Batrium communication with Pi running Victron?s Venus firmware

Jon

Hi
Im looking at running a Batrium Watchmon6 (when theyre available) with a Victron Multiplus & Victron Venus firmware running on a Raspberry Pi 3B.

The Watchmon to Venus communication is via CAN but the Pi 3B doesnt come with CAN.

Has anyone run this setup that can suggest a CAN hat that works?

What do you need the raspberry for?

Charly144 said:
What do you need the raspberry for?

Probably to run the Victron "Venus" control s/w - maybe also talking to some other Victron gear in the system?

Jon said:
.............& Victron Venus firmware running on a Raspberry Pi 3B.

Charly144 said:
But i assume Jon would have mentioned that he wants to replace venus by rpi, but Id say he should givr us his view... :)

Didnt you read the entire first post ?

Obviously not precisely enough ?:)

Thanks for sharing! I just ordered some ve.direct usb cables. Going to give this a test run next week!

Thanks all.
I thought I had reply notifications turned on but I didnt get any.

Anyway, yes I want to run Venus software on a Pi.
Ill be using a Victron Multiplus inverter charger and a Batrium BMS.
The CAN hat for the Pi that I found that was proven compatible ble cost nearly $100 Aus for postage, the hat itself was reasonably priced.
Ill keep looking for a local supplier and take a gamble on it working.

The Pi to Multiplus comms isnt an issue, its the Watchmon to Pi comms as the Watchmon is expecting CAN to connect to a Venus.
Thanks
Jon

Batrium to pi is easiest done via wifi IF you ask me. So IF you got wifi use that and its Up and running. Look att watchmonudplistener that i made.

Yes Wire is Always Wire :)

Jon said:
Has anyone run this setup that can suggest a CAN hat that works?

We've been using a PiCan2 Duo* for some CAN projects. Its worked perfectly so far, except for one snag. It has two CAN chips. On the board they are labelled A & B, in the software 0 & 1. 0 maps to B and 1 to A which beat us for a while! Skip ahead to 8:30 for the reveal or watch the whole thing if you want to learn some basics.

I'm interested to hear how you get on with your logging. I'm jealous of the SOC charts you can get from a Tesla Powerwall and would like to get these out of my Batrium somehow.

*http://skpang.co.uk/catalog/pican2-canbus-board-for-raspberry-pi-2-p-1475.html

daromer said:
Nialdarwin something like this https://powerflow.romer.se ?
Your whole system and approach is awesome :) Those are beautiful real-time flows-a bit like live share price data.
I'd like graphs showing historic how my battery, panels, use ave been over the past day/month/whatever time span - like share price charts.

NialDarwin... Grafana. Check out my other stuff.

Jon said:
Thanks all.
I thought I had reply notifications turned on but I didnt get any.

Anyway, yes I want to run Venus software on a Pi.
Ill be using a Victron Multiplus inverter charger and a Batrium BMS.
The CAN hat for the Pi that I found that was proven compatible ble cost nearly $100 Aus for postage, the hat itself was reasonably priced.
Ill keep looking for a local supplier and take a gamble on it working.

The Pi to Multiplus comms isnt an issue, its the Watchmon to Pi comms as the Watchmon is expecting CAN to connect to a Venus.
Thanks
Jon

Hi Jon
Are you wanting information on how to port the Venus image into a raspi?
I have a couple of systems running on the raspi with all function running, and ported to the Victron VRM portal etc.
The only test to is the can bus comms to a BYD battery bank.
i am using a Mulitplus 2 inverter charger as backup and grid tie etc.
I has full touch screen control and WiFi and GPS
If you want any advise on how to do this etc. just ask

The track software dies and in like on the other Side of the globe

Back