Anyone have experience on Ferroamp?

Powersaver

Hi, I'm new to this forum, i tried searching but did not find anything.

I have been offered a solar setup based on a two way three phase inverter and MTTP controllers "Solar optimizers" from Ferroamp (forum wont let me paste a link as I'm a newbie here, you can find more info of them at ferroamp dot com).

Do anyone have any experience or second hand information on these products or the company?

Ferroamp is a (still) small Swedish company. The good news is that i was able to call and chat directly to their engineers, and they seemed happy to answer my (probably) unusual questions about their system.

As of now they sell their own ad on DC-DC charger/discharger for batteries, and it's relying on talking to the batteries BMS. As of now, they only seem to support two or three battery vendors BMS-systems.

The cons:
Small company, who knows what will be supported or not.
Small company, how long will they will be around?
Small user base, less or non-existent community support.

The pros:
Being able to talk directly with engineers is of course a huge plus, and of right now this ads up for lack of community support.
I like their design with a local DC grid, it does makes the install more "future proof". It's easy to add on battery storage, more inverter power or more solar or wind power if wanted/needed.
Another pro with their two way inverter is that it can help balance all three phases. In my instance it would allow me to run a single phase 32A load while only having three phase 20A to my property (could be useful to charge EV's).

The planned install is as follows:

60pcs of 310W Panels

3pcs of Solar optimizers (20 panels on each).

Energy hub XL with 5 modules of 3.5kW for a total of 17.5kW of inverter capacity (expandable up to 8 modules).

The roof for all panels are south facing with no shadowing.

What are your thoughts?

It would appear to be a competent system, but with most new Companies any purchase will involve some degree of risk in terms of future support if the Company fails. A ten year manufacturers warranty is worthless if the Company no longer exists.

So if you are minded to purchase from them (and I can see no reason why not if all of your requirements are satisfied) you might want to ensure any warranty is externally insured, such that a non repairable failure would see you fully or partially reimbursed, or a comparable alternative system installed.

Just to update if anyone else is finding this thread, we decided to go for it. Time will tell i guess.

Decided to post here again as it is a bit of an unusual system. It has now been up and running for a month with no issues.

We did make some small changes, went for all black panels that were 300W instead of 310W but managed to fit two more to make up fr the loss in kWp.

Total of 62 panels from Perlight model PLM-300MA-60:

image_iqppmn.jpg

image_tejqgm.jpg

17,5kW two-way inverter (actually 28kW in hardware, but software capped) with three solar string optimizers (MPPT's).

image_pqiblj.jpg

The inverter have MQTT-support so i got it enabled and used Node-Red to fetch data into influxdb, then Grafana to visualize:

image_luecwn.jpg

Still waiting for delivery of a small 5,76kWh battery to go with it.

The all black panels seem to take a performance hit when hot, but living in northern Sweden we don't get that many "hot" days anyway. During the recent European heat wave we got a few days of 30+C and no clouds. The maximum continuous output was only at about 14,5-15kW. I'm looking forward to next spring, as we usually get a lot of sun combined with cold temperatures.

Yes, it's a Nilar battery. From the latest news i've got it was scheduled to leave Nilar for my installers warehouse 2019-09-20, they need to re-pack it for delivery to me (probably a bulk delivery from Nilar). If I'm lucky it might arrive here later this week.

The battery is just for fun, and to be able to upgrade the system to off grid capacity in the future (when that functionality comes, a battery will be needed). The reason for buying the battery now is that until the end of the year you can get it subsidized with up to 60% paid by the state.

Back