Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Death
From the beginning, my off-grid system was integrated thru automatic transfer switches - inverter for generator power and grid for shore power. This was useful to work on the system and useful in a general shutdown such as vacation - the house continues to function as originally designed. But now I'm thinking about a 'dead-man' switch... perhaps a timer I have to reset every week to keep things on. When I die - it will revert back to grid! Batrium - we need a new option Smile
bogptrsn, 100kwh-hunter, hbpowerwall like this post
If I had to do this... I would appoint and executor in my will for that task. They could be responsible to decommissioning, or hiring someone to do it.

I am the executor in my friends will, and I could be called upon to take care of various items he trusts me to take care of which his wife or son might not be prepared to do. Its something he wanted, we discussed, and I agreed to do.
100kwh-hunter, hbpowerwall, bogptrsn And 1 others like this post
Something else that has not really been mentioned. Even in the event where you were merely incapacitated, or simply needed to be absent for a period of time, it would be handy to have someone properly educated to operate the system in your absence. Or at least what to do in an emergency.
100kwh-hunter and bogptrsn like this post
At Geek,
Clever, but the systems we make, are mostly self sustainable? right?
BUT, when you have a wall of more than ~10kwh on 50 v, it would be wise that a neighbor or family or friend knows what to look for, and how to handle.

Example: if i fall down from the scaffolding and i am 4-6 month hospitalized, i would really like to know what is going on, and instruct that person or my wife.
What if we are both in the hospital...For all i care the whole system goes into a mushroom cloud....But not my pound.

So i will be installing a timer that automatically changes to the grid permanently if i or somebody else does not reset it again after a week or so, and discharge.
With batrium i bought those 48v circuit breakers....its no trick to have a short circuit trip from a timer to the breaker.

A analog timer runs usually for 24 hours but what if you put two on top of each other and set one for one hour off (or two or more) and one hour on.
Or buy a programmable timer that will switch on a light, to trip the breaker after 8 days or 32 days or whatever you want.
The same for my sturgeons, if we are not there for a WEEK the neighbors know what to do(accept vacation), for emergency, and have a phone number for a company that can handle my pond.
The same company will have the option(with instructions) to handle or switch off my pw.
My neighbors also have a phone number of my mother and brother for my emercy account ect
My pond is not a carp or goldfish thingy(needs salt ect and i have some red list species with approval!)....the same with the pw i am building....100kwh minimum on 48v(estimed120kwh).....
They are becoming one!

Hope my jibberjat is some good for you, i really understand your concerns, that why the explanation is in the i form, didnt mean to insult you!

With best regards, Igora
Geek and bogptrsn like this post
My instruction set is :
1. if in doubt turn every switch off that you see (all battery packs have separate breakers)
2. don't touch anything metal while performing action 1
3. don't talk about fight club

The cells are LTO chemistry so can sit for years without issue, so switch off and then figure it out later, it's split grid tie + isolated so everything continues with near zero issue.

If away for any length of time, limit the power throughput / voltage levels to conservative mode so even a BMS failure may have days before it causes an issue.

Separate set of wiring diagrams and notes to be used later and not at the time of 'issue'...
bogptrsn and 100kwh-hunter like this post
If you can't quantify how much they cost, it's a deal, I'll buy 5 of them for 3 lumps of rocking horse ......
(07-11-2019, 10:42 PM)completelycharged Wrote: My instruction set is :
1. if in doubt turn every switch off that you see (all battery packs have separate breakers)
2. don't touch anything metal while performing action 1
3. don't talk about fight club

The cells are LTO chemistry so can sit for years without issue, so switch off and then figure it out later, it's split grid tie + isolated so everything continues with near zero issue.

If away for any length of time, limit the power throughput / voltage levels to conservative mode so even a BMS failure may have days before it causes an issue.

Separate set of wiring diagrams and notes to be used later and not at the time of 'issue'...

I think it wise perhaps to have a written emergency shut down procedure. (Perhaps even include photos). Make sure that the procedure can be carried out without any possible contact with hazardous voltage. And place these instructions at the entry to the building/shed/room/outhouse containing your batteries.

For continued operation, it should not be hard to prepare some simple documentation for someone to follow. And if something were to happen that they did not understand, refer to emergency shut down.
100kwh-hunter and bogptrsn like this post