18650 cell voltage 6.4V

dwarflundgren

Hi

I am ripping my first batch of laptop batteries and have come across a few anomalies.

A fully working laptop battery Dell FV993 11.1V 97WH with 9x 18650 model Samsung ICR18650-30B and all cells are testing at 6.04-6.45V each.

I thought that my Voltmeter may be faulty so I tested a rechargeable 1.5V AAA battery and that returned 1.7V. Also opened another laptop battery and tested the cells - all around 3.4V

The third battery pack with 3 cells Samsung ICR18650-30B also 1st cell 1.82V and the remaining two 5.46V and 5.48V

Is Voltage above 4.2 possible for 18650 and what should I do about the 5V+ ones?

Thanks

dwarflundgren said:
emuland-metroman said:
overcharged

Is that terminal or can the cells be recovered?

Are you measuring across the terminals of a single 18650, after it's been dismantled from the pack?

Certainly overcharged, you'll know what affect that's had on its capacity after you've fully tested it.

I have almost never seen cells being at above 4.5V... I would like to see an image of you checking the terminal and also how you crosscheck the voltmeter against another proper source.

A voltmeter with faulty battery generally give very very weird results!

Cells at 6V.. Doubt that but il take it back if its true :)

daromer said:
I have almost never seen cells being at above 4.5V... I would like to see an image of you checking the terminal and also how you crosscheck the voltmeter against another proper source.

A voltmeter with faulty battery generally give very very weird results!

Cells at 6V.. Doubt that but il take it back if its true :)

That was a great call - thank you!
I changed the battery of the voltmeter and the 6.5V cells now read 4.15. :D

This is why I own more than 1 volt meter lol... if everyone agrees with each other, you know you're in business.

Faulty battery is Common :)

Yeah i have more than 1 voltmeter to because of this :)

"1.5V AAA battery and that returned 1.7V" - that's not fine at all. 1.5V brand new come charged only up to 1.6V, so it shows more. Clearly voltmeter problem.

-LE-
I saw the battery change reply after answering.

Overmind said:
"1.5V AAA battery and that returned 1.7V" - that's not fine at all. 1.5V brand new come charged only up to 1.6V, so it shows more. Clearly voltmeter problem.

Or you just found a source for the best damn AAA batteries ever made.

CrimpDaddy said:
Overmind said:

energizer lithiums can start over 1.8
the newer duracell start at 1.7.
those are a Nickel oxyhydroxide

CrimpDaddy said:
Overmind said:

You can have AAAs with up to 1.8V and 1.6V nominal. They are based on good 100-year old NiZn technology. Same goes for AAs.

I am aware gentlemen was just a joke, but I do appreciate the insight. One could also reference the label to make sure we dont have a special cell

Again, this is why #multiple meters.

And be sure that you have it on DC...a friend of mine was camping and measured his trailer battery, it supposed to be 12v ish...
He was measuring 26.4v....after some conversation and a photo sended i saw his meter was on AC.....
But its a very wise idea to get a very good meter, at least one, you need to check the ir also, i would advise the yr1030.
From time to time check the battery in your meter(s)
I can not and will not do, without a yr1030 anymore.

Btw my old (1970) analog meter from the ussr! was still pretty accurate.

Back