Hard to open Bosch pack

winny

image_hnnsiw.jpg

How do I proceed from here? Anyone seen it before? Is it glued in place?

It's a single piece of plastic and this can't be opened further without destruction. The cells can be pushed out lengthwise after all the connections have been removed. It might require a bit of force, always push them from their negative side.
Probably not worth it though as the cells are rusting.

I have stripped one of those recently. Total PITA and a waste of time.

I ended up cutting the plastic with a hacksaw and split them out.

The ones I've opened have the 2 plastic parts being held together by special screws.

You need something like this to unscrew them:

image_ikhrnf.jpg

Make sure you get the version with holes on the end as most power toolscrews also have a bump that prevents you from using standard/flat ones.

winny said:
How do I proceed from here? Anyone seen it befor? Is it glued in place?

That looks like a tough one.
I don't see anywhere to split the red holder. Had to be put together somehow though. Possibly ultrasonic weld like laptop packs.
As far as the proper tools to take apart some of the other packs. It's called a tamper proof security torx screw.
Don't know why they call it "Tamper Proof" as they do sell the tools so you can tamper with it. :dodgy:

image_comzmi.jpg

But yea the cells look a bit on the shabby side besides they are Sanyo UR18650A 2100mAh not a bad cell but........ maybe worth the effort.

Wolf

Overmind said:
The ones I've opened have the 2 plastic parts being held together by special screws.

I have had these too in the past (PITA even then), but this one is one solid piece of plastic, so perhaps newer or older model. I'm afraid I will break the cells if I push any harder and there is a very small gap where say a hacksaw or dremel-tool would be able to cut though the plastic without damaging the cells.

You could remove all soldered connectors and wired and maybe you can pull/push the cell rows out.
If not, just cut it open with care so you don't damage the cells.

@Wolf, yes they are Sanyos. Good picture find of the tools.

Any cell is worth saving, just like any Klingon can fight a little more until death sets him free ! :D

I took apart several similar packs using a box cutter knife. Just kept slicing at the same line until I was through, then split the whole thing apart with brute force.
On some, they also like to epoxy the cells into place. Just slice the sleeve and push out the cell, then resleeve.

Indeed every cell is worth fighting for.
Why you don't get a wooden dowel that is a tad smaller then the cell?
Small taps on the neg side, take a 2 pound hammer for the mass, it works better than a 1 ounce hammer with a lot of heavy taps.
just my two cents, hope this will help a bit

100kwh-hunter said:
Why you don't get a wooden dowel that is a tad smaller then the cell?
Small taps on the neg side, take a 2 pound hammer for the mass, it works better than a 1 ounce hammer with a lot of heavy taps.
just my two cents, hope this will help a bit

Tried something similar, but a bit too narrow and I didn't want to dent the cells too much. It's pushed to the back of my backlog at the moment. Laptop packs are more worth the effort as long as they are available to me.

ajw22 said:
I took apart several similar packs using a box cutter knife. Just kept slicing at the same line until I was through, then split the whole thing apart with brute force.
On some, they also like to epoxy the cells into place. Just slice the sleeve and push out the cell, then resleeve.
Good grief! I'll keep that in mind but I do value my time...

Back