Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snowlar Panels and a slightly off topic use for surplus energy
Not a bad day for me so far and I got another 3 hrs to go. Big Grin

Wolf
If 18 X 650 = 2200+mAh then we have power! 
May all your Cells have an IR of 75mΩ or less Smile
Last count as of 8/7/2019
Total Number of Cells Recorded and processed                 6149
Total Cells required for PowIRwall                                   2856
Total Cells ≥2200mAh, ≥80%, ≥35mΩ, ≤75mΩ, ≥4.12V   2760
For Info Google Drive
Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
(02-03-2019, 06:04 PM)Wolf Wrote: Not a bad day for me so far and I got another 3 hrs to go. Big Grin

Wolf

Nice

Whats your wether like today? Ours has been bloody awful.
I put an order in already for two more micro-inverters but I'm thinking I'll get the rest of them.
I was going to save up for the AC coupled battery inverter/charger so I could get my batteries in service before doing the rest of the panel's.
If I get the batteries on first at least I'll be reducing my grid consumption and would have more funds a available to get the micro-inverters.
UK Southwest.

7 kWp Solar Panels (28 x 250Wp Shinetime Mono).
14 X APS YC500i Micro Inverters.
28 X 40P 18650 cell packs/modules configured as 14S 80P.
Sofar Mass Energy ME3000SP AC coupled charger/inverter.
Still sourcing and processing cells for powerwall.
(02-03-2019, 06:27 PM)chuckp Wrote: Whats your wether like today?

Cold and sunny for the morning afternoon thickening clouds.

I'm done so not a bad day.

Getting ready for the superbowl. The only time I watch Football (American)
Mostly its F1

Wolf
For Info Google Drive
Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
(02-03-2019, 09:06 PM)Wolf Wrote:
(02-03-2019, 06:27 PM)chuckp Wrote: Whats your wether like today?

Cold and sunny for the morning afternoon thickening clouds.

I'm done so not a bad day.

Getting ready for the superbowl. The only time I watch Football (American)
Mostly its F1

Wolf

Yes we hear from our American family and friends when the superbowl gets going and we try to catch a few online matches when we can, but they tend not to be shown much over here. To be honest I still don't fully understand it but I still enjoy getting involved when I'm over. We also enjoy a trip to the baseball stadium and love the tailgating, we don't get that over here.

I must admit I've been wearing my Packers shirt that cousin Jim sent over.

Anyway enjoy the Football (even if it is American LoL).

Much better generation today.
Managed 3.97 kWh so on the increase again.

Trouble with the UK is we really get to days the same. I say "we don't have a climate in the UK, just weather and it's usually bad".

I completely missed summer last year, I think I was putting the kettle on at the time.

How have you faired today?
UK Southwest.

Fair to midland.
But you have to remember that I have a 1000 GTIL2 that only responds to demand as I do not feed the grid.
So what you are seeing is the GTIL taking over my house usage up to 900 watts when the sun is out.
Also i'm not using any juice as I'm at work so really nothing is running other than the refrigerator and the heat circulation pumps as necessary. Oh and 14 chargers. Big Grin
So unfortunately if I don't need it it dumps the excess. 
Hence that is why I am in the process of building a storage system with 18650s . I hate seeing the panels capable of producing so much more but I have no way of storing it. My max in the summer was close to 50A at 58V for at least 4 to 5 hours but alas when the led acids where charged and I was only floating them there was no where to put the rest. I hate seeing the MPPTs going to 99.99V and just flashing with no output.
The LIs I can force feed and then run most of the night on them as I can set my cutoff V a lot lower than the led acids.
I have my GTIL set to wake up at 52.5V and go to sleep at 52V that way I can keep the Led acids from going bad and sulfaiting.
Plus they are fully charged all the time in case of an emergency and I can fire up the Inverter and run for quite a while without grid input.

Wolf
For Info Google Drive
Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
(02-04-2019, 09:48 PM)Wolf Wrote: Fair to midland.
But you have to remember that I have a 1000 GTIL2 that only responds to demand as I do not feed the grid.
So what you are seeing is the GTIL taking over my house usage up to 900 watts when the sun is out.
Also i'm not using any juice as I'm at work so really nothing is running other than the refrigerator and the heat circulation pumps as necessary. Oh and 14 chargers. Big Grin
So unfortunately if I don't need it it dumps the excess. 
Hence that is why I am in the process of building a storage system with 18650s . I hate seeing the panels capable of producing so much more but I have no way of storing it. My max in the summer was close to 50A at 58V for at least 4 to 5 hours but alas when the led acids where charged and I was only floating them there was no where to put the rest. I hate seeing the MPPTs going to 99.99V and just flashing with no output.
The LIs I can force feed and then run most of the night on them as I can set my cutoff V a lot lower than the led acids.
I have my GTIL set to wake up at 52.5V and go to sleep at 52V that way I can keep the Led acids from going bad and sulfaiting.
Plus they are fully charged all the time in case of an emergency and I can fire up the Inverter and run for quite a while without grid input.

Wolf

Oh I see.

Is there any way you could dump it to an immersion heater for your Hot water production?

I have an Earthwise Solic 200 controller that directs any surplus generated energy to my heat bank (800L thermal store) used for wet central heating and hot water demands.

https://www.earthwiseproducts.co.uk

As the immersion heater is purely a resistive load it will take what ever the controller throws at it up to a max of 3kW.
Once the heat bank is at full temp then it switches off and the surplus exports to the grid.

In the summer i was exporting huge amounts to the grid hence the need to store it. I want to become zero export, plan is to supply home load and charge batteries during the day. If batteries are fully charged then dump to heat bank. Once heat bank is up to temp then dump to hot tub or vice versa.

Is there something similar you could use?
UK Southwest.

You know I never thought of that. I do have to wrap my head around that concept though as I have an instant on boiler system in my place.
It is radiant heat and hot water instant on fired with propane. So i do not have a water storage tank to heat.

It would be interesting though to somehow get a "reserve" solar powered heated water tank to incorporate into the system.
Somehow potable water and radiant heating water would need to be separated probably through a heat exchanger of some sort as it is now.
I will be scratching my head on that one for a while but hey it's a good idea.
It would theoretically reduce my propane consumption as I would circulate the heated water first and then when that runs below temp kick the propane back on. Hmm concept to reality would take some thinking and my plumber would ask me "Now what are you thinking about" Big Grin He's into this stuff and a good friend to boot.

Not the greatest of pictures but here it is.

Wolf
For Info Google Drive
Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
(02-05-2019, 12:28 PM)Wolf Wrote: You know I never thought of that. I do have to wrap my head around that concept though as I have an instant on boiler system in my place.
It is radiant heat and hot water instant on fired with propane. So i do not have a water storage tank to heat.

It would be interesting though to somehow get a "reserve" solar powered heated water tank to incorporate into the system.
Somehow potable water and radiant heating water would need to be separated probably through a heat exchanger of some sort as it is now.
I will be scratching my head on that one for a while but hey it's a good idea.
It would theoretically reduce my propane consumption as I would circulate the heated water first and then when that runs below temp kick the propane back on. Hmm concept to reality would take some thinking and my plumber would ask me "Now what are you thinking about" Big Grin He's into this stuff and a good friend to boot.

Not the greatest of pictures but here it is.

Wolf

I fit them in various ways. PV only, Thermal only or combined PV/Thermal. For hot water only. (Then there's my system).

PV only: Potable water feed (isolater, double check non-return valve and a suitably sized expansion vessel) supplies an insulated direct stainless steel tank (This is a per-heat tank) with electric immersion heater supplied via solar generated surplus (like my Solic 200 or similar). i use the boost function once every month or so during the winter. This gives a 90 minute boost thats perfect for pasteurization and prevents any little nasties growing during times of low heat gain.
The hot water draw off from tank supplies the on demand water heater.
You will need to fit thermostat blending valve between the tank and heater to reduce the supply temperature to around 60 degC or approx 140 F. Assuming your water heater is a modulating burner not fixed rate it should cut off at around 140 F, this also acts as an anti-scold valve in the event that the immersion heater thermostat should fail. The tank will also need a temperature/pressure relief valve fitted.
if the water temp in the tank is higher than 140 F the burner won't fire and the hot water passes straight through the heater.
If the tank temp is lower than 140 F the burner will fire but modulate way down to it's lowest rate. This significantly reduces your propane consumption.

Thermal only: as above but uses an indirect tank iinstead. The thermal panels are connected to the coil in the tank via a thermal solar pump unit or a drain back (not my choice of preference) vessel to heat it indirectly. This still has a grid supplied immersion heater for pasteurization during times of low heat gain.

Combined PV/Thermal: is exactly the same as thermal only in that the immersion is supplied from surplus solar generated energy.

I will post a few diagrams as soon as I can draw them up.

My system is a little more complicated as I also have flue gas heat recovery fitted to my boiler. My flue gases leave my boiler at approx 2-4 degC above ambient.

Please note that your building codes may differ to our building regulations, so you would need to confirm that it's up to code.

When I get time I'll post a few pics and drawings of my system if your interested. It would probably be more suited to your needs.
UK Southwest.

chuckp,

Yikes, that is some description, you are not a plumber or better yet a submarine engineer by trade by any chance?

Yes i would like to see some diagrams when you have time. With proper labeling and a building code of approval stamp. Big Grin
No just kidding. I would venture to go with PV only. Are you saying that you would circulate the potable through the boiler to keep it from firing which in turn goes through my heat exchanger to feed the radiant. Additional benefit would be hot water of course. I know that my Honywell reset unit can handle a lot of parameters so I would have to dig out the manual for that. Smile

Correct me if I am wrong. Tank insulated (filled with big rocks Tongue ) with utility cold water feed. PV source and Solic 200 to heat water. Expansion tank of course tied into the present cold water side input of the boiler. Potable hot water demand goes straight through the boiler and if temp is low boiler fires. If temp is within parameters of temp sensor boiler idles. Radiant demand would require a circulation pump for potable (already there), to circulate from the tank through the boiler through the heat exchanger(radiant has its own circulation pump of course plus zone valves) and back to the tank? Or just tie the Tank with its own circulation pump to the present heat exchanger with priority over boiler till temp requires boiler to wake up and supplement. Or a combination of both?
Tricky but doable I think.

Wolf
For Info Google Drive
Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
(02-06-2019, 12:53 PM)Wolf Wrote: chuckp,

Yikes, that is some description, you are not a plumber or better yet a submarine engineer by trade by any chance?

Yes i would like to see some diagrams when you have time. With proper labeling and a building code of approval stamp. Big Grin
No just kidding. I would venture to go with PV only. Are you saying that you would circulate the potable through the boiler to keep it from firing which in turn goes through my heat exchanger to feed the radiant. Additional benefit would be hot water of course. I know that my Honywell reset unit can handle a lot of parameters so I would have to dig out the manual for that. Smile

Correct me if I am wrong. Tank insulated (filled with big rocks Tongue ) with utility cold water feed. PV source and Solic 200 to heat water. Expansion tank of course tied into the present cold water side input of the boiler. Potable hot water demand goes straight through the boiler and if temp is low boiler fires. If temp is within parameters of temp sensor boiler idles. Radiant demand would require a circulation pump for potable (already there), to circulate from the tank through the boiler through the heat exchanger(radiant has its own circulation pump of course plus zone valves) and back to the tank? Or just tie the Tank with its own circulation pump to the present heat exchanger with priority over boiler till temp requires boiler to wake up and supplement. Or a combination of both?
Tricky but doable I think.

Wolf

Yes buddy.

Electrical, Plumbing and Heating technician, almost 35 years in.
Wolf likes this post
UK Southwest.