Tim's basement (filled) with powerrack(s)?

TimBelgium

Hello

This winter i actually start to build my own version of the powerwall.

The idea is that i can charge my plug in hybrid car from green home made solar energy.

In winter i wont have enough and in summer i will be running the entire house on this system.

The hybrid uses around 75-100kWh every week.
That means i need to average 10kWh every day. Makes close to 4000kWh every year of solar production.

I need some help with a few aspects but submit and follow me in this journey with ups and downs.

The first video is already online. And the second one will be uploaded this years. Verry maybe even a 3th one.

Here is the first video. It was a single shot without editing.

First few questions:

1. What is the best solution:
- glass fuse top and bottem solderd
- thin wire as a fuse top and bottem solderd
- wire or glass fuse on top side solderd and nikkel strips spot welded on negative side?
- spot weld top and bottem

2. I see that most 48Volt systems run 14 cells in serie. Why not 15 cells? The inverter and solar charger can accept up to 66 Volt and 15 x 4,2 = 63Volt. I will limit it to 60Volt for longer life of the 18650 cells

3. What capacity should I install if I run an 8000W continue system (2 times 5000W invertert) that can have peak for short time of 20 000W? Typical loads are 3500-4000W for a few hours. Not much peak loads. Verry few times it will hit 6500W. But that is for only 15 minutes.

I was thinking to go to 3 times 15s80p that means a capacity of around 27 kWh to start with.

Do you have the means to generate in excess of 10kWh/d ?

Yes. The solar charger that i plan on buying can handle 4800wp. I will be installing between 4500 and 5000wp. So in summer it wil generate +/_20kWh.

I can't say I was impressed by your video Tim .... all you did was a assemble a table !!!

You need to explain the bigger picture ... How many solar panels have you got , Are they on your roof ???

What are your driving habits ??? If your car is only used at night you don't need a powerwall , just charge the car directly while it's parked at your house during the day ....

Explain everything , it could save you a lot of wasted time. ....is grid electricity cheaper at night??

ozz93666 said:
I can't say I was impressed by your video Tim .... all you did was a assemble a table !!!

You need to explain the bigger picture ... How many solar panels have you got , Are they on your roof ???

I figured he's planning on showing the "whole" process. From nothing, to something, to finished. Even the basic stuff he's covering (assembling of the table for example) he's making fun and entertaining.
Perhaps he will explain why he choose each component and the reasoning behind each choice.

I hope that we don't have to wait weeks for the next video, tho. Altho, I understand that life things can inhibit production. Hopefully everything will progress smoothly :)

ozz93666 said:

What are your driving habits ??? If your car is only used at night you don't need a powerwall , just charge the car directly while it's parked at your house during the day ....

Explain everything , it could save you a lot of wasted time. ....is grid electricity cheaper at night??

Right now i only have 1450 cells tested and put in holders. Around 2000 cells u tested. And 161 laptop batteries. And BIG plans.

I have a roof where the south side is just big enough for around 4500wp of solar panels. Those and the electronics will be bought right after the winter.

Right now i need to solder the packs together and keep testing and collecting cels.

As of the first day of 2019 i will start with the roll in leadership at my work so there is a lot of time in preparating that and also preparations of christmas and new year.

My girlfriend who lives with me is currently until end winter following in the eavenings lessons. So i need to do more of home stuff.

I work in a full continue system. So i have early shifts, late shifts and night shifts.

Here in Belgium we need to pay taxes if we have gridconnected solar pannels. And those taxes are around 70% of what you save in electricity. In a few years they change our meter to a 'smart' meter and then you sell your electricity for almost free and pay the full stuff when you take it back. During night and weekends our electricity is cheeper then during piek hours (day hours).

I hope that I answered all the questions. If not, please reask. Thanks

Korishan said:
ozz93666 said:

I figured he's planning on showing the "whole" process. From nothing, to something, to finished. Even the basic stuff he's covering (assembling of the table for example) he's making fun and entertaining.
Perhaps he will explain why he choose each component and the reasoning behind each choice.

I hope that we don't have to wait weeks for the next video, tho. Altho, I understand that life things can inhibit production. Hopefully everything will progress smoothly :)

Yes. I aim making a full covering entertaining video playlist on youtube. So i and others have fun. I post all my succeses and failers so it is fun and a learning proces.

Befor next weekend there will be uploaded the next video. Part 2 of the preparations ?

TimBelgium said:
Here in Belgium we need to pay taxes if we have gridconnected solar pannels. And those taxes are around 70% of what you save in electricity. In a few years they change our meter to a 'smart' meter and then you sell your electricity for almost free and pay the full stuff when you take it back. During night and weekends our electricity is cheeper then during piek hours (day hours).

Gangster politicians and corporations , giving lip-service to green energy but all the time sabotaging the transformation with taxes on panels from China etc ..

I guess your plan is to be completely independent , cut off from the grid all together???

Remember panels need to be cleaned regularly ...

I would advise you check out making a spot welder ... very easy using 18650s as a power source , and a motorcycle starter relay to switch current ...

IMO fusing each cell is unnecessary

Good Luck.

Cut off off the grid is not legal here. Every house needs to be attached. The goal is that i only use electricity during the night from the grid in winter. When solar panels arent producing enough to cover the usage.

Or just use the grid as backup. If they "require" you to use power, then hook up a light bulb and let it run 24/7. A 40W bulb would suffice. Or use a small fan.

Then just as you add to your system and expand energy production/capacity, you move circuits over to the new panel (that is, having 2 breaker panels; inverter feeds one unit, mains is the other). Then use a transfer switch if your capacity runs too low and you need to use grid as backup.

Use the grid for charging off peak only, there are no EU regulations that I am aware of that mandate a requirement for a home to have power connected AND USED. Winter you need the grid because without around 5x more solar or a wind turbine you will not have enough energy, so the grid is not really an issue to consider. Build and make a difference...

completelycharged said:
Use the grid for charging off peak only, there are no EU regulations that I am aware of that mandate a requirement for a home to have power connected AND USED. Winter you need the grid because without around 5x more solar or a wind turbine you will not have enough energy, so the grid is not really an issue to consider. Build and make a difference...

That is exactly my plan of attack. Only use the grid off peak for charging or direct use in winter or when the battery runs out of juise.

TimBelgium said:
ozz93666 said:

Right now i only have 1450 cells tested and put in holders. Around 2000 cells u tested. And 161 laptop batteries. And BIG plans.

I have a roof where the south side is just big enough for around 4500wp of solar panels. Those and the electronics will be bought right after the winter.

Right now i need to solder the packs together and keep testing and collecting cels.

As of the first day of 2019 i will start with the roll in leadership at my work so there is a lot of time in preparating that and also preparations of christmas and new year.

My girlfriend who lives with me is currently until end winter following in the eavenings lessons. So i need to do more of home stuff.

I work in a full continue system. So i have early shifts, late shifts and night shifts.

I hope that I answered all the questions. If not, please reask. Thanks

Korishan said:
ozz93666 said:

Yes. I aim making a full covering entertaining video playlist on youtube. So i and others have fun. I post all my succeses and failers so it is fun and a learning proces.

Befor next weekend there will be uploaded the next video. Part 2 of the preparations ?

You have to pay taxes if you have grid attached solar panels? Seriously?

So you pay for the panels, install them... supply power to the grid and have to pay for the priviledge to do so? That is insane.

Yes. 5000wp solar self installed cost 5000. Lets say in 20 years, you need 1 new inverter. So total cost is 6300.

Taxes on an 4000w inverter is 100,58/kw = 402,32 every year to pay tax. Electricity cost saved = 800
Monney saved in 1 year = 400. Payback time is 16 years...

Can you provide a link to those tax laws because my Google fu is failing me. Seems most bizarre.

I can confirm Tim's tax problem ... have it also :p

It's a temporary (read permanent) tax to ofsetthe costs made by the previousgovernment which(over)subsidizedsolar installations.

Interesting. I read that as the charge is only applicable to those people who's meters go backwards when exporting solar energy, thus cancelling out the revenue generated by the electricity companies to the equivalent of your entire production. Net metering. Those who have separate export and import meters are not subject to this charge. Presumably their export rate is far lower than the import rate (most markets this is true), so I envisage that charge as a method of evening the field. Is that not the case?

Does Belgium also have feed in tariffs?

No. They are working to roll out 'smart' meters. The roll out should be on 1 januari. But software problems came up and delayed that until march. I think that it is so they can give us monney for the electricity or. Pay monthly based electricity instead of yearly calculations of your meter readoud. Eather way. Not benefitical for grid ty solar systems.

TimBelgium said:
No. They are working to roll out 'smart' meters. The roll out should be on 1 januari. But software problems came up and delayed that until march. I think that it is so they can give us monney for the electricity or. Pay monthly based electricity instead of yearly calculations of your meter readoud. Eather way. Not benefitical for grid ty solar systems.

There are similar moves afoot here in the UK, the end of new FiT approvals and a failing project to introduce smart meters. This is combined with an intention to bill based more on connection to the grid (as a service charge) rather than billing based on consumption (/kWh)

Either way,there is now no methodfor small scale generators to "sell" their surplus - fortunately theres plenty of zero export and grid limiting inverters being made available.

Use it or lose it.

Back