SANYO UR18650ZK - low-priced 2500mAh cell's capacity test

thunderheart

Sanyo UR18650ZK is a low-priced low-drain 18650 Li-ion cell which is made by Sanyo in Nanjing, China. It's one of those cells without any datasheet available across the web.
252462_original.jpg

The battery was bought from my reliable supplier (Queen Battery) and tested withZKETECH EBC-A20and a self-made battery holder. It's a PC-connected battery tester supporting 4-wire measuring and discharging at up to 20A.
87638_original.jpg

I've used version 3.0 of my battery holder based on 0.5mm thick pure copper terminals
210421_original.jpg

209931_original.jpg

I've followed all the prescriptions of theIEC61960-2003standard concerning battery's capacity measurement. Before each discharging cycle each battery was charged at standard charge current mentioned in its datasheet to charge end voltage. Before each discharging or charging i've held a 1-1.5hrs pause. The environment temperature was 23.0-24.5C. To be sure in results i've done each testminimum twice(usually 3-4 times).

SANYO UR18650ZK

As always Sanyo didn't print the marking on the heat shrink tube but embossed it in a way that it becomes hardly readable.
251752_original.jpg

The cell is marked asSANYO Z UR18650ZK V23A.
251269_original.jpg

As far as this guy doesn't have any datasheet, i had to use the following values for testing:
Capacity:2500mAh
Standard charge current:1.25A (0.5C)
Charge end voltage:4.2V
Charge cut-off current:100mA
Max. discharge currentmentioned by suppliers: 5A (2C)
Discharge cut-off voltage:2.5V

The measured DC IR of fully charged cell at 2500mA was 382.5m?
My cell's weight was 46g
252206_original.jpg

Usually Li-ion cells reach their maximum capacity at the first or second round of the test, then it starts to decline. UR18650ZK demonstrated an unusual behavior, because it's capacity was higher and higher with each round. I tested it 7 times at each discharge rate and at 0.5A the capacity kept on rising up to the end. At 2A it started to decline from 6th round and at 5A - from 5th round. It's a good sign which makes me suggest that the cell gonna stay close to the rated capacity for a long time. Let's look at the results:
251528_original.png

At 0.2C or 0.5A UR18650ZK's capacity was noticeably higher than 2500mAh - 2672mAh. Even at 5A discharge it was just a bit lower than 2500mAh - 2482mAh. I liked this cell a lot. All i need is some info on its cycle life performance...

Here is the video version of this review:

Check outmyYouTube channelfor batteries, chargers and other stuff reviews.
I've launchedmy blogwhere you can find all my reviews in one place. Every new test/review will be first published on YouTube and in the blog. I'll be happy to see new subscribers, comments, suggestions and just your thoughts.

Thank you for the review.

Interesting they made a blue-ish cells instead of the usual red and infested-red.

As for the testing, maybe an 1A discharge would end-up somewhere above 2500mAh.

Overmind said:

Interesting they made a blue-ish cells instead of the usual red and infested-red.

Thanks a lot, Overmind!
Yeah, this cell doesn't look like the other Sanyos))
Definitely it would be ~2500mAh or more at 1A

Overmind said:

Maybe they are hoping that these won't become part of the famous Sanyo 'heater' family?

This is excellent work ... I'm sure many want to buy new cells , but suspect paying high prices from Sony etc is not necessary ... there must be good unknown manufacturers , it's just finding them and knowing how to buy from them ....

There is the question of life cycles ... very important , not easy to test for , I guess we just have to assume all manufacturers deliver similar results on this ...

Will definitely check out your Youtube channel

The cells are made by Sanyo , but don't carry their brand name??? This could suggest they didn't meet their standards in someway and they sold them off to Queen ....

Information on price , bulk discounts , and how and where to buy would be very helpful ... Thanks again ..

ozz93666 said:
The cells are made by Sanyo , but don't carry their brand name??? This could suggest they didn't meet their standards in someway and they sold them off to Queen ....

They carry the brand name as all the Sanyos do:
The cell is marked asSANYO Z UR18650ZK V23A.

ozz93666 said:
Information on price , bulk discounts , and how and where to buy would be very helpful
[/color]

Drop a message to their sales manager, usually they are quick to answer. Their prices depend on the quantity you buy, how long have you been their buyer, etc, etc...

Thanks a lot for your support!!! ;)

Back