Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Limiter inverter with RS485 load setting
Bit more of an update and additional discoveries.

Discovery 1 - the inverters add up the kWh energy throughput purely based on the command value recieved even if this value is impossible to actually output. I wondered why I was seeing differences in the readings over a few days until I had a look at what the inverters thought they were doing. End result, a very poor unrelaible kWh reading.

Discovery 2 - the protocol has no real error checking and any errors are acted upon. Send the unit a packet with a command to output 80kW, fine, max output. 9MW, fine.

The units could do with basic error checking on the data packets, however they still seem to otherwise run ok, so a fix that may turn up in the future. Maybe in a year these units will be far better than the GTIL units for DIY builds rather than comparable.

Running all (meter and inverter) of the RS485 to Ethernet adapters in server mode avoids any hassles with firewalls from wherever you run your code to control them.

Setup the serial ports as 4800 baud,
input buffer for the meter of 8 bytes with a timout of 50mS (if no byte within 50mS then flush the buffer if you don't have 8 bytes)
input buffer for the inverter of 15 bytes with a timout of 50mS (if no byte within 50mS then flush the buffer if you don't have 15 bytes)

You can always do sense checking in the meter reading values (or just use meter reading value from another source) before sending a command to the inverters.

Efficiency is not as bad as I first thought, but still worse than using my 6kW unit.
If you can't quantify how much they cost, it's a deal, I'll buy 5 of them for 3 lumps of rocking horse ......

Messages In This Thread
RE: Limiter inverter with RS485 load setting - by completelycharged - 09-09-2019, 12:47 AM