Mystery large format pouch cells

Lucan

I've come upon some interesting cells locally, and I'm trying to find more information about them.

Some information I've gathered thus far:
  • Manufactured by LG Chem. Tagged as "Ebike" cells so maybe they are NMC chemistry.
  • I'm guessing they are about 5+ years old, but are still in their factory packaging. Cell voltages are 3.7V to 3.8V which seems right for storage.
  • The first few discharges have been around 8.5Ah. I was expecting capacity to be higher based on size/weight, like 10+. Will they get better with more cycles?
  • 240g, 7x93x185 mm (about 30% larger than a dollar)tabs are 20x15x0.25mm
  • Positive tab is aluminum so spot welding or special solder/flux is required.
  • internal resistance when charged is about 15mOhms.
  • Based on my limited testings, the Energy Density is 130W-hr/kg. That would put these at the lower end of the spectrum for their chemistry.
The good news is these are cheap, less than $40/kW-hr. I picked up a case of 30 cells to experiment with and they have over 100 more cases. I'm trying to figure out if they're worth messing with.

Any input would be helpful.

image_ugsiop.jpg

If they capacity test OK, and don't self discharge. Definitely. You will need to spot weld the aluminum. Solder is just too difficult, and flux will be too corrosive, especially for large numbers.

You will have to custom design some kind of mount. But I can't otherwise consider not using them for a large project. Given that they have all been stored the same way, they should have degraded in a similar fashion (and therefore have similar capacities), and be easy to capacity match

Any luck on what these are. Are they 3.2v or 3.7v batteries. What did they fully charge to. Look like a good deal either way.
Thanks

Definitely 3.7v nominal cells.
Still no luck tracking down manufacturer's data. I've cycled 3 different cells several times now and capacity is consistently at 8.5Ah (well, +/- 100mAh.)

It looks like they are on craigslist now, at $1 per cell. Assuming a capacity of 8.5Ah, that would be just $32/kWh. I don't know if the seller will ship as I'm not the seller.
https://denver.craigslist.org/pts/d/arvada-electric-vehicle-lithium-ion/6815328325.html

I bought a some of these a few days ago and have been doing research on them also. From what I can find or assume they where Imported in early 2010. Every cell I tested is at 3.7 volts un charged and stored for years and the charger stops at 4.10 volts. These are the same style the Chevy volt used in 2010-2011 time but thinking its a smaller capacity. Im going for the long shot and trying to get ahold of the importer. This is the link that the batteries may have came from. Thanks.

https://panjiva.com/Compact-Power-Inc/2678451

Yes, they seem to very similar to the Chevy Volt cells of that time from.

Please be sure to post any of your testing results.

I have seen loads of Chevrolet Volt cells in my hands. Also, others from those manufacturers. This does not look like an LG cell to me. Maybe a very very old one... Lg have bar codes... I do see the LGC on it. and other info, like the cell serial... and the pos and neg are switched. I am looking for some sub-10Ah cells... it would be nice to know what these are.

They look a little puffed, like a slight loss of cap. Around the tabs... I would bet they were originally 10Ah.

image_pfollk.jpg
Picture of the box they came in

The cells.

image_rthvwg.jpg

image_qleyez.jpg

1 amp discharge test with 4 cells gave me a 9144mah per cell. They dont get hot at all no matter how hard I discharge them. The less amps the better they test on mah. I have enough to make one hell of a solar battery. I was going to hole punch them all and bolt them together maybe 4p or two stacks of 4p and 7s. Then use crimp ring connectors and wire them together. Im trying to size the wire now.

I have maybe one in 30-45 cells that are lose or bloated and they test low on volts around 2.5

Close up

image_lwsqtm.jpg

image_zlmsxg.jpg

They are coming along. 7s5p. 1100 watt hour each minimum. I do a discharge test on the pack soon I hope.

Those packs look great, what size case is that? Looks like a Pelican 1150. I used the smallest size Harbor freight Apache (Pelican knock-off) for my 7s8p 18650 packs (660 w-hr). I'll post some pic's later. I'm curious if these pouch cells offer higher power density compared to 18650's.

I still have that case of 30 of these that I'm not going to use. Let me know if you want them, or I can offer the up to anyone else who wants them.

Its the harbor Freight Apache 2800 on sale for 19.99. I still need to finish my 3D printer so I can make some custom cases. The bms are from China and they have a app via Bluetooth for them, pretty cool. I have a bunch of 18650 for another project but I could not pass the pouch cells up from a cost stand point. Each cell for .66 cents. I bought 60 boxes of them and and wish I bought them all. Making solar batteries and a trolling battery for my kayak. What side of town you on. Thanks

60 boxes, wow! That's a lot of storage.

I live near I-25 and Hampden in Denver.

Below is my case w/ batteries. I used the Apache 1800 case, so a bit smaller, ($10 on sale). ThenI used my 3d printer to make the, BMS holder, voltmeter bezel and the Anderson connector holder. I will post more details in the other section of the forum as to not clutter this thread too much :)

image_qyytyc.jpg

image_fpxaye.jpg

image_pyssog.jpg

Thats nice! What pin spotter are you using. I have a old microwave transformer I need to make into one. Link that other form when you do it. Thanks

Hello sorry this isn't related to your post but didn't know how else to message you. I was curious if you had an abundance of 18650 or pouch lipos built up again? I would gladly pay for shipping and whatever you felt was fair for the cells thank you for your time you can reply here or find me @ pcparlor@gmail

Back