Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cells. Charger with discharging
(07-24-2019, 12:21 AM)Geek Wrote: You can always charge cells in parallel with the IMAX. I use 2x 4 cell holders. I write the voltage on cells before I charge them, and add them as the voltage comes close enough. You shouldn't put two cells in parallel if they are more than 0.1v or so different. Would suggest putting fuses on such a setup, as putting a cell in backwards could be very hazardous. Also, using a piece of strap, or string under the cells makes for easy removal.

Buy a multi cell discharger such as the Liitokala or the Opus for testing. They often work out cheaper than buying the ZB2L3. However, the ZB2L3 can be used with higher current. As mentioned above these things can be had fairly cheaply. Just beware of clones and fakes.

Charging with a device other than your tester comes with a few advantages. If a cell leaks, it only damages a cheap cell holder. You can weed out self discharging cells, so as not to waste time testing them with your discharger.

Thanks, I have done 4 in my Imax but it does not tell me the mAh of each cell and as you say potentially risky.

It surprises me that there is not a bigger bay version of the Litokala, it seems that they have a new s version but no resistence reading.

(07-23-2019, 12:17 AM)Crimp Daddy Wrote: I don't see how you can really get that much cheaper than a liitokala lii-500... ordered from China I paid $78.26 for 6 units shipped.  That's $13 per charger/discharged.  I won't even bother to try and build one for less using TP4056 and separate discharges.

That said, hobby chargers (like the iCharger units) are great too, really my tool of choice, they are just terrible at high volume processing.  That said, I use them to test completed modules or packs which is where its strengths are.

BTW do you have a supplier to recommend in China, Banggood charge more that $13
(07-25-2019, 02:56 PM)18650 Wrote: It surprises me that there is not a bigger bay version of the Litokala, it seems that they have a new s version but no resistence reading.

Any of the charger /discharger /testers IR readings are not to be trusted anyway so why even bother.
If you want IR readings that are accurate go with a YR-1030.
If you want some detailed info on chargers check out my post here https://secondlifestorage.com/t-Skyrc-MC...6#pid52356

Wolf
18650 and Geek like this post
If 18 X 650 = 2200+mAh then we have power! 
May all your Cells have an IR of 75mΩ or less Smile
Last count as of 8/7/2019
Total Number of Cells Recorded and processed                 6149
Total Cells required for PowIRwall                                   2856
Total Cells ≥2200mAh, ≥80%, ≥35mΩ, ≤75mΩ, ≥4.12V   2760
For Info Google Drive
Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
(07-25-2019, 02:56 PM)18650 Wrote:
(07-23-2019, 12:17 AM)Crimp Daddy Wrote: I don't see how you can really get that much cheaper than a liitokala lii-500... ordered from China I paid $78.26 for 6 units shipped.  That's $13 per charger/discharged.  I won't even bother to try and build one for less using TP4056 and separate discharges.

That said, hobby chargers (like the iCharger units) are great too, really my tool of choice, they are just terrible at high volume processing.  That said, I use them to test completed modules or packs which is where its strengths are.

BTW do you have a supplier to recommend in China, Banggood charge more that $13

I purchased mine at aliexpress.  Keep an eye out of volume deals or perhaps coupons.  Also, I did NOT purchase it with the power adapters... you can buy barrel jacks cheap and wire up your own power distribution using a PC power supply or anything else that can deliver 12v.

(07-25-2019, 03:19 PM)Wolf Wrote:
(07-25-2019, 02:56 PM)18650 Wrote: It surprises me that there is not a bigger bay version of the Litokala, it seems that they have a new s version but no resistence reading.

Any of the charger /discharger /testers IR readings are not to be trusted anyway so why even bother.
If you want IR readings that are accurate go with a YR-1030.
If you want some detailed info on chargers check out my post here https://secondlifestorage.com/t-Skyrc-MC...6#pid52356

Wolf

I agree... I don't use the multi-bay chargers like the Litokala, Opus, or other similar units for IR readings.  If I want to do IR, I default to my RC hobby chargers which from my experience appear to do this reliably in my limited testing.

It does help to make a little cell holder tool with leads which have given my pretty consistent results when randomly testing the same cell.  My more expensive hobby charger does the same task but even better.  My 206B can't read very low resistance EV cells reliably where the 4010 Duo can.

Thanks Guys

I have an Imax clone and the reason I want a charger for testing other than being able to charge/discharge 4 concurrently is that I get different mAh readings on the same batteries charged in the same way on the same device. Rather than write on them I print a label. I had some that came out at 2874 and then a few weeks later came out at 1780. I might understand a small difference but this is huge.

I figured the Imax can introduce a lot of variables, so getting a charger will give me something that may be wrong but it will be consistently wrong within a range.

I know the chargers are not perfect but what was interesting in Average Joe video I posted above was he measured the resistence multiple times across 3 different chargers and the Lii was similar to the xTar but way different from the Opus.

I think resistence coupled with a poor charge is a confirmation that cell can only be used in limited projects. I get rid of cells that show any physical defects, leaks etc.
Lii is max 1a Charge and 0.5 a discharge doing 4 cells. Opus is 1a discharge
The Ultimate DIY Solar and build place
YouTube / Forum system setup / My webpage  Diy Tech & Repairs

Current: 10kW Mpp Hybrid | 4kW PIP4048 | 2x PCM60x | 83kWh LiFePo4 | 10kWh 14s 18650 |  66*260W Poly
Upcoming: 14S 18650~30kWh | Automatic trip breakers, and alot more
For charging, I would just get TP5100s.
The power of lithium ion is in our hands!
We'll show them what we're made of!