Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can these inverters be used for 400V 3 phase? MPI 4K discontinued!!
(05-23-2019, 09:48 AM)RikH Wrote: Ok, got answer from both Steven (Voltronic) and Peggy (MPPsolar), Model 4K will be discontinued. So now its plan B, the 5K model. Parallelable (is that a word?) to 3 phase / 400V AC.

Are you intending that your entire house load is feed through whatever inverters you install ?

..... therefore you are wanting to size the inverters based on your maximum anticipated instantaneous load ?
(05-23-2019, 10:09 AM)Sean Wrote:
(05-23-2019, 09:48 AM)RikH Wrote: Ok, got answer from both Steven (Voltronic) and Peggy (MPPsolar), Model 4K will be discontinued. So now its plan B, the 5K model. Parallelable (is that a word?) to 3 phase / 400V AC.

Are you intending that your entire house load is feed through whatever inverters you install ?

..... therefore you are wanting to size the inverters based on your maximum anticipated instantaneous load ?

Yes. And yes, but there isn't enough budget do do all at once. I need lots of panels since the goal is to kick out natural gas and be self-sufficient in the end. Also in wintertime.
(05-23-2019, 10:21 AM)RikH Wrote: Yes. And yes, but there isn't enough budget do do all at once. I need lots of panels since the goal is to kick out natural gas and be self-sufficient in the end. Also in wintertime.

You, along with lots of other folks have a flawed understanding of grid connected battery system topology.

In just a few words: when on grid, a battery system will operate in parallel with the grid supply, meaning it will supply an amount of energy (based on the systems rating), the remaining requirement will be sourced from the grid.

eg: a 3000va battery system and a 5000va load = battery system @ max output + 2000va from the grid.

A technically competent system will load sense at the point of utility entry (to the property) and drive the battery system such that your grid demand is kept very  close to zero (while you have sufficient battery capacity)

A longer explanation can be found here - https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:d...ion-manual
(05-23-2019, 12:23 PM)Sean Wrote: You, along with lots of other folks have a flawed understanding of grid connected battery system topology.

Why do you think so? Is it because I don't follow the path you think is the best? I see you post that Victron link in lots of threads. Now with that out of the way I read a lot of your postings and I know they make sense. So to get back to the topic:

(05-23-2019, 12:23 PM)Sean Wrote: A technically competent system will load sense at the point of utility entry (to the property) and drive the battery system such that your grid demand is kept very  close to zero (while you have sufficient battery capacity)

Isn't that exactly what the MPI inverter is doing? Grid goes in and load is connected on the other side so it can measure exact how much current is going in and out the grid. No need for extra CT.

(05-23-2019, 12:23 PM)Sean Wrote: .........when on grid, a battery system will operate in parallel with the grid supply, meaning it will supply an amount of energy (based on the systems rating), the remaining requirement will be sourced from the grid.

Agreed. The MPI inverter has a grid relay for that.

Thanks for your input Sean and now please don't think I don't appreciate it! Wink
(05-23-2019, 10:21 AM)RikH Wrote: Yes. And yes ....

That's why ....
MPI inverter do not have any load sensing default. It is either or.. You can hook up an SDM630 meter but how it works I dont know. I never got it to work and no help... I designed my own software to control that.

If you have the money Victron outperforms MPI/MPP gear 10x Smile
The Ultimate DIY Solar and build place
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 83kWh LiFePo4 | 10kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh | Automatic trip breakers, and alot more
(05-23-2019, 01:39 PM)daromer Wrote: If you have the money Victron outperforms MPI/MPP gear 10x Smile

That is exactly my point. The money...

Anyway, after you repaired your MPI 10kW did you have any problems with it? Still satisfied? Did you find other negative sides or on the other hand very good things that are not known?

Just curious.
Daniel's MPI didn't need repairing, it just couldn't be made to work in the manner he wanted.

It's very often false economy to convince yourself that the cheaper product is the best option when you consider long term reliability and functionality - if you cant afford a quality system right now, save up for one.
Sean it did need repairing. Main mosfet board was blown after 14 months and Guarantee was 12...

Negative sides? more than it consumes way to much energy into heat?  250w idle load and around 80% efficient.
The fact that the software inside it is caotic and trying to work with its serial data is far from stable. The fact that the guarantee is 1 year and the support for it is non existent and I have had to call MPP guys multiple times because they stop answering email?
And Yes i have offered MPP help and offer to work with them or the manufacturer to sort things but they said it wasnt needed. I think it could be a good product except the people behind it doesnt care im afraid....

And yeah the positive thing? It was cheaper to buy initially....

Next time it break I will go for a better brand but yeah it will cost 2-3x the price most likely but worth it! Just the losses make up for some of that money over time Smile
RikH likes this post
The Ultimate DIY Solar and build place
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 83kWh LiFePo4 | 10kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh | Automatic trip breakers, and alot more
Ok Daromer, thanks for your reply. That is helpful! I'll take it into consideration. Any idea why the losses are so big?