Project Power it All

Owen96

Hey everyone, new to the forum here and I'm looking forward to talking to everyone here. I figured I'd start a thread on my project I've just begun the long process of harvesting and testing cells and have put together an initialdesign for my packs. They will packs of 100 cells all a minimum of 2000mAh. I plan to start with a 48v setup and eventually possibly a 240v setup since I have an old industrial UPS system that is setup for a 240v battery and is rated for 10kW continuous. Here's a few screen captures of the current pack design, hopefully I can do a test cut of the Acrylic tomorrow and do any necessary tweaking.
I currently have mounting previsions for Longmons as well as holes for zip ties to help hold down the bus bars particularly at the ends of the pack.

image_cyxqek.jpg

image_xdylqj.jpg

image_vzewhm.jpg

image_cdlpzh.jpg

Figured I'd post a little update got a chance to laser cut the cell holders today it takes about 2 1/2 hours to cut one packs worth. Did a little test fit with some cells. So far they seem like they are going to work well I did add a last minute feature some mounting holes for cover plates to protect the tops and bottoms of the packs from shorting.

image_ocqmdy.jpg

image_dqlbqp.jpg

image_iufqov.jpg

image_ackqbs.jpg

image_vscade.jpg

I like the acrylic... I have also have a laser and that would be a killer use of the darn thing!

Nice work!

Nice to have such an UPS to work with and enough good quality cells.

You could make packs of 48V and then series them if needed for the UPS.

How do you intent to make the actual connections to the cells (the soldering) ?

Overmind I plan to solder to the cells directly, carefully of course.
Overmind said:
How do you intent to make the actual connections to the cells (the soldering) ?

My fuses finally arrived going to do a little testing with them later today but I ended up going with 3A axial glass fuses from Aliexpress.

image_dkyiwm.jpg

Crimp Daddy good testing! That's exactly what I was looking to be in the range of I had a chance to test a couple before I headed home from work and was getting right around the same results.

Finally got around to working on the battery again. Finished designing the outer cover plates and battery posts and laser cut everything out. Hopefully I can get the positive side done over the weekend and the first battery will be done. I'm still working out the kinks in the assembly process and there is a few minor design changes I plan to implement going forward on the next packs for example some mounting holes to hold the whole pack down. Here's a few pictures of the battery currently.

image_dhhjaw.jpg

image_wucewf.jpg

image_rgkzxi.jpg

image_xgnkvv.jpg

image_frgdtv.jpg

image_psaacn.jpg

Got a chance to finish up my first pack over the weekend, only 13 more to go. I'm really pleased with the way it turned out and I think the top post connections are going to make connecting to the packs much easier. Also played around with a little LED edge lighting on the top cover and it looks really cool the camera doesn't do it justice, I may look into doing some lighting once all the packs are set up.Now the hunt for more 18650's continues! If anyone is interested in these holders shoot me a message and I'd be happy to get you one.

image_hupalh.jpg

image_xrckij.jpg

image_qjuagh.jpg

image_kysuhz.jpg

Back