Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Choice of BMS
I dont recommend to mix in any other error sources. The Shunt trip should be powered the shortest and least complex way you can. Including adaptors or others are not the way.
ABB 24v will work on 48v as well though not recommended. For those just add a 10w 10ohm resistor in series and it will work fine.
The Ultimate DIY Solar and build place
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 83kWh LiFePo4 | 10kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh | Automatic trip breakers, and alot more
(05-29-2019, 10:46 AM)daromer Wrote: I dont recommend to mix in any other error sources. The Shunt trip should be powered the shortest and least complex way you can. Including adaptors or others are not the way.
ABB 24v will work on 48v as well though not recommended. For those just add a 10w 10ohm resistor in series and it will work fine.

Thanks Dormer

Sorry but don't really understand what you mean by "recommend to mix in any other error sources"? 

Do you mean just use a 48v shunt trip running off the battery instead of one a 110-250v like this running off the house load?:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/110-to-250-V-ac...SwHuhal1eo

Also do you think the above shunt is compatible with this circuit breaker:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/ABB-AC-DC-solar...SwHuhal2D4

I'm not at all electrically minded so don't know how to add resistors etc.
Considering shunts are part of a safety system, you need to ensure the power it uses to function is as reliable as possible, the same can be said regarding the management and fault logging/reporting system.

In an energy storage system, we could expect the most reliable source of power (which is used to energize the coil) to be the battery, so pick a coil that suits your battery (or use DC to DC conversion).
(05-29-2019, 11:04 AM)paulydee Wrote: I'm not at all electrically minded so don't know how to add resistors etc.

We have been assuming you had at least a foundation of related knowledge.

You might want to curtail your DIY project until you have learned enough such that you are not a danger to yourself and/or others, or employ the services of someone qualified and competent.