Introduction

Gmtkiwi

Hi all.
This is just what I can do with out at the moment, another project.

In a past life I spent 25 + years in IT before re-training as a electrician in NZ with traffic systems, Solar PV, HVAC etc,

Project # 1 is a 3.3kw Grid tied solar array with an Arduino controlling dual hot water elements by monitoring PV output using a hall effect sensor. Outcome so far is > $50 power bills

project # 2 1000Ah 36V flooded lead acid with a MakeSkyBlue charge controller feeding a 600W Grid Tied (toy) controlled via wifi by google home when heat pump is activated in the evenings etc.

Thats why I'm here, to learn and experiment with 18650's so that one day I can run my entire house and prove the Wife wrong.

Thanks for Reading

Darrin

Gmtkiwi said:
with an Arduino controlling dual hot water elements by monitoring PV output using a hall effect sensor.

Welcome to the forum :)

Interested in the use of the hall effect device? Take it it's one of the commercial sensorproducts?
How are you interfacing it to the Arduino?
Are you using SSR's for the hot water load switching?

We love pics here!

Redpacket said:
Gmtkiwi said:
with an Arduino controlling dual hot water elements by monitoring PV output using a hall effect sensor.

Welcome to the forum :)

Interested in the use of the hall effect device? Take it it's one of the commercial sensorproducts?
How are you interfacing it to the Arduino?
Are you using SSR's for the hot water load switching?

We love pics here!

Hi Redpacket

I'll upload some pics in the weekend.
basically it works like this.
I have 2 x 1 kw elements in my hot water tank. using the hall effect I monitor my PV output on a Arduino.

1 - If PV output is => 1Kw 1 x element is switched on using a 5v relay with in turn switches a 10A SSR located away from the Arduino due to RF issues . Water is heated to 70 deg C
2 - If cloudy the 1kw element is swapped every hour to the other element
3 - If PV output is => 2Kw 2 x elements are switched on Water is heated to 70 deg C
4 - If after 21:00 hours the water temp is < 55 deg C 2 x elements are switched on and water is heated to 55 deg C, supplied from grid. Low tariff kicks in at 21:00

Object is to store the excess energy as hot water during the day and use the grid to top up if its been a poor day for PV.

Plans are to include temp sensors an ir's to turn on heat pumps (AC) if PV is exporting sufficient Watts using a 60A hall effect on the mains.
Using a hall affect because I have no means to take data from the inverter and calc usage Vs production. Unlike a CT clamp a hall effect sensor is the only away to determine AC current flow. with a CT clamp you have no idea which way the current is flowing.

When I get some time I'll post software, components and software if you like.

Back