Batrium WM4 & ext2 - how to switch a load

heiko

Hi,

I just changend my BMS from 123BMS incl extension to Batrium WM4 incl ext2.

with my system I have charged the battery mostly after 4-6hours and I want to use the "unused" energy from solar.
Thats why I had in the past with my former BMS a relay which switch a waterheater as a load to the battery, from soc 100% to soc 90%. This was easy done by the 123 extension.
Now with the Batrium I can't find a simular function.

Any hints for that?
I allready asked Batrium helpline but they just say "read the faq".

I would be happy for any suggest...

greetings from Germany
Heiko

heiko said:
Any hints for that?
I allready asked Batrium helpline but they just say "read the faq".

I would be happy for any suggest...

Do you have the transcript of that support response, or a screenshot ?

You might find using "bypass complete" to trigger one of the available outputs a suitable method of switching your additional load on/off.

There is a PWM output available on the WM board, which would be ideal for proportional control of secondary loads - if it ever gets implemented in the future.

Sean said:
Do you have the transcript of that support response, or a screenshot ?

Sure , but why ?

Sean said:
You might find using "bypass complete" to trigger one of the available outputs a suitable method of switching your additional load on/off.

There is a PWM output available on the WM board, which would be ideal for proportional control of secondary loads - if it ever gets implemented in the future.

The bypass complete sound good to start the event, but how to stop ?

For the PWM I have no clue how to use ...

The PWM feature hasn't been implemented yet, it may well never be, it may well have been intended for some other use- if it has it's not been documented anywhere for public consumption.

There'sno "turn off diversion load at xyz SoC" feature - perhaps use bypass complete to trigger a timer, the on period being the length of time your diversion load would take to reduce the SoC to xyz% ? - there's likely other ways to achieve similar results.

Sean said:
There'sno "turn off diversion load at xyz SoC" feature - perhaps use bypass complete to trigger a timer, the on period being the length of time your diversion load would take to reduce the SoC to xyz% ? - there's likely other ways to achieve similar result
I'm looking for an easy but working function to switch on and off.
I'm wondering why they sell an extension with that many possibilties but just a few presets

Sean said:
There'sno "turn off diversion load at xyz SoC" feature - perhaps use bypass complete to trigger a timer, the on period being the length of time your diversion load would take to reduce the SoC to xyz% ? - there's likely other ways to achieve similar result
I'm looking for an easy but working function to switch on and off.
I'm wondering why they sell an extension with that many possibilties but just a few presets

Many presents exist but its impossible to do every case unless you implement a user Logic set. I run that part externally Myself.

daromer said:
I run that part externally Myself.

And how did you do this ?

I have a Raspberry pi controlling some of the parts via node red and Mqtt. This with solar-sis and watchmonudplistener

Ok, this is not what I call easy ...

Seems I did a misbuy

Why did you change if you hade a working system?

I would consider my system easy but it depends on knowledge and goals. My system is based on alot of software i deceloped so :)

many reasons...
But first I wanted to have all components to 1 display.
The 123BMS has can-bus but no chance to connect to Victron Venus.
So I searched for a compatible bms.
I just found REC and Batrium. Most voices out there recommended Batrium.

Second
I had lots of problems with the old BMS, it was not good for the mobile use. So I decided to change now.

Oki. Lets hope someone can help or Batrium can. I run My installations abit different

daromer said:
Oki. Lets hope someone can help or Batrium can. I run My installations abit different

yeah .. hopefully

thx
Heiko

Using your Batrium and a Venus device together will give you lots more options for making beneficial use of opportunity loads, as opposed to just using the WM & expansion, but you will need to acquire a fairly in depth knowledge of how both systems function in order to take full advantage of all features.

Victron will point you towards one of their approved dealers for installation and configuration help and assistance (which will have cost implications) but their online documentation is very well laid out and comprehensive if you wish to do it yourself. The Batrium documentation isnt quite so well laid out but it is finally now fairly comprehensive, so the DIY route is open to you, with an assumption that you are able to correctly comprehend technical detail.

By pointing you towards their documentation Batrium are simply saying the same as Victron will do (as will any other manufacturer of components) which is that they cannot be expected to offer zero cost support in assisting you with the integration of their product within your specific system.

I just use the voltage to trigger my HWS or Criptocoin miners set the time to 1000seconds rather than 30 seconds to turn on and off. I havn't tested it yet but want to missuse the SOC in charging logic to control the HWS (control logic>discharging>SoC%)

Do this in your solar charge controller - most will have a relay that will switch on when in float and switch off when the voltage drops to the re-bulk setting, or the mppt goes to 'sleep'

I use the float relay in my outback FM60 for this.

@Sean
with Venus I could use the "generator start/stop-option" but this won't work because for start you need to have a "lower soc" and for stop a "higher soc". it's not possible to change this. I already tried ...

@ HughF
my solar charge controller has no load or relay. This was my first idea...

@hbpowerwall
I will try this ... maybe this works. Thx

The easiest way would be a possibility to use the BMS directly as I had it before.

hbpowerwall said:
I havn't tested it yet but want to missuse the SOC in charging logic to control the HWS (control logic>discharging>SoC%)

Just checked It could work, but what preset would be the one (hardware>expansion>output funktions>relay2) ?

Because if I can't decide, the BMS just stop discharging at all.

For now I'm using:
Output 1 as Charging on,
Output 2 as Discharging on,
Relay1 as Critical,

just as a test I took soc% cutout /resume 100% and 95%

Back