Anyone tried this balancer?

Its a balancer. Still need a Bms :)

Basically you have many functions. The most important is the protection then comes reporting and lastly balancing IF you ask me. Why? Because protection is obvious of course but reporting may not seem like that but simple display that tells you that you have issues is Good start. lastly balancing is function so it can manager smaller deviations itself.

daromer said:
Its a balancer. Still need a Bms :)

Basically you have many functions. The most important is the protection then comes reporting and lastly balancing IF you ask me. Why? Because protection is obvious of course but reporting may not seem like that but simple display that tells you that you have issues is Good start. lastly balancing is function so it can manager smaller deviations itself.

Looking at the Batrium basic kitsthough, for 1000 AU dollars you get the basic board and the shunt. I thought all it did was offer balancing and current/voltagedisplay and doesn't give any actual protection?Is that correct or can it do more and I ammisunderstanding.

I do know you can get an extension board added on tocontrol external devices.

what do you need, what do you have in mind ?

Cherry67 said:
what do you need, what do you have in mind ?

At the moment I need another good 700 cells :p

I was asking about this balancer as it looks like most installs using Bartrium are just using it for balancing and monitoring current without any means of actual protection. So I was curious if there was something I am missing about the Batrium setup compared to this much cheaper balancer.

All I have is a cheap 4 dollar 4s 30ampbms on my 220ah lifepo4. I do have a 4s active balancers that handles the balancing. Thats all you need. If I had more series like a 12s, I would definitely consider getting the balancer your looking at. The price isn't bad.

You do need something that can balance whether passive or active. No matter how well you think your pack is balanced, they always drift out of balance when fast charging. You can't rely on the bms built-in 60ma balancers, they are useless for balancing, they only start tobalance when the cell voltage gets to 4.18 volts.

Batrium is probably overkill for most users, .

I thought i answered but most have forgotten to send it.

Batrium do so much more than you can imagine or atleast can do... Because it is of course up to the user to set it up properly. Without doing that you only get a fancy unit sitting there doing nothing. It wont even balance efficiently...

I would define that this is the order needed
1. Protection
2. Monitoring or allerting
3. Balancing

And its pretty simple. Do you want safety at all? A balancer can never ensure you are in balance and never get issues. Monitoring/allerting can but you need to be around then.. Protection is what you look for.

In Batrium you can run it in such a way that batrium can fully controll your charger or inverter to limit the charge and even disable things if soc falls low. This is rather complex and its just a function in the middle. The protection you set up with the outputs on the batrium for instance controlling a cut off switch on your system or a trip-shunt like most of us do. A trip shunt is also an over current protection.
The batrium have mosfet and relay output that you utilize for this and they can be based on all from temperature, voltage, current or even soc to mention a few variables to protect based on.

It can then also report the values to any other system and yes they can balance.

I run 100kwh++ system and i can easy balance my system with less than 100mA... When you need to balance with high current you have a system that most likely is failing or wrongly put together. In cars for instance you dont have many mA balancing and yes thats new cells but that doesnt hinder us from doing the same in building phase.

What you need on the balancer is to be able to set the range when to balance and how. Preferable with a system that can limit the charge current when doing that. Once again BAtrium can do that the others dont...

With that said there are multiple BMS systems out there that can do the full range that every people should have on their powerwall but they also cost ALOT. Functions like this arent cheap and may not suit everyone in the overall project.

Most people do make do with the simple protection and balancing function and yes it works as long as you considered this during the build and know about it.

Yes packs drifts somewhat but they do not have to drift much if you made your homework. A pack that drift have uneven packs and that is a fact ;) I have uneven packs to but during my last 3+ years now I still run them with a very very low balance current.

Back