Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
small garage solar project
Although that solution worked, my battery is draining overnight. Do I just need to put a diode on positive feedback from solar panel?
Interesting. The charge controller "should" have a diode in it to prevent backfeeding at night. Are you sure the batteries drained because of the panels, or did the inverter drain them?

You could put a diode on the panel side and see what happens.
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
Just make sure to add proper fusers or breakers . Happy it works now
The Ultimate DIY Solar and build place
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 83kWh LiFePo4 | 10kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh | Automatic trip breakers, and alot more
Are you leaving the inverter running over night too (it'll drain the batteries) or just powering up the inverter when you use the lights? (this is what I'd do)
Korishan likes this post
Running off solar, DIY & electronics fan :-)
Hi, thanks for all your replies. When I went to put a diode on the panel side of the system, I realised that I'd already put one in ages ago! Doh! I think the logical explanation is that the inverter is draining the battery as suggested by Redpacket. I wanted the system to work so that I just flipped a light switch when I went in the garage. The inverter is half way into the garage so it kind of defeats the object in a way.
Perhaps I could put a switch between the battery and inverter and mount this on the wall as I enter the garage. I think that may be the solution.
Or Use lights that are designed for battery voltage and get rid of the inverter in the equation?
Korishan likes this post
The Ultimate DIY Solar and build place
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 83kWh LiFePo4 | 10kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh | Automatic trip breakers, and alot more
(08-01-2019, 10:58 AM)daromer Wrote: Or Use lights that are designed for battery voltage and get rid of the inverter in the equation?

yes, that would have been sensible! It was more of an experiment with some bits and bobs that I had, so that I could learn from it.  I plan to build a bigger system to power part of the house at some point.
Korishan likes this post