Diy Powerwall Safety and Awareness by AveRageJoe

Korishan

Administrator

Such a well done video!

Loved the video as well. Here's a key question for me. Let's say my pack(s) - 3 rows of 14x120p packs - fall 2feet to the floor off the shelf in an earthquake. They are standard 18650 cell holders, bussbars, fuse wire, cabled tied, and securely bolted to each other.

My location is safe from storm, tornadoes, floods etc - but could get hit by an earthquake.

Even if they fall off shelves to floor (about 3 feet is top shelf) I don't see them breaking apart much. I could cable tie them to the self itself.

Is the concern (in an earthquake) that something might fall on them, puncture them, or mangle them and start a fire? Its not clear to me that they are that delicate. Is an earthquake roof over battery box recommended?

OffGridInTheCity said:
Is the concern (in an earthquake) that something might fall on them, puncture them, or mangle them and start a fire? Its not clear to me that they are that delicate. Is an earthquake roof over battery box recommended?

Yes, all the above. Anything that could potentially cause damage to the cell by puncturing or shorting is a possible cause for concern. So if you have something that covers the packs cap ends to keep the wires from being exposed, you will eliminate a lot of possible damage to occur.
There are some thingiverse sketches that are covers for different types of packs. I believe Phizicks has designed one for use with the standard black cell holders.
Having the packs inside of an enclosure would help, too. Many have used repurposed server racks to put their pack in (AveRageJoe is one of them). But as Joe points out in the video, put something between the packs to keep them from touching each other in the event of severe shaking/rocking. If the packs are securely fastened to the shelf, they are probably ok.

Very good video, very well done.
Give's a lot to think about.
That idea with sand, very good.

Thanks for this video.

What is the Tesla Powerwall lifespan? The system has a 10-year warranty but may last longer. The use of Lithium-Ion batteries for home power storage is quite new and some suggest the battery chemistry may not even last the 10 year warranty period.

The list price for a new Tesla Powerwall 2.0 battery, which offers twice the storage capacity of the original Powerwall, is $6,700. Supporting hardware adds another $1,100 to the equipment costs, bringing the total to $7,800. Installation can add anywhere from $2,000 to $8,000 to the final bill.

A powerwall is used 247 and a car isnt
Thats the big diff

Back