18650 goes *Pats*

ben teker

*Pats*-sound... the moment a CID kicksin (UR18650FJ) ... !?

First charge ofrecentharvested cell. Initial about 3.5 Volt, now 0.3 V.
Cell isn'twarmer than others during charge withXTAR USB MC2 Plus. Device stopped chargingthese cell.

a CID doesn't kick in. it's not a switch. It's a safety device. It's either making contact or not. If it's not making contact, the cell is toast because it popped for a reason. Either a faulty CID, faulty cell, got too hot, etc, etc.

It "is" possible for the CID to still make "some" kind of contact, but the cell will degrade rapidly later.

i had one let go on a red sanyo heater.
it clicked like a snap disc thermostat.
read 0v afterward.
depends on the design of the cid.

That's the good and bad thing about 18650s. When you harvested your cell, it was probably the same as a puffed lipo, but you couldn't see it because of the steel case, and assumed it was like any other 18650. Charging it "puffed" it enough to disconnect the positive electrode. If it was a lipo, you could have had an explosion.

I have had 2 cells go CID during storage, and 1 while doing a (second) discharge test when I wasn't in the room.

One time I experienced the CID working in person while soldering high-drain cells for a high-drain pack, and it does make that "pats" sound. Either I left the soldering iron too long on the cell or some solder made its way to the negative part of the steel case. Three minutes after the CID triggered, an IR thermometer read the cell temperature as 113*C / 235*F. CID is nothing to mess with. Get rid of that cell, it has been compromised.

Back