Samsung 30Q - high drain 18650 Li-ion cell's capacity test

thunderheart

Samsung INR18650-30Q is a high capacity 3000mAh Li-ion cell of 18650 size which supports continuous discharge at up to 15A. It's can be called a high drain cell or even a mid-to-high drain one.
250275_original.jpg

The battery was bought from my reliable supplier (Queen Battery) and tested withZKETECH EBC-A20and a self-made battery holder. It's a PC-connected battery tester supporting 4-wire measuring and discharging at up to 20A.
87638_original.jpg

I've used version 3.0 of my battery holder based on 0.5mm thick pure copper terminals
210421_original.jpg

209931_original.jpg

I've followed all the prescriptions of theIEC61960-2003standard concerning battery's capacity measurement. Before each discharging cycle each battery was charged at standard charge current mentioned in its datasheet to charge end voltage. Before each discharging or charging i've held a 1-1.5hrs pause. The environment temperature was 23.0-24.5C. To be sure in results i've done each testminimum twice(usually 3-4 times).

Samsung INR18650-30Q

My cell has the following marking: INR18650-30Q SAMSUNG SDI 136.
249761_original.jpg

The main specs from Samsung 30Qdatasheet:
Nominal capacity:3000mAh
Nominal voltage:3.6V
Standard charge current:1.5A / 150mA cut-off
Maximum charge current:4A / 100mA cut-off
Charge end voltage:4.20V
Max. continuous discharge current:15A (5C)
Discharge cut-off voltage:2.5V
AC impedance at 1KHz:?26m?
Max weight:48g

Measured initial DC IR at 3A in fully charged condition was 16.00.7m? (measured using EB Tester Software's tool)

Measured weight of the tested cell was 45.6g
250656_original.jpg

Samsung 30Q capacity test results:
249907_original.png

At 0.2C (0.6A) 30Q's capacity appeared to be a bit higher than 3100mAh vs 3000mAh declared - a nice start but no surprise. All the way up to 15A it remains above 2900mAh and the curves look excellent. 2.5V discharge cut-off is another advantage which allows to use a wider voltage range. 30Q is a good high drain cell which is a high capacity one at the same time - that's why it's so popular.

Here is the video version of this review:

Check outmyYouTube channelfor batteries, chargers and other stuff reviews.
I've launchedmy blogwhere you can find all my reviews in one place. Every new test/review will be first published on YouTube and in the blog. I'll be happy to see new subscribers, comments, suggestions and just your thoughts.

With a little effort they could actually make it have 3000mAh @ 15A. But considering the overall good quality of the Q-cells (at least up to the 2500mAh ones) I'd say it should be fine overall.

Overmind said:
With a little effort they could actually make it have 3000mAh @ 15A. But considering the overall good quality of the Q-cells (at least up to the 2500mAh ones) I'd say it should be fine overall.

Yeah, Samsung claims the following:
With standard charge and maximum continuous discharge.

Capacity after 250cycles,
Capacity ? 1,800mAh (60% of the nominal capacity at 25?)

Notbad at 15A discharge))))

Another good review Thunderheart ..... although you still can get a continuous discharge of 13A with 5300mAh Boston Swing 5300 ....at about the same price as one of these Samsung's. If you use two of the Samsung's in the same space as a Boston Power Swing 5300 you get more continuous discharge rating and more mAh .....but you are also paying about double the cost of the Boston Power battery. At least for what I have seen quoted on the cost of the Samsung's.

Headrc said:
Another good review Thunderheart ..... although you still can get a continuous discharge of 13A with 5300mAh Boston Swing 5300 ....at about the same price as one of these Samsung's. If you use two of the Samsung's in the same space as a Boston Power Swing 5300 you get more continuous discharge rating and more mAh .....but you are also paying about double the cost of the Boston Power battery. At least for what I have seen quoted on the cost of the Samsung's.

Exactly! But you didn't mention the huge cycle life of Swing 5300. 3000 cycles at 80% DOD is something more than impressive and important I think))

Yes ....I did not want to highjack your post too much. :) Just wanted to note that although Samsung's are great and well respected ....there are alternatives that people are not aware of that may be more cost efficient. Of course I am a little biased on the Boston Power batteries ... very underrated in my opinion probably because of their form factor and the fact that they are not found in used packs very often ....which is what this forum is very focused on. But then again ...you were reviewing a new Samsung battery ... so apples to apples!

Back