Unknown cell

andreiluis

Hi, I got some cells from a Dell Laptop, and I didn't find nothing about them. Every cell has the follow code: MADM4CA and other different sequence I think is a serial number.

Does anybody know the manufacturer of these, and the model?

Thanks in advance.

image_nijrxd.jpg

image_qphozy.jpg

image_lcsnxz.jpg

looks like sanyo ur18650a or ur18650fm
Look for some embedded numbers on the wrap itself, its not printed on it.
Its very hard to see, use some good light on it

Best

Sorry, my mistake, I forgot to mention that, in fact there is some written on the wrap: M06A, but I got no result searching for it.

100kwh-hunter said:
looks like sanyo ur18650a or ur18650fm
Look for some embedded numbers on the wrap itself, its not printed on it.
Its very hard to see, use some good light on it

Best

In fact, the term M06A is embossed into the wrapper. I looked again and again, I cannot find any other caracters on this cell. But, looking the cell database, I found one important info, these cells here, has a Blue Insulator Ring, so I'm pretty convinced that they are NCR18650GA cells.

Thanks for the help.

not2bme said:
Look harder, it will not be printed in ink, but stamped or embossed into the wrapper. Also look under Sanyo in our cell database (https://secondlifestorage.com/celldatabase.php). Sanyos usually have a purple (or some colorful ring) on the positive terminal.

andreiluis said:
In fact, the term M06A is embossed into the wrapper. I looked again and again, I cannot find any other caracters on this cell. But, looking the cell database, I found one important info, these cells here, has a Blue Insulator Ring, so I'm pretty convinced that they are NCR18650GA cells.

Thanks for the help.
@andreiluis

If these cell came out of a Dell laptop then that must be some kind of battery. The NCR18650GA 3300mAh is a Sanyo High capacity high drain battery more likely to be found in a power tool not a laptop. Same with a UR18650RX 1950mAh high drain.

I would venture to guess that it is a SanyoUR18650F 2500mAh or aUR18650WX 1500mAh (although I haven't seen any of those). The insulator is more of a cyan coloron those ratherthan a sky bluethey are not easy to tell apart. I have pulled many of them out of laptops esp Dell.

Also if you have a proper IR checker(4 wire kelvin 1kHz AC m? tester) you can tell right awayas the IR of high drain 18650s is usually in the <25m? range. The standard battery (UR18650F) which I am assuming you have will have an IR in the >45m? range.
I could be wrong but if it came out of Dell laptop battery .......................

Wolf

Thanks for your answer Wolf. After your message I took a look at the cell database and the batteries I have here. You're probally right. I was comparing the insulator ring ofUR18650F and UR18650WX, and the insulator ring blue of UR18650F appears to me to be a little "soft" than the blue of UR18650WX, is that it? Comparing these photos, and my cell, I guess I have UR18650F cells.

Unfortunately, I don't have a IR tester, all I have is a digital multimeter. In my office I have the plastic of the Dell battery I dissasembled to get these cells, by the battery specifications, can't I get a clue what is the capacity of these cells?

Wolf said:
andreiluis said:

Thanks for the help.
@andreiluis

If these cell came out of a Dell laptop then that must be some kind of battery. The NCR18650GA 3300mAh is a Sanyo High capacity high drain battery more likely to be found in a power tool not a laptop. Same with a UR18650RX 1950mAh high drain.

I would venture to guess that it is a SanyoUR18650F 2500mAh or aUR18650WX 1500mAh (although I haven't seen any of those). The insulator is more of a cyan coloron those ratherthan a sky bluethey are not easy to tell apart. I have pulled many of them out of laptops esp Dell.

Also if you have a proper IR checker(4 wire kelvin 1kHz AC m? tester) you can tell right awayas the IR of high drain 18650s is usually in the <25m? range. The standard battery (UR18650F) which I am assuming you have will have an IR in the >45m? range.
I could be wrong but if it came out of Dell laptop battery .......................

Wolf

andreiluis said:
Thanks for your answer Wolf. After your message I took a look at the cell database and the batteries I have here. You're probally right. I was comparing the insulator ring ofUR18650F and UR18650WX, and the insulator ring blue of UR18650F appears to me to be a little "soft" than the blue of UR18650WX, is that it? (That is correct)Comparing these photos, and my cell, I guess I have UR18650F cells.

Unfortunately, I don't have a IR tester, all I have is a digital multimeter. In my office I have the plastic of the Dell battery I dissasembled to get these cells, by the battery specifications, can't I get a clue what is the capacity of these cells?

You can get a clue as to what the batteries in a pack will produce.
As you know amperage adds up in parallel and voltage stays the same.
the UR18650F is a 2500mAh battery so 2 in parallel would be 5000mAh and 3 would be 7500mAh
In this picture you have a 3 series3 parallel pack with 6600mAh rating (66003=2200) so you would expect for this pack to have 9 2200mAh cells.

image_ngmzsi.jpg

This pack is 3s2p with 4910mAh (49102=2455) so this pack would haveeither 6 2400mAh or 6 2500mAh cells (sometimes they fudge the numbers a bit) but close enough.

image_ytngbz.jpg

You can determine the packs number of series cells by voltage 18650s are nomaly 3.8V so 3.8X3=11.4 and 3.8X4=15.2 take the Voltage with a grain of salt also but are close enough.

Wolf

The laptop battery I disassembled is written like that: 11.1V 56Wh

So, 11.1V / 3.7V = 3 (I got 6 cels from the laptop battery, so I guess it was connected 3s2p).

I converted 56Wh to mAh, and got 5045.04mAh, 5045,04 / 2 = 2522mAh each cell.

Is that think right?

Thanks in advance.

Wolf said:
andreiluis said:
Thanks for your answer Wolf. After your message I took a look at the cell database and the batteries I have here. You're probally right. I was comparing the insulator ring ofUR18650F and UR18650WX, and the insulator ring blue of UR18650F appears to me to be a little "soft" than the blue of UR18650WX, is that it? (That is correct)Comparing these photos, and my cell, I guess I have UR18650F cells.

You can get a clue as to what the batteries in a pack will produce.
As you know amperage adds up in parallel and voltage stays the same.
the UR18650F is a 2500mAh battery so 2 in parallel would be 5000mAh and 3 would be 7500mAh
In this picture you have a 3 series3 parallel pack with 6600mAh rating (66003=2200) so you would expect for this pack to have 9 2200mAh cells.

image_ngmzsi.jpg

This pack is 3s2p with 4910mAh (49102=2455) so this pack would haveeither 6 2400mAh or 6 2500mAh cells (sometimes they fudge the numbers a bit) but close enough.

image_ytngbz.jpg

You can determine the packs number of series cells by voltage 18650s are nomaly 3.8V so 3.8X3=11.4 and 3.8X4=15.2 take the Voltage with a grain of salt also but are close enough.

Wolf

Good work.

Back