses of a later use.
I measure IR because an IR of >300 mOhm will most probably (>90%) be a cell with Low capacity (<1500mA), or SD, or both. That knowledge can be achieved with a single measurement, even before charging.

If your situation is, that you need EVERY somehow usable cell, no care for the time spent on 10 Cells and only 1 of the good, then be it.
If you on the orther hand have rich resources and need a high success rate on your capacity cycling, then you might put this (>300mO) in a (seconds-)stock, and put your efforts in another one with betters prospects ( having a lower IR).

Means - I do not recommend to thrash a >300 mOhm cells on the IR alone. But, i predict that you (most probably) WILL Thrash it later, because it has not enough capacity left, or turns up as SD, or both. And you CAN Know that before you even start charging.
What you do with that knowledge, is totally up to you.

The other aspect of IR, being an issue on high current applications, has nothing to do with this.

I hope, that makes clear what i am publishing here.

---------------
Ok, for the reasoning i promised:
It should be agreed knowledge that we all measure the capacity left in a cell to somehow thefine its Lifetime status, as i may call it for the moment. Cells are aging by time, by (high) temp, and by cycles, just to name the important ones. (Are there more ?)

Only a few days ago i realized ( someone talked about %capLeft as a factor) that 1900 - 2000 mAh is not a REAL good classification, given the fact it can be a type with 2000 for new, or 2800 for new. The difference should be obvious. Even More, there are cells which have 1800 as NEW. And they would end in the less preferred 1800-1900 class - just!

On the other hand, IR is (currently) only taken in consideration as a factor for usability in higher current applications, due to the losses you mention.
After my Investigation i am quite sure there is more hidden in the IR value, probably/hopefully a strong correlation of the lifetime status of the cell itself. From pure technical/chemical consideration, thats sounds very good, and the first try to put that in a sheet LOOKS very good.

Still, IR will probably not the the new classification of cells. But it may change the approach you do in qualifying your cells.

Minimum two people have said their statistical succes rate och checking cells is 30 %. Means they charge/discharge 3 cells to find a good one. That takes Apparatus and time.
When you get a prediction from IR, which cells have passed quite a good piece of their lifetime, and cocentrate on the other ones, you might increase that rate to a higher level. Getting more good cellls for the sane time/Equipment hours, with the price aof a Bine where are only 10 % good ones left in.

If that is something for depends just from the situation wher you are in.

Hope that again clarifies my reasoning.

Geek said:
camthecam said:
I think it is awesome. But for me - maybe a little complicated..

It does work.You can get the same results from measuring a cells voltage under load.

By measuring a cells internal resistance - if you have the equipment to do so accurately - can actually give you a reasonable estimate on capacity.

While Cherry's original post probably was beyond most users understanding, the theory and results are very helpful.

You are surely correct. When i write the whole process of thinking its the disadvantage that it is complicated to read and to follow. If i just post the result it is doubtful because it is not proven knowledge.
I did the top post of THIS thread exactly to get out of that dilemma.

My answer to oz hopefully does the first fix on that, thankfully he has given exactly what i needed to improve my reasoning for you all.

I don't have the equipment to accurately measure IR. However I have seen cells that increase in capacity after their first cycle. Others have reported this as well. Some even test cells twice, just to verify. It would be logical to assume that the IR would be quite high until the second cycle.

Geek said:
I don't have the equipment to accurately measure IR. However I have seen cells that increase in capacity after their first cycle. Others have reported this as well. Some even test cells twice, just to verify. It would be logical to assume that the IR would be quite high until the second cycle.

In my Kelvin thread is a description of an ultra simple and cheap electronic, including a 4 wire swiper. You can as well buy a professional for 50 $.

I have seen that capacity increase sometimes as well, but have no accurate data.
I dont believe that the IR "follows" the capacity. Yesterday i found a valid reference abou Li-Ion that "modern" LiIons do not change their IR over capacity loss by cycling. Then either we all have mostly old cells, or i will get curious about what is the reason for increased IR for "good" cells. (update And since days i am Reading a source which says the opposite)

I guess, it will be much more complex as such a simple view I have made until now.
Update: I just found a dissertation about LiIon aging in Electric car usage. 120 Pages in english. from 2017. Will be interesting what it has to offer.

In the beginning i wante to make this next 2 Posts as a puzzle for you, but i decided to lay everything open from the beginning.

See the two following cells/pairs.

The green Pair is C-measured 3205mAh, the yellow pair has 3186 mAh.

To avoid ANY misunderstangings, that is assumed (both cells of a pair behave similar) all four cells are rougly measured at 1600 mAh.

Which one would you use, assumed they are SD-Free?

image_ejkphg.jpg

Ok, i give some more information.

The yellow p. has IR 61,5 mOhm/cell, the green p. has 92,5 mOhm/cell. Does that change your mind ?

Ok, still some more.

The yellow pair has RATED 1650 mAh, which means it has a loss of about 2 % of Cap (and a good IR)
The green pair has rated 2400 mAh, with a loss of 33 % of nom. Cap.

Does that change your mind about your decisions ?
(And, The IR rating points to the better cell)

Now, the second puzzle.

The green cell, measured 1805 mAh.

The blue pair 2430 mAh, for both, means 1215 mAh per cell.

Which would you possibly use ?

image_qdrbnq.jpg

The green cell is rated 2400 mAh, and has 66 mOhms. 25 % loss of cap.

The blue pair is rated 1300 (!) mAh, and has 67 mOhms (each cell). 7 % loss of cap.

What do you think ?

( You should NOT think that i recommend to Use the lower cap cells. That would be too easy to assume. You might, perhaps, but that is not the point.
I try to show that a fixed classifying just for capacity may not at all giving you expectable good cells in these classes.

That i was not able to show you pairs with a bad specimen in the 2000 range is just lack of enough samples in my small stock).

I have to think about that 2nd example. Personally I would not use either as they are below my desired mAh rating per cell, snob that I am, I'm looking to try to maintain at 2200mAh per cell or above for my build.ThenI do test all my cell individually so I have very little experience with pairs. I assume that the IR is halved on pairs and the mR per blue cell should be 134 mΩ but what if one cell in the pair has an IR of say 25mR and the other is 109mR would that change the outcome? I don't know. Just a question.
:huh:
The first example again I would not use either one as individually they are below my sweet spot so I ask again what the IR of each cell is individually.
Yellow 123 mΩ Green 185mΩ Or a combination of different IRs?
In this case obviously the yellow pair as it has the lowest IR but close to my cutoff of 150mR. The green to the bin we go. Unless one of the greens is at say 33mΩ and the other one is at 152mΩ I would keep the low one for something different and off to the recycle bin with the other.

As I am testing more and more cells and paying more attention to the percentage of capacity and IR of each cell and not just mAh results, things are becoming much clearer as to the cells I do want in my build and the ones that get set aside for some other project. What is a couple of months more in collecting and testing cells to get the most optimum performance out of the build? In the long run it will be nice to know I have the best possible cells in the build (next to new ones) at a fraction of the cost.

Wolf

Last edited:
Wolf, as i already said, THIS examples are not intended to change your mind about THIS cells. I selected them to make you consider that by just classifying them as "2200" you might not have equal good cells in them.

Yes, IR is measured half in pairs (Kirchhoffs law), but i forgot to mention that the given IR are PER CELL. That will be fixed.
And, of course i have opened more than 10 pairs to check them individually, and i never saw real significant differences. Oh, except of one pair - it had 600mAh, and one cell had the CID triggered.... :D .

And, sure these are a little bit to low in cap as to get you trapped in a wrong decision. But, what you can see here, there are 2000mAh cells and 1800 mAh cells (New values) out there, and most of them are dismissed by a <1900mAh measurement decision, whatever their quality are. I guess, a stable 1900 mAh will be, in the long run, more useful as a nearly spent 2100 , which will secretly vanish soon and leave no traces at all ... or blow the fuse, as i have read somwhere happen.

I see that you start considering the things more by your own, and i look forward to see your opinion and advice in the future. This thing is by far not done by what i have done until now, i need you all to input.

I would love to build this. I read your whole thing. I think I understand. The 555 board I cant design. Is there a drawing somewhere ?

That's great cherry ... I applaud your research , more like this has to be done .... but ...Here is your own chart ....

pnyjdz2.jpg

Let's suppose we only measure int resistance , use only those below 150mOhm .... that will include 2 with zero capacity and 2 with below 200mAhr capacity from the 50 you keep , also 5 out of the 7 discarded have capacity over 1Ahr ...

There is a way to speed up testing . The way I do it is first to charge them all up to 4.2 .. discard any that self discharge more than .02V in oneday ... this level of self discharge will not be a problem for solar , where charging happens every day ... but it may indicate the cell is about to fail ... we don't know ... same with high int res , we assume these cells will fail first , but we are not sure ...

Anyway ... I test with this device ....

s-l225.jpg

Connecting the cellgives open circuit voltage , press the button and discharge starts (2A) ... instantly the voltage drops , and this drop gives an accuratemeasure of the internal resistance .... Allowdischarge to continue watching the flashing numbers .... After you've gone through a dozen cells you will start to recognize those with low capacity after only 30 secs into the discharge cycle.

ozz93666 said:
Connecting the cellgives open circuit voltage , press the button and discharge starts (2A) ... instantly the voltage drops , and this drop gives an accuratemeasure of the internal resistance .... Allowdischarge to continue watching the flashing numbers .... After you've gone through a dozen cells you will start to recognize those with low capacity after only 30 secs into the discharge cycle.

Measuring voltage drop under load is a good way to get an indication of internal resistance. The higher the voltage drop the higher the internal resistance.

As a side note - most 18650s from laptop batteries are not designed to discharge at 2a.

camthecam said:
I would love to build this. I read your whole thing. I think I understand. The 555 board I cant design. Is there a drawing somewhere ?

Take the signal generator i mentioned.

Oz, i dont say to stop measuring capacity.

To all, i am out for a few days, only with mobile. Feel free to discuss without me.

Geek said:
ozz93666 said:

As a side note - most 18650s from laptop batteries are not designed to discharge at 2a.

That's not my understanding .... I've just checked the cell database to clarify and have not found one cell for which this is a problem ...

They all have a max allowable discharge of over 2A ... using max discharge levels will shorten cycle life slightly ,if done regularly ... but once just for testing will have no effect.

Also , my laptop battery when new (used in my laptop) , only gives 1hr of use ... these means laptop cells in normal daily use in computers have a discharge rate of over 2A

ozz93666 said:
That's great cherry ... I applaud your research , more like this has to be done .... but ...Here is your own chart ....

pnyjdz2.jpg

Let's suppose we only measure int resistance , use only those below 150mOhm .... that will include 2 with zero capacity and 2 with below 200mAhr capacity from the 50 you keep , also 5 out of the 7 discarded have capacity over 1Ahr ...

There is a way to speed up testing . The way I do it is first to charge them all up to 4.2 .. discard any that self discharge more than .02V in oneday ... this level of self discharge will not be a problem for solar , where charging happens every day ... but it may indicate the cell is about to fail ... we don't know ... same with high int res , we assume these cells will fail first , but we are not sure ...

Anyway ... I test with this device ....

s-l225.jpg

Can You pls give details of your device? Where to buy?

Wolf, do you know If The zb206 can ne connected by true 4 wire?

Back