CyberWall

Scepterr

CyberWall DC
7S80P +1 swap2300mah avg cell
3 packs Panasonic, 1 pack Moli,1 pack Sony, 2 packs mixed
This bank will be used to power all my shop DC appliances, 300 watts of LED lighting, 1200 watts of LED signage. Not sure yet exactly what I'll use for DC to DC output.
Pack Specs;
Pack to pack connection via XT90(2*10AWG each side)
Positive Side: 4AWG Bus, .2mmx8mm nickel spot welded pairs, pairs fused to bus,24AWG Tinned Copper Fuse Wire
Negative Side: 4AWG Bus, .2mmx8mm nickel spot welded, all cells to bus
image_tjrmfm.jpg

image_mlrejy.jpg

image_komtpy.jpgimage_pyertx.jpg

CyberWall AC
7S80P LGMF12100-2200mah avg cell
This bank will be hooked up to a 3000watt inverter and usedto power all my shop tools, soldering/hot air stations, hot plates, vacuum chambers, clean air stations

image_qugydo.jpg

image_pwlpes.jpg

image_iqouuu.jpg

Testing Process;
All cells that pass physical inspection (no rust,leakage,large dents) and register a voltage get charged.
Cells below 2v get 100mA charge to 3V then 500mA till full and monitored for excessive heat.
Cells above 2V get charged at 1A to full.
Cells that are above 3V out of the pack and are in pairs or triplets I charge without disassembly.
After initial charge cells rest for 3-5 days, all cells above 4.1 get capacity tested at 1A and resistance checked. Pairs and triplets get split for capacity test. Cells that show any significant heat during initial charge get put through an additionaldischarge/charge cycle before capacity check, if they show less heat they move onto capacity check.
Besides the actual capacity one thing I check for is tested capacity vs original spec capacity if it's less than 70% and the cell resistance is relatively low I attribute that to cycle life degradation and I dont put those cells in an active pack. All those cells that are over 2000mAh go into my spare swap pack, in my view they are perfect for that purpose since they'll have limited use if any while a pack is being repaired and it'll have equivalent capacity to the rest.
I use the 4S for capacity testing, personally I would advise against the Opus. After 3 days of discharging and charging with it, I'm not a fan of how it performs, check my posts in thisthread.

From all the packs I've seen everybody uses the 4x5 holders as 4 across. I'm using them as 5 across skipping the center for bus bar placement and air flow.
I'm curious why others haven't done something similar, even use all 5 across?

No use for extra air vent in my case and therefore didnt use it. I choose that way because it fits the lengths of my shelfs.

Scepterr said:
From all the packs I've seen everybody uses the 4x5 holders as 4 across. I'm using them as 5 across skipping the center for bus bar placement and air flow.
I'm curious why others haven't done something similar, even use all 5 across?

Most of us are charging/discharging at like 0.25A. Cells don't generate any heat at these rates. There's no need for any kind of cooling.

I was also thinking the fewer cells that are touching and yes I know they're not actually touching, the better. In case of catastrophic cell failure, and the fuse doesn't stop it.

Scepterr said:
I was also thinking the fewer cells that are touching and yes I know they're not actually touching, the better. In case of catastrophic cell failure, and the fuse doesn't stop it.

It's an interesting thought, but when a cell vents and ignites, flames blow everywhere. Having space between the cells will not prevent it from spreading.

They went from the top and not from the side so that part is not a big problem. Its a bigger problem using the plastic cases that will catch fire. If they went they went for 2-3 seconds on the top and thats it. Yes the case will get hot but the energy in them isnt generally enough to actually ignite the rest of the cells. and if so you need to spread every cell out alot :) For instance in the packs im using today they are all together tight and touching. This is factory made...

So it seems I'm a bit paranoid ;)

Went a bit crazy, decided to rewrap and label all my cells, 3 packs down, 4 to go :sick:

image_jcexiz.jpg

Scepterr said:
Went a bit crazy, decided to rewrap and label all my cells, 3 packs down, 4 to go :sick:

image_jcexiz.jpg

Those look awesome man! Good job! I can't wait to see it up and running.

I'm considering using these as "dumb" temp and voltage monitors, 3 per pack, top, middle, bottom.
What do you guys think, pointless or useful?

image_iosgci.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/112040739432

Get your self a raspberry pi. Hook up DS18B20 instead and you can easily graph your temps and get remote readings. Add a small screen and you get the readings on screen if needed. Total cost would be cheaper than above you linked if you going for 3 per pack...

DS18B20 you get for around 0.7USD. (Depending on quantity)

Link to Ebay and DS18b20: https://goo.gl/UtvBHi

Though you dont get Voltage sensing in above but can be done too... A bit more complex though.

I'm going to be running a rpi monitoring system that's going to be talking to a few remote Teensies each driving a 8x80 ws2812 led display displaying wall/pack stats
The idea behind the ds3231 modules is that they're plugnplay and I'm going to have a camera watching the packs so they'll be visible on camera, basically a "dumb" monitoring redundancy to any "smart" monitoring

Pack organization complete

image_kgzvjc.jpg

image_frnuqm.jpg

Only rewrapped the Panasonic cells, all the cells from toughbook batteries get destroyed during disassembly, therest of cells are all good

Bus wire came in

image_lmdpwx.jpg

Very nice! And neat! :)

More info and testing process added

Test fitting
I think I need to add some padding to the top, it's a bit too shaky

image_bntdok.jpg

image_ivhicf.jpg

Hmm this would make a very nice desktop PowerWall monitor

image_ngmdxs.jpg

Nice, but expensive from that guy :( Would be better to make them yourself, imho

Definitely cheaper to DIY, I just don't wanna spend the time getting everything. I'll probably have him preconfigure it to display what I want out of the box

I currently have a test setup going with a raspberrypi transmitting stats to a teensy running a 10x34 ws2812 led display. I want the oled displays to pull the same data

Back