Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DIY 18650 20 bay Arduino managed Charger
Simply put a Digital pin can be 2 states (there are exceptions) a Pin can be 5v or classed as high, or zero volts classed as low.
zero volts normally means ground.
By grounding the OK button, starts the HW386 discharging.

Mike.
YOLO is wrong, You live every day. You only Die once so it should be YODO. Angel
I have only played with an arduino briefly a long time ago.
So you are effectively "pushing the button to go" with the arduino?
Can you not use another pin to push the voltage setting button the right number of times to set the desired voltage?
I have not looked into that deeply enough. Theoretically it IS possible. However as there are 20 HW586 units, there are only so many pins available on the Arduino. 24 are already in use for the relay switching, the I2C channels are in use for the 20 INA219 sensors and 4 Analog pins are in use for temps sensors..

Mike.
YOLO is wrong, You live every day. You only Die once so it should be YODO. Angel
OK guys .. update on the Cell Reco board.

I have all but 10 ZB2L3's or HW586's depending on what you receive. I am not that realy fussed. An approxomate of the cells capacity is fine. I am not building a ship to mars. I found with the ZB unit i have the same cell never shows the same results twice anyway. Moving on.

The 20 INA219's arrived and have been fitted and wired to the Mux. With great apprehension I fired up the Mega, loaded the code and it worked like a charm!. Wife asked what all the hooting and hollering and dancing was about.

So then I moved onto relay control (Different code sketch atm) , perfect!! Can get them to march on and off in perfect step. ( More dancing). Have yet to combine the 2 sketches, but hey, 6 months ago I had'nt heard of an Arduino..

So pic one is the cell side of the project, Arduino, CC/CV units (4) and 4 cell holders to the right out of view.

This pic is the cell 1-4 section. This is repeated five time till cell 20.

So this is how it works.. from cell holder , run into Reverse Polarity Circuit, next inline is a INA219. This reads current and voltage etc in both directions, both charging and discharging.
Next inline is the relays, these switch between the TP charger and the HW capacity checker.

Currently I am wiring up on 4 cell row, to make sure the concept works. IF, and a big if, the HW does not loose minimum voltage setting when being recycled, I have found a point on the pcb if grounded momentarilly will trigger the pcb to start a discharge cycle. This means I can set the unit to C/D (charge/discharge) as many times as I wish.

And that fellow tinkerers is as far as I have progressed to date.

As always coments/jokes/idea's always welcome, as well as beer and money..
Happy Easter...

Till later.. Mike.
With those zb's i have the same experience.
I try to get them all the same but its not duable.
Only thing you can get the same is the voltage numbers.
I found even one that was 1 volt of!
15 of them where the same in measurement in volt
So with the 30 i have, 15 where going to the next "round"

I sorted out 15 good (the same) resistors, and tested them for discharging.
I set aside 10 that are pretty much the same.
Those ones will be used for my dischart test.

Apparently, testing them with the resistors, was a waste of time, the tolerance was 10% total.
But still give me a good feeling.

There are some proper ways to test them, but i have to dig in to that, and some new equipment.($$$$)
I don't know exactly, maybe someone can chime in on this

Your tester is looking good.

Just a thought of one cent.
If you connect those zb to an external power supply, with some capacitors, you won't have to set the cut off every time.
They don't consume much power.

An other thought for one cent
Desolder the start switch and put some simple electronics on it, if it will get a signal it will start.
With a small relay and a transistor, perhaps?
I hope you understand what i mean, my english is not good enough to explain properly.
Also with my understanding of electronics.

Hope this helps, best
Well all the components are here and wired up except for the thermistors in the  special 4 bay area.. I have fitted 3 but not built the other one as yet.

Arduino is doing well, the MegunoLink GUI is amazing! and well worth the few bucks to register it.

other news, working on a multiplexer set up to control the HW586's , should be real easy to get it to automate them , I used a spare as a test pig, and the patchwork wiring worked perfectly. so a pair of 16:1 MUX units will be handy.

Individual control of the relays from the GUI works like a charm . The status of each cell is updated hundreds of times a min, the Mega is really handling the job very well indeed.

I have spent more time on the Interface I have a lot of things I'd like to add to it. The sketch is already up to revision 40 or so, mostly little things, but there was two major re-writes in that 40.

If anyone is interested I can do a screen cap of the interface and post it here..

Caio for now.. Mike.
Korishan and Wolf like this post
Screen caps are always desired! Wink Also videos.

Looks like the project is chooching along pretty nicely. Cool
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
Update us gremlin!

(02-20-2019, 11:38 PM)Korishan Wrote: When you get them, verify that the ICs are legit TP units. There's are LOT of fakes/clones out there. This is one reason why I stopped bothering with the TP4056 (i used to sell them on ebay; i stopped when i realized the ones i had were fakes).

How about the TP5100? Do I have to worry about clones too?
(07-19-2019, 12:00 AM)barns Wrote: Update us gremlin!

(02-20-2019, 11:38 PM)Korishan Wrote: When you get them, verify that the ICs are legit TP units. There's are LOT of fakes/clones out there. This is one reason why I stopped bothering with the TP4056 (i used to sell them on ebay; i stopped when i realized the ones i had were fakes).

Probably not. The market is plagued with fake TP4056, but no fake/clone TP5100s have been reported yet.
Korishan likes this post
(07-19-2019, 03:12 AM)Geek Wrote:
(07-19-2019, 12:00 AM)barns Wrote: Update us gremlin!

Probably not. The market is plagued with fake TP4056, but no fake/clone TP5100s have been reported yet.

Great. Got my TP5100s, INA219, 8channel relay, arduino, ESP8266. Initial plan is for for 8bays. Just waiting for the cell holders. 

One issue I have with this design is how do I cut off the supply from the 5v power to stop feeding the TPs if I detect something wrong. 
Do I need another set of relays? Would a transistor switch do the job?