solarpanel <--> PCM60X config

Hi, thanks for reading my message.

Soon I will install 12 x 280W panels for off-grid usage.
Total max. power is +3300W
What should I do to not kill/abuse the PCM60X?

Scenario 1.
4 strings with 3 panels in series, the PCM60X will cope with the extra power via MPPT.....my preferred solution.

Scenario 2
3 strings with 3 panels in series connected to PCM60x, connect 2 panels to 48/220 inverter.

Scenario 3
5 strings with 2 panels in series connected to PCM60X, connect 2 panels to 48/220 inverter. (means more amps, more heat, more losses)

VoC of panel is 38V.
Battery config is 80P 14S 18650s (as a starter)

Look forward which scenario you would use, maybe I'm overlooking another option...

Scenario 2 or in worst case 3

#1 => Give you to high voltage during early mornings and will result in over voltage error
#2 => For sure the best though the current can be tad high so the PCM60x cannot use all the energy during full prime time noon
#3 => Its the best if you want to utilize 100% the energy though im not sure what a 48/220 inverter is
#4 => to low voltage when sun is low and to high current for the system.

daromer said:
Scenario 2 or in worst case 3

#1 => Give you to high voltage during early mornings and will result in over voltage error
#2 => For sure the best though the current can be tad high so the PCM60x cannot use all the energy during full prime time noon
#3 => Its the best if you want to utilize 100% the energy though im not sure what a 48/220 inverter is
#4 => to low voltage when sun is low and to high current for the system.

Daromer,
Thanks for the prompt reply.

A few remarks though...

#1 & #2 have same voltage, both scenarios have 3 panels in series. 3x38 makes 108V. Following the manual, the PCM-60X can take upto 145V
#2: 1 string is like 105V 8A, 3 strings is 24A, that's well into the specs of the PCM60x. (voltage will even be lower when they're generating power)
#4 didn't mention scenario 4, so not sure what you mean but think it's about all panels in parallel.

The inverter that will be used: EASUN 5KVA 4000W Solar Hybrid Inverter Pure Sine Wave 220VAC Output Parallel inverter Built-in PWM 48V 50A Solar Charge Controller

Thanks again for taking the time to read this topic and write an answer.

Franky

I read it as 4s. 4s is not doable with the pcm. Its to high for it and some People here have Still tried even through we told so and they had to change back :)

Hmm were i drunk when i answered ?? :)

The simple concepts are ....

Feed MPPT chargers with as much voltage as you can, while remaining within the manufacturer's specifications.
DC coupled charging is usually at least 10% more efficient (compared to AC coupled).
MPPT chargers will constrain their output current within their published specifications (assuming it's a quality product) - so over sizing an array to allow for seasonal variation is anticipated.
Ignore all published ratings, specifications and operational functionality for cost effective chargers and inverters until you've proven them by experiment and observation.

You have 1 best setting: 3p3s

Can't you buy an extra panel so you can make 2p2s on the PIP?

Back