Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you run on solar in winter time?
Ok i was gerting really excited about solar, when i saw someone here talk about winter, just wondering if it is
Possible to suvive during winter period, i live cornwall in the uk where there is lots of wind.
I am currently building a wind turbine as well. Maby 2
Thanks
Battery is li iron using 18650s, 14s, 0p, and growing cell so far 300, untesteded.
Bms is a diy open source by stuartpittaway.
No solar yet, 
Building wind turbine, 48v im after a 48v motor if anybody has one for sale.
Cells 2000 to 2500ma.
Cells 1500 to 2000ma.
Cells 1000 to 1500ma.
Totally depends on where you live I guess...

In the UK I dont think so, unless you got a LOT of panels, like 10x the panels you need in summer.

Wind is perfect for the winter if you are in the right place, the power available at night will make a big difference.
Ibiza likes this post
(07-24-2019, 08:20 PM)Jonisingt35r Wrote: Ok i was gerting really excited about solar, when i saw someone here talk about winter, just wondering if it is
Possible to suvive during winter period, i live cornwall in the uk where there is lots of wind.
I am currently building a wind turbine as well. Maby 2
Thanks

Hello neighbour,

I have a 7 kWp array (28 x 250Wp panes) and on our typical wet and windy days I get very little gain from them. I'm

Where in Cornwall are you? I'm near to the Eden Project.

I've also been thinking about a wind turbine.
UK Southwest.

7 kWp Solar Panels (28 x 250Wp Shinetime Mono).
14 X APS YC500i Micro Inverters.
28 X 40P 18650 cell packs/modules configured as 14S 80P.
Sofar Mass Energy ME3000SP AC coupled charger/inverter.
Still sourcing and processing cells for powerwall.
There are solar farms in Alaska. So yeah, you can use solar in winter (obviously not during their 2 months of night).

The further north you go, the more the panels need to be tilted to face the sun, which means they also need to either be higher, or tree/buildings need to be further away to keep from blocking.
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
Hi chuck, live in cambourne ? somin figures how much power do you typically get when its raining, and in winter time?
We had a storm a few weeks back never seen wind like that it would definatly rip the turbine to pieces
Battery is li iron using 18650s, 14s, 0p, and growing cell so far 300, untesteded.
No solar yet, 
Cells 2000 to 2500ma.
Cells 1500 to 2000ma.
Cells 1000 to 1500ma.
(07-24-2019, 11:28 PM)Jonisingt35r Wrote: Hi chuck, live in cambourne ? somin figures how much power do you typically get when its raining, and in winter time?
We had a storm a few weeks back never seen wind like that it would definatly rip the turbine to pieces

Hi bud

Wet and cloudy days make a big difference to my production. I've been running a thread on it with screen shots of the ECU/EMA data, but I've not updated it for a while been very busy.

https://secondlifestorage.com/t-Snowlar-...lus-energy

Yesterday I was working out Newquay area and it was a cracking day, at home it was cloudy most of the day, only managed 9.91kWh. Last Thursday was an awful day rain and cloud all day, only managed 5.37kWh. On a good sunny day production is in the high 30kWh range. Not quite managed to reach that 40kWh mark yet ?

Here's a few screen captures showing my total monthly production and the daily figures for period 1st April to date.

Daily

I've only had the 7kWp array running since April hence the sudden jump in production, before then I only had 3.5kWh up and running. The following screenshots December to March are for the 3.5kWh array.

UK Southwest.

Hi chuck thanms for the data, is that data kw from your panels?
blimy starting to worry i wont be able to make anything during winter perioid,
Im looking to buy some land round here and go off grid fingers crossed.
So really to stand any chance you need at least 8kw worth of solar ? And a couple of turbines should help
Really not worked out the figures yet on whar i need to make just started to collect 18650s building a battery and building a bms system.
And building a turbine
Just out of interest are you off grid or feed into the grid?
No solar yet, 
Cells 2000 to 2500ma.
Cells 1500 to 2000ma.
Cells 1000 to 1500ma.
(07-25-2019, 09:10 AM)Jonisingt35r Wrote: Hi chuck  thanms for the data, is that data kw from your panels?
blimy starting to worry i wont be able to make anything during winter perioid,
Im looking to buy some land round here and go off grid fingers crossed.
So really to stand any chance you need at least 8kw worth of solar ? And a couple of turbines should help
Really not worked out the figures yet on whar i need to make just started to collect 18650s building a battery and building a bms system.
And building a turbine
Just out of interest are you off grid or feed into the grid?

Grid tied with FIT, yes kWh/day produced by the array, my plan is to store all surplus to use during in the evenings and aim for as close to a zero export as possible.

I have customer that is totally of grid, he has a 14kWp array, 50kWh of storage capacity and a diesel generator for battery back up. However he does have a high power usage as he operates as a camp site.
In the winter months he needs the generator on very bad days.
UK Southwest.