ESP8266 code loading?

tccack

I have a couple of ESP8266 and RS485 boards to replicate Daniels setup reading SDM630 meters.

I have been looking about on the various Arduino pages but cant find something with explains how to load the ESP8266 so that it can poll the meters and send the data via wifi? I can connect to the ESP8266 fine but how much code has to be loaded on it and how much is running on a RPi?

Hoping someone can explain which or how many of the INO files etc need to be flashed (if any?)

Tony

Have you looked at my video about it?

What you need is arduino IDE. set it up with the base folder i got and get it to compile (Misc packages to install so it compiles)
Then config it up and then flash it. After that it boots on its own wifi network and you configure it from there.

daromer said:
Have you looked at my video about it?

What you need is arduino IDE. set it up with the base folder i got and get it to compile (Misc packages to install so it compiles)
Then config it up and then flash it. After that it boots on its own wifi network and you configure it from there.

I have watched your videos many times yes.

I have Arduino but dont understand what you mean by "set it up with the base folder" you got. I am using Arduino on Windows 10.
I have tested it and it connects to the hardware. It flashes sample scripts okay.

I'm just not knowledgeable on the compiling part of things. Is this done on the RPi or can I do it on my windows machine and flash it from that, then install. Does the RPi have to play a role as it does currently running your python script or does the nodemcu unit simply provide everything that is polled directly by node-red?

Tony

You flash it from Arduino IDE.

You need to download the code and then get that to compile in Arduino IDE.

The RPI have nothing to do with flashing the MCU. Its just that I run the MQTT on the RPI.

So download the whole "smart home" on github or just the eastron part? Do you load the zip file into Arduino?

The full smart home to get the libraries.
But you will extras to.

How did you import other stuff? You do the same with above

I previously imported a single .ino file to test the board.

I'm not seeing how this works with multiple files etc.
Never mind for now. I need to do some more study on these things.

I still have the original serial connection method running so its still giving me data, just not for more than a day or so before something glitches.

Back