Bank of laptop batteries for powerwall

Zenyo

Hi, Friends!
Does anyone have experience with battery bank projects using intact laptop batteries?

I've come across a big load of almost-spec laptop batteries. I've disassembled and tested 10 battery packs (6 x Panasonic NCR18650) and they range about200mah below spec(2800mah).

Instead of removing and building my own battery packs, I have been looking for the female battery plugs. My idea is to wire them all parallel to a bus bar. Output is 10.6V at 5.7Ah, step up to 12V and run an inverter.

Ideas? Thoughts? Bad advice?
Much appreciated!

There is a company called EarthWalk
They have a charger unit that plugs into the wall that chargers 20 laptop batteries at the same time.

The units I have use there batteries that plug into the Power Supply Port on your laptop So Mine bypasses the on-board battery.

But I know they make rack units that laptop batteries plug too for schools and large offices.
Maybe look into finding some used unit and take it apart and see if you could not only charge but pull current from it .
But remember the voltage Don't think the voltage on the output of the laptop battery would work to well.

Here are some pics of the units I have

Good Luck !
Avery

image_nvgdft.jpg

image_uiihzq.jpg

image_nejszj.jpg

Sorry about the mess. . . . . . That room is under construction :)

It's probably 10.8V, not 10.6V. But any way, this isn't the output but the nominal voltage of the 3s battery. Fully charged 12.6V so you'd probably need to boost it to 14V to run a 12V inverter.

Other than that the proprietary BMS will probably be the biggest problem.

Raven, how so?

Zenyo said:

Raven, how so?

The BMS is usually the primary cause for failure/overheating/fire in laptops. You can't program it. You can't monitor it. And some won't operate without being plugged in to the computer. Of course there are some exceptions...

Because it's proprietary, simple as that. Like mike said, proprietary means you don't know the specs, you don't know what it does and how it does it, it's difficult to follow its operation, you don't know about its data connections, if there are some, and so on...

DarkRaven said:
Because it's proprietary, simple as that. Like mike said, proprietary means you don't know the specs, you don't know what it does and how it does it, it's difficult to follow its operation, you don't know about its data connections, if there are some, and so on...

Thanks so much for the insights, gents!

Back