NEW - MPP Hybrid Inverter: LV 5KVA-48V

Solardad

FYI-

Received word from Peggy at MPP that they are now taking pre-orders for a new split phase 5000W48v inverter.

Yes, in 20 days.

Price is at USD 990, plus USD 180 DHL
To make pre- order, please us know. thanks

Attached is the manual for the inverter.

Attachments

• HYBRID LV-5KW-48V manual-20190226.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 647
Solardad said:
FYI-

Received word from Peggy at MPP that they are now taking pre-orders for a new split phase 5000W48v inverter.
I like it!! I like it alot!!
Did I say I like it?

Wolf

Yes. Very interested myself. Would be perfect addition to my SUN-1000 inverters
Wondering if this is a spin-off from the Voltronic line of inverters or someone else.?.?
Unable to find a similar line with that model name/etc..

Solardad said:
..........Would be perfect addition to my SUN-1000 inverters ..........

So this unit would be like a grid tie with limiting so you don't inject power back to the grid?
I don't find that anywhere in the PDF.
With a 40A breaker to the unit I dont assume that the AC input comes from the grid and it becomes the regulator of what you pull from the grid and its output goes to the distribution panel.
In other words it is the middle man between the grid and you.
Or is it more like a GTIL with the "Hybrid" function of being a UPS. Grid power(on) supplements the house up to its max rating and if you need more than it can supply it allows the grid to supplement and alsodoes not return excess power to grid. Grid is down or (off) GTIL anti islanding turns off the GTIL and it becomes a true inverter running off of battery/solar and when grid turns back on switches back to GTIL status. It would have to internally switch the mains off during a power outage to keep from back feeding.
Just wondering.
Wolf

mike said:
... I still won't believe it until I see someone with product in hand....

Dito we will see.

But if that is the case and it does all the goodies
It will replace just about everything I got now. MPPTs,Inverter and my Grid tie inverter limited.
Should I put all those eggs into one basket?

Wolf

Wolf said:
mike said:
... I still won't believe it until I see someone with product in hand....

Dito we will see.

But if that is the case and it does all the goodies
It will replace just about everything I got now. MPPTs,Inverter and my Grid tie inverter limited.
Should I put all those eggs into one basket?

Wolf

I would probably still keep the MPPTs separate for heat reasons and my own personal "like to separate out functions" opinion. It would also be good to see some testing done because I know Peter said his PIP inverters get very hot at half load and you pretty much can't run 100% load. That has me wondering, even with 2 units totaling 10kW, how much of it is realistically usable?

mike said:
I would probably still keep the MPPTs separate for heat reasons and my own personal "like to separate out functions" opinion. It would also be good to see some testing done because I know Peter said his PIP inverters get very hot at half load and you pretty much can't run 100% load. That has me wondering, even with 2 units totaling 10kW, how much of it is realistically usable?

Another Dito!!

I am of the same persuasion If one module fails on this unit then you are down and out.
Not so with separate units all with their specialized function. In case of my MPPTs I have a couple of spares just in case.
For my Emergency Inverter I have all the replacementboards and mosfets in stock and soon I will have 2 GTIL 1000s. Themax load my house uses at any given moment in time is probably 4kW. Mostly it idles around 200W to 400W.I will have a better handle on that figure after the ground thaws and I can get my IoTaWatt hooked up completely.

Wolf

Sounds promising but was hoping the idle watts would be more efficient.

I would would be concerned about the auto selection of frequency. Should be programmable. Do others auto-detect?
Also the Low loss and high loss frequency's seem to be out of spec.
If your not spot on frequency it won't get CSA Grid-tie approval in Canada. Will it?

Also, it's doesn't appear to be designed with lithium in mind. Will the maintenance float charge at a reduced voltage be problem in step 3?

Also safety certification is listed as "CE" which means nothing (especially since it is self declared by the manufacturer). Not valid in USA or Canada.

Wolf said:
Solardad said:
..........Would be perfect addition to my SUN-1000 inverters ..........

So this unit would be like a grid tie with limiting so you don't inject power back to the grid?
I don't find that anywhere in the PDF.
With a 40A breaker to the unit I dont assume that the AC input comes from the grid and it becomes the regulator of what you pull from the grid and its output goes to the distribution panel.
In other words it is the middle man between the grid and you.
Or is it more like a GTIL with the "Hybrid" function of being a UPS. Grid power(on) supplements the house up to its max rating and if you need more than it can supply it allows the grid to supplement and alsodoes not return excess power to grid. Grid is down or (off) GTIL anti islanding turns off the GTIL and it becomes a true inverter running off of battery/solar and when grid turns back on switches back to GTIL status. It would have to internally switch the mains off during a power outage to keep from back feeding.
Just wondering.
Wolf

I think so but if I understand it correctly a proper setup / install would require I believe a dedicated panel of circuits that this inverter would power. Based on the menu options it would depend on how you setup the unit - Utility 1st then Solar/Bat or Solar/Bat then Utility.So it would have the option toprovide power when there is an outage vs the SUN-1000 but on the other hand there is the limit ofnot being able to assist other loads that were not apart of that dedicated panel.

So unlike the SUN-1000 that monitors your whole panel leg(s) you are limited based on what you identified in the initial setup.

For my situation we rarely lose grid power so I have no need to be able to leverage solar when there is an outage since it basically never happens. Instead I am looking to supplement based on three main interests: 1 - Try and be more green, 2 - Hobby, 3 - reduce utility bill.

Today I have two SUN-1000s monitoring each leg (in US) but I could leverage more inverter power to cover the peak times. I could add two more SUN-1000 inverters and probably cover 70-80% of my demands for $600ish.

With that being said and after having a chance to read the manual I think my situation would be better served by going down that route vs wiring up a dedicated panel and moving circuits around.

Not a fan of having 4 inverters and would love to have another option of a larger inverter 3-5k with SUN-1000 functionalityout there as a choice. I know Victron and their MultiPlus II unit leverages a CT clamp (Power Assist mode)also like the SUN-1000 but I believe it is only 230v single phase.

But still power consumption with no load, as tery say, < 100W, which is > 2kWh per day...

Still a lot :-(

Correct me if I'm wrong (still planning out what all is needed for my system), but aren't most hybrid inverters designed to be coupled with a grid-tie (AC) or MPPT/Charger (DC) and this one is special because it includes the MPPT (like an Outback Skybox). So this could be a 1 stop shop, to have solar, battery, and grid-tie for a backup and all you need is some panels and battery and you're good to go? If so, why so cheap (Skybox is ~$6k)? It seems like MPP is decent, just maybe not top tier?

@solar dad....
youre number 3 is my number one, my number two is to be more green

:D :cool: :p :D

FYI - Peggy reached out and stated they are shipping now and has been priced lower:

Sorry for the delay and glad to inform you that we have our Hybrid LV 5048 inverter ready now.

Its a 5000w inverter designed under 48vdc 110v/220vac Split phase , with built in DUAL MPPT solar charger and A 60A battery charger.

This inverter can be connected up to 3 pc in parallel. can work under single phase 110v , or 220vac or even 3 phase 208 220v .

Please find the manual as attach . price for sample is at USD 935/pc

Or discount for order above 3 pc

If you like to order , please let us know. thanks

No Load Power Consumption <100W

They must be kidding, not??

Regrettably, they are not. I was about buying a 24 volts 3 KW model. This has a no load power of 75 Watts.

When I asked Peggy to verify, I was told to take my business elsewhere. I did, I bought a Chang 6000J, this unit has a no load current of .7 A at 26 Volts or 18.2 W

I Hope You have LOTS of solar power. This inverter is going to gobble up in excess of 2 KWh/day.

Good Luck. )

ChrisD

EDIT: Just spotted that each charger unit is using 23 W in stand-by mode, so now it makes sense, 50 watts for the inverter and 2 x 23 watts for the chargers add up to approx. 100 W.
Still a lot though...

I believe auto consumption is50 watt for a5 kw unit and 100 watts for two, and note the AIMs 10kw inverter uses 200 watts/hr for a total of 4.8 kw in a day. Now thats high. but it sure has spunk!!

MPP producs is about 80w per phase in idle consumption on the hybrid variants.

You cannot compare a stand-alone inverter with a unit that handles UPS/solar/inverter and even less a unit that does grid-tie in conjunction with off-grid capability.

With that said you can of course get a unit that have half the consumption but for 3x initial price.

Example my 10kW 3phase unit has idle draw of 240w. Thats 100% loss at no load. At 250w load its 60% loss and when i pull 10kw the 240w idle load is nothing compare to the 20% it takes extra to produce 10kw (2kw losses in conversion and 240w idle)

Its alot and you need to consider that on all factors where you need active power. If you go passive where you can turn everything off you can save alot and have an idle load as low as 5w.

My LV is only 43W but is a single phase 2424-hs

Back