testing tp4056 v3

100kwh-hunter

Hi,
I was playing around with the tp's i have.
I noticed, that they were charging also 0,15v cells.(not 1,5v)
They take em all the way up to 4,20v
What was also interesting, they started loading with 80ma.
When the voltige was increasing the ma where also increasing.
They start also charging when the battery is at 4.12v

So they are improved very much, in relation to there older versions, according from what i have been reading so far on themaround here.

Is there still a need for manual loading those cells that has a voltage under 1,5-2,0v? :huh:

I personally don't think so.
Bugger......ordered last week3 power modules. :mad:

Awel, looking at the bright side, my charging/discharging/testing device is going to be simpler to build.

I think i have had the same thing with my TP boards when I first started with 18650s a while back - very low voltage cells were still charged.
I did not check on the rate they were charged at though.
When I get into testing the cell I have now, I will look into this further and report back.
Currently waiting on zb206s and a yr1030 to arrive for testing to start..

It's not that there are different "versions" of the 4056, there are different "variants". In other words, clones. The clones are the ones that don't function as they should.

The real TP4056 IC has a 1% accuracy, 4.158V - 4.242V. Also the starting trickle charge amp is 1/10th of the RPROG value.

My Taiwanese is quite a bit rusty, so I'm not exactly sure of all the wording, but here's the actual datasheet of the TP4056 modules by Nanjing:
Nanjing Extension Microelectronics TP4056 Datasheet

image_zzhzph.jpg

Thanks for that Korishan! I, too, experienced what 100kwh-hunter experienced and never understood why people were having so much trouble with their TP4056's. I was even able to charge reverse voltage cells without a problem. But, I guess it turns out that I just had genuine chips. I got mine from Gearbest like 3 years ago, so I knew it couldn't be anything new.

Yeah, the genuine IC's can handle a lot more abuse and are more resilient and powerful. I didn't know about the reverse voltage cells, that's neat you were able to do that.

The genuine TP IC's will have a TP logo in the top left of the chip for the SOP versions. The MSOP they do not, but these are smaller chips and not as common.
SOP: Center pin to Center is 1.2mm
MSOP: Center pin to Center is 0.65mm

image_ribecf.jpg

Yeah, I didn't do that on purpose, I put some 0.1V cells in backwards and they got up to like -0.7V when I noticed. I quickly took them out, checked voltage, and put them back in right side up, and they charged up normal from -0.70V to 4.20V.

hahah, wow! Keep an eye on them, tho. Cycle test them several times before you use them in production. You don't want any flaming surprises.

Some rectification is needed, i made a mistake. sorry for this goof up
I have the TC4056a v3 clone.

But to add something positive:
I find out that aldo thispsu is not strong enough, likemine small one 6v 7a
(again you really need and want a good solid stable psu that gives a "smooth flow?")
And you connect10 of those tc'swith cells on them, the some how communicate!?

They will charge the first in line, the first six, when the first cell hits3,2v that tc isslowing down the charge to a 10ma.
And number seven is loading, when an other cell hits 3,2v it will alsoslow down to 10ma.
and now number eight is loading, ect ect ect.
So actually they act like what i call "a night charger"
When they are all charging from 3.3v the ma is divided between all the tc's, equil.
They come at the same time ready, give or take 5 minutes.
Due to this low charging you can not detect any would be heaters.

Testing was done with cells rated at 2950ma and tested at 2820-2900 started at 2,8v
2mm wire was used to feed them.
I have also noticed that they stop charging at 4,20 exactly!
Here is why(my best guess) when they stop with charging they will wait a minute, and then continue to complete.
If you take a cell out to early it is not a complete charge, then you will get different readings
Certainly do not replace with a new cell, they will be off and they will be waiting for that one cell to come up in line with the others.
Accuracy is also gone.
One week testing and playing with them to findout that they are very good in there performance, and well with in the limits.

Tomorrow i will hook up the big boy (6v 30 amp or was it 50?) and connect all 30 of them, and redo the tests

However the zb's are a way different story

my 2 cents, youre welcome if it was helpful.

@ dallski, you wrote:
Thanks for that Korishan! I, too, experienced what 100kwh-hunter experienced and never understood why people were having so much trouble with their TP4056's. I was even able to charge reverse voltage cells without a problem. But, I guess it turns out that I just had genuine chips.

Could be the genuine chip, or the psu, i tried several of psu's, you really need a good one, but i really dont know if this also applies for the genuine chips.

Maybe i will look for them and order some

Great work! I was thinking of printing a ducted fan enclosure for these boards. Do you think this is necessary since it's only charging? Ie. Is open to the atmosphere adequate?

Or use something more efficient :):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/TP5...hium-plate-18650-TP5100-4-2V/32872056971.html

As of 2019-05-04, I've stopped using the TP4056 altogether, and went for the TP5100.
I could now free up the buck converter used for other purposes, is slightly more accurate, requires way less wiring, and at lower than 1,5A current, doesn't require a heatsink to work at full performance.

Also, the nice thing about it is that I can use it for partial low voltage revival. With 100mA of pre-charge current, it's good for 2,0V+ cells.

Back