cell organization by voltage sag?

Jeremy Choy

in order to speed up my process (only one imax b6)for determining which are premium cells, I've done the following:

charged them all with imax b6. then discharged at 1.0 amp for 1 minute noting the voltage sag.

I have them organized groupings of:
3.9x
3.8x
3.7x
3.6x

I will still test capacities. however I'm wondering if you mixlets say a 2000mah cell with a 3.9x voltage sag test and a 2000mah cell with a 3.6x mah cell (I've noticed some cells deliver most of their amperage at the bottom of the discharge vs. a good cell which is fairly even. So what happens?

1) any recommendations on how to sort these into packs in order to keep these balanced.

This is how I see it.

On smaller packs where you will be using 1A discharge this could cause issues... But on packs where you perhaps will reach 200mA at most or even only 50mA then this is not considered to be a big issue.

The problem that can arise is that if you calculate 1A at max and you have mixed cells you could get an uneven useage and the ones with lowest iR may reach 1.5A instead...

Have you tested the ir on above cells? Would be nice to see what the difference in a table would be on above 3.9-3.6V compare to IR.

daromer said:
This is how I see it.

On smaller packs where you will be using 1A discharge this could cause issues... But on packs where you perhaps will reach 200mA at most or even only 50mA then this is not considered to be a big issue.

The problem that can arise is that if you calculate 1A at max and you have mixed cells you could get an uneven useage and the ones with lowest iR may reach 1.5A instead...

Have you tested the ir on above cells? Would be nice to see what the difference in a table would be on above 3.9-3.6V compare to IR.

shouldn't take too long to test IR. small project for tonight.

JeremyChoy said:
daromer said:
This is how I see it.

Voltage sag by colour, organized by IR
3.9x = Dark Green
3.8x = Light Green
3.7x = Yellow
3.6x = orangish.

Attachments

• IR-vs-VD-18650.xlsx
    10.9 KB · Views: 275
JeremyChoy said:
JeremyChoy said:
daromer said:
This is how I see it.

Voltage sag by colour, organized by IR
3.9x = Dark Green
3.8x = Light Green
3.7x = Yellow
3.6x = orangish.
Jeremy,

What I am doing is grouping cells by manufacturer, model number and measured capacity.
If you do this, then your measurements make sense. If you have a 7s pack,you should look for groups of seven with the same battery capacity, manufacturer, and model& internal resistance. When you build your parallel packs, you put one of these cells in each of the parallel packs. If you do this consistently, then each pack should charge and discharge evenly.

I have downloaded the data sheet for a lot of my cells and track the data sheet capacity versus measured capacity. That way, I get an idea of how damaged cell is.

High Drain Batteries

Im maybe a little overboard on this, butI am segregating my high drain batteries to use in high drain packs. I have some projects whereI plan to use the batteries for some high drain intermittent applications.
A high drain battery may only be rated for 1300 mAH , but it can deliver 20A continuous current.
So If I get one of these, the internal resistance is quite low, but in a low current application like .25 amps, it will still only give 1300 mAH.

Measuring Open circuit voltage.

The open circuit voltage may not be a validdatapoint for determining the internal resistance. I was thinking about this myself and found a good article at battery university about how to measure internal resistance. For real world measurement, use the"two tierdc load test".

Here's the battery university link:

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_measure_internal_resistance

You should apply a small load for a few seconds. 0.10 amps and measure the voltage.

Then measure the load at 1 amp. measured soon after the first measurement.

So in the following example you have an 18650 charged to 4.17 volts.

Drain it at 0.10 amps for a few seconds and read 4.10 Volts.

Then drain it at 1.00 amps for a few seconds and read 3.90 Volts.

In this case the internal resistance is delta V / Delta I or (4.10-3.90) / (1.0- 0.1) = .20V / .9 A = .222 Ohms = 222 mOhms.

IMAX B6 Cable resistance

The other thing to consider when you are trying to read small resistances is the resistance of the test leads and connections.

Take 10 batteries of "known" resistanceand do the same test. Then hook them all in parallel and hook up your test leads.

In theory you should see one tenthof the voltage drop with the one amp test. Whatever the difference between calculatedaverage voltage drop at .1 amps and actual voltage drop at 1 amp is due to the IMAX B6 charger cables.

Egam: If you going to take it to that extent you missed several factors:
How many times it have been discharged
To what extent
How long they have been in each state

And even more importantly. DO NOT use an iMax for testing or opus but proper stuff.

So i would say doing quick test + mixing it will get you far in our applications and that saved time in testing will be made up by that you can add some more cells. I have pakcs 2 years later running fine :)

Jeremy: Did not have have Excel reader on this computer so il check later.

daromer said:
To what extent

And even more importantly. DO NOT use an iMax for testing or opus but proper stuff.

So i would say doing quick test + mixing it will get you far in our applications and that saved time in testing will be made up by that you can add some more cells. I have pakcs 2 years later running fine :)

Daromer: I would think that comparing measured capacity to data sheet capacity would tell you what condition the battery is in.

If you had a cell that measured 1300 mAH but originally had 3000 mAH, then I would say it is near end of life. However it got there, I can't know. It could have been stored at high temps at a high state of charge,or it could have been cycled a lot.

If you had a cell that measured 1300 mAH and itoriginally had 1300 mAH, then I would say it is OK....Maybe it is a High Drain battery from a battery powered drill. You may not want it in the pack with 2200 mAH batteries, but it can be useful just the same.

So I would go through the same type of checks you have talkedabout, but I would look for cells that are closer to their original capacity and then match them up so each pack has an equal number of similar cells.

What testequipment are you talking about that is good but yet affordable?

daromer said:
To what extent

Daromer: I would think that comparing measured capacity to data sheet capacity would tell you what condition the battery is in.

If you had a cell that measured 1300 mAH but originally had 3000 mAH, then I would say it is near end of life. However it got there, I can't know. It could have been stored at high temps at a high state of charge,or it could have been cycled a lot.

If you had a cell that measured 1300 mAH and itoriginally had 1300 mAH, then I would say it is OK....Maybe it is a High Drain battery from a battery powered drill. You may not want it in the pack with 2200 mAH batteries, but it can be useful just the same.

So I would go through the same type of checks you have talkedabout, but I would look for cells that are closer to their original capacity and then match them up so each pack has an equal number of similar cells.

What testequipment are you talking about that is good but yet affordable?

Back