• Poll closed .

GeneralDJ

IF there was battery packholder system with replacablefuses, would you prefer:

Glass fuses

OR

Car fuses

image_ncpgry.jpg

image_kbgimm.jpg

Depends on battery voltage. The car types ones are only suitable for 12 or 24V (or less).
They would be likely to arc at 48V instead of doing a clean break.

mike said:
Neither of those fuses is appropriate for banks of lithium batteries.

Hi Mike - could you explain why a bit?

I do agree with Mike on the end voltage of a 48V nominal cell pack either fuse is not really suitable.
These fuses are generally lower Amperage anyway and I think automotive glass fuses have a limit at 30A.
Now there are some "Automotive Mains Fuses" that are in the 100A + range that have screw contacts I suppose they could be used on a 12 or possible a 24V system. Then there are the EV fuses that work with the V of the packs on the vehicle that may be used I suppose.
As for our packs there are ceramic fuses that are made for that V and A and tend to have a greater distance between the contacts.
More than likely at the end terminals of such a pack you would have a DC breaker though.
But when it comes to building a 4s4p pack I don't see a problem with putting a 30A automotive fuse in the output circuit if you want to limit your pack to that Amperage. Some of us plan and do put small glass fuses at the cell level and putting an automotive (I think the smallest they make is a 3A )on a cell level would be cost prohibitive as you need the holder and the fuse. Easy to change though. But then again if the fuse blows there is something probably wrong with the cell and it needs to be replaced.
Personally I think there are far less expensive solutions to use as a fusing system than automotive fuses and a lot more appropriate.
Unless of course you are swimming in automotive fuses or own a fuse manufacturing facility.

Edit:
IF there was battery packholder system with replacablefuses, would you prefer:

If it is a pack holder of 5 cells or so in p then sure I don't see a problem with a blade automotive fuse at the "Pack level".
But working with harvested cells I would be fusing each cell individually anyway so it would be a Redundancy Department of Redundancy Department of Redundancy.

Wolf

Redundancy = Safety

Right!? :p

Korishan said:
Redundancy = Safety

Right!? :p

True but if that was the condition of safety I wouldn't get out of bed in the morning.
I mean I would have a seatbelt to go over the other seatbelt to make sure the first seatbelt didn't break just in case.
:D

Wolf

I use cell level fusing to protect cells from getting damage from battery when cells fail. (EG when cells 'short circuit' internally).

I use bigger fuses to protect wiring from load failure. (EG battery output shorting)

Sort of redundancy ... but sort of not ... I use ~ 30A blade ('car') type for main fuse, and 5A fuse wire for cell level stuff.

Yay polls ... good one OP : )

Back