Fire proof?

100kwh-hunter

Was tinkering in the shed and I was thinking of the following.

image_xwkevf.jpg

image_dqrxuu.jpg

image_dwfhxc.jpg

image_hqfyvh.jpg

image_mlvfyz.jpg

image_qsdpfz.jpg

My wall is going to be as the drawing on the paper, on the wall: in sections.

So every pack will have its own "room"

Every room will be covered with plaster sheet that can with hold 1000 degrees celsius for over half an hour.
The packs will be covert with sand, so the flame of the cell will blow out the sand(1cm thick) but its sparks will not reach the other cells or the other packs...that's why the room idea.
The flame will meet the plaster that will have time enough to resist the flame for 30 min.

I did not have time enough to make the headboard on the housing of the pack.
But the head board will hold a ventilator to cool off the pack, that seem to be necessary.
Seems the cells will warm up when in use.

Those ventilators i will order on alibaba for...what...1 euro a piece?
They will be connected to there own power line so they don't have a draw on the packs it self, connected with a capacitor, to give them one minute or so to cool of the packs after minimum voltage is reached.

Before the cells are covert with 1 cm of sand, it obvious to work on the edges where the holder meets the wood.
With some ?acrylaatkit?(in dutch its "acrylaatkit", don't know the english word sorry).

I think the wish would be fine grain sand, like play sand.
In the picture is my first pack, that one is not going into the test fase, got a test pack for this.
How do i set one cell of? charge it on 8v?for testing on a safe distance and place and remote ofcourse

Any thoughts on this subject, or comments...everything is welcome
Thought help comment are really appreciated and welcome, i would like to create a cheap safe and workable idea.
Thanks in advance, best Igora

Why is my paper upside down......

So this will be the general idea.
Apply sealant in the corners(the white stuff) to prevent sand is going inbetween the cells.
Some ventilator to draw some cool air between the cells.

It's a workable idea for me, now I am going to make a good test setup.
image_yyhhpo.jpg

image_ddenir.jpg

image_aovdoy.jpg

Let's let it all dry up.
Connect some wires and a buck converter.
And try to make one (heater) to do some fire spitting.

image_ipytrt.jpg

image_eamsck.jpg

Any idea is welcome to let that cell go spit fire in a controlled way, I already disconnected a surveillance camera to record the whole process.
I have also a old window ready to protect the camera.
Any help or advice or comments are very appreciated.

Thanks in advance

It seems hard to make a good cell catch fire from over charging. I believe most videos I have seen on this have used and external heat source to heat the cells.

Don't mean this to be snarky - just asking. Seems like wood will simply catch fire? A metal or fire-proof material seems more appropriate - what am I missing? From the youtubes I've seen - a 'burning' 18650 cell is like a flare... sustained high temperature flame shooting out the end and will ignite other/neighbor cells one by one... so a loooong burning flame with that many cells.

bogptrsn said:
It seems hard to make a good cell catch fire from over charging. I believe most videos I have seen on this have used and external heat source to heat the cells.

Any variable PSU capable of outputting a few amps will do - just turn off any current limiting and set the voltage to something in excess of 4.2v

OffGridInTheCity said:
Don't mean this to be snarky - just asking. Seems like wood will simply catch fire? A metal or fire-proof material seems more appropriate - what am I missing? From the youtubes I've seen - a 'burning' 18650 cell is like a flare... sustained high temperature flame shooting out the end and will ignite other/neighbor cells one by one... so a loooong burning flame with that many cells.

This is true, and seems a little counter intuitive. However, with high quick heat, wood will char instead of burn. This will cause a thick carbon layer to be created on the flame side. This layer becomes an insulator and the flame won't move as fast. It won't stop completely, but may be long enough for the cells flame to be extinguished and then other fire suppression methods can be implemented.

If you are working on a system with fire prevention in mind I think alerting you of the fire needs to be high on the list.
If the battery gets into a situation where the fire is spreading from cell to cell its unlikey to stop without some sort of intervention.
Linear Heat Detection cable isnt that expensive and is easy to integrate into a system.

Im keeping my battery seperate to my house as last line of defence against a fire. A decent BMS is my first line of defence with, individual cell fusing as backup.

Perfect answers, that give me something to work with.

@sean as always gives perfect facts, very appreciated.

As far with the picture, the wood is lined with plaster if you look close.
My bank will have fuses on every level.

The setup has changed a bit, (again) the cells will be on there side (not facing up/standing)and the sand will not be on top of the cells directly.
The sand will be in a tray on the "selling" of the compartment.
Also the cells will be deeper in the compartment, so if a cell want to spit fire, the sparks will not reaches the other packs.
The fuses, sand and batrium will do the rest?

@Korishan.
You are right, but:
If the wood has a RH of below 50-60%, its pretty dry, i intend to make a very dry shed, with a dehumidifier, to prevent rust.
The humidity in Holland is often higher than 70%.

The shed will be 3 meters away from the house.
So it will very easy to be ignited, but is the flame burning long enough to set the wood on fire?
Its also going to be tested.
And will the plaster be up to the task?
Or do i really need vermiculiet woll or sheets.

I want to create a worst case scenario, to prevent this chain reaction with a duable, practical solutions and i am getting close.
I also saw some youtube video's, what could happen with 10kwh, i really don't want that.

Thanks for thinking with me

Back