Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parallel-serial-parallel common?
Interesting. Any other voices on that. I already wrote my opinion on that.
My Powerwall Build Thread

Maniac_Powerwall: 1x 14S100P 18650 LiIo, 6x 345W LG panels, MPP Solar PIP5048GK, Batrium Watchmon4 BMS
In your example, 60ah, 60ah, 30ah…

You will just have packs moving around equalization current during discharge. No different than cells in a larger pack.

And just like induvial cells, IR matters in high discharge applications. No different here.
Maniac it Will work fine and yes the lower capacity pack Will deliver less current. Thats the basis of ohms law
Maniac_Powerwall likes this post
NOTE! My links supplied in this message may be affiliated with Ebay and by clicking on them you agree on the terms.
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 100kWh LiFePo4 | 20kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly | ABB S3 and S5 Trip breakers
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh
As Daromer said, you can generally parallel connect multiple batteries of different capacities without much issue.

Though you have to be aware that on (dis-)charge, the Amps will not split evenly.
Eg.
Say you connect in parallel Battery#A (90Ah) and Battery#B (10Ah) to have a combined 100Ah system.
When (dis)charging at 50Amps total, the current will split roughly #A = 45Amps and #B = 5Amps. And both #A and #B will discharge evenly in terms of Voltage / SoC%.
So you'll need to take that into consideration when fusing, wire thickness, etc.

Also, when (re)connecting a battery, you have to make sure that it has a similar voltage as the other batteries. Otherwise, too much current will flow trying the balance the charge, and you might pop fuses or overheat and damage cells.

My advice is to make all packs the same capacity. Makes management easier, and you can have just one spare pack you can pop in during maintenance.

Benefit 4) Smaller packs = easier to find faulty cells
richie241 and Maniac_Powerwall like this post
Modular PowerShelf using 3D printed packs.  60kWh and growing.
https://secondlifestorage.com/showthread.php?tid=6458