25R vs 30Q?

Brispower

Hi all I've collected a bunch of cells mainly 30Q cells Im think they're good going through and testing them etc .. just curious if someone could explain the difference in amp rating? I just read the 25r is a 2500mah and 20a current and the 30Q is 3000mah and 15amp current .. is that measure apples and oranges?

I am assuming you are talking about the SamsungINR18650-25R and 30Q.
If you are then there really is no difference except for the mAh rating of the cells.

The standard charge and discharge rates are very close and the preferedIR is the same.

image_xdsuzx.jpg

Lithium manganesenickel (LiNiMnCoO2)INR cells are high drain cells with low IR and arevery good performing cells.
The difference between the twois the INR18650-25R will fully discharge at max current 20A in 7.5min.
and the INR18650-30Q will give you 12min.at the max current of 15A.

In real world situations if you discharge bothbatteries at 1 amp the INR18650-25R will give you 2.5 hrs
and the INR will give you 3 hrs.
But all this is self explanatory.
It would be good to know what you will be using the batteries for to determine their value to your project.

Wolf

YesSamsung 25/30s... they mostlyrange between14-25mOhm + a couple of duds in the mix.. but I'm charging them all up will let them sit for a week or 2 before cycling them etc.. ::) Im new to the world of 18650s systematically learningand keen to learn as much as i can before attempting tobuild myown power wall for off grid living..

Brispower said:
YesSamsung 25/30s... they mostlyrange between14-25mOhm + a couple of duds in the mix.. but I'm charging them all up will let them sit for a week or 2 before cycling them etc.. ::) Im new to the world of 18650s systematically learningand keen to learn as much as i can before attempting tobuild myown power wall for off grid living..

Excellent welcome to the board.

Make sure you read the FAQs.
Also there are many posts regarding battery capacity IR and on and on.

If you can get those cells and any other INR cells and stick with just them (remember that those are high drain cells) it's all about the chemistry.
Then that would be great. The max IR of those cells according to the manufacturer should be 18m?. Anything above that,more than likely your mAh testing results will be below 80% of capacity.

If you you are unable to get a steady supply of these high drain cells then my suggestion is to go with the standard ICR low drain chemistry as there are many more sourcesfor those. Personally I would not mix high drain and low drain cell in a powerwall as the IR difference is too much and there would be an imbalance between the cells.

Wolf

Yes .. I've watched a few disaster videos and will be taking all precautions ... thank you for the info :)

Back