Pack bus bar gauge

Ivo Staelens

I keep seeing three strands of 2,5mm2 turned in one bus bar. If i count this means 7,5mm2 per pack.

Can this stand the big amperages?

This is probably a stupid question but i have always been wondering about this

https://secondlifestorage.com/imghost/qtqzit0.jpg

Great work, but for us "the metric basterds" in mm2 or mm in dia would be nice.

For example i use a busbar 8 times a 2,5mm wire, eg 2,05mm2 wire,(8,4mm2) that would be 5 ga.
If you use 6 of those strands u sit on 6.5 g.
If you use 3 of those strands (1x!) u have 6.15mm2 eg, then u are between 9 and 10 awg.
https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/wire/wire-gauge-chart.html

But beware of mm2 surface and diameter = mm

Hope this helps

image_ndycil.jpg

image_mfgiis.jpg

If i made a calculation mistake, or unit confusion, please correct me.

Yes it does ! sorry for the perhaps obvious questions. But I always think that asking questions is a good thing !

In domestic household (read Denmark/Europe) a 1.5 mm2 single core will be OK to fuse with 13 A (Common Installation cables are 3 x 1.5, Live, Neutral, Earth). Need more power, next step is 3 phase AC, Cables used for domestic use is 5 x 2.5 sq mm, these are fused with 16/20 Amps.

So using 3 x 2.5 sq mm strands should be OK for 50 A, deducted a bit for twisting the 3 strands.

Personally I use 4 x 2.5 mm2 or when the thick wire runs out, 7 x 1.5 mm2.

Each side of a cell bank has2bars, so 100 Amps should be safe.

I rate each bank at 80A (fused)and each cell (100 ea) is fused with 1 A.

ChrisD

@ ChrisD
Denmark is not even so far away, but here in Holland the common household wire is 2.05 sq mm with 16 amp fuses, ac
Live neutral and earth.
For installation or machinery its also 2.05 sq mm but times four or five wires, 3 times live, 1 or no neutral and 1 earth. 25 amp fuses ac.

100kwh-hunter said:
Great work, but for us "the metric basterds" in mm2 or mm in dia would be nice.

If you look at the post, there is an image that gives a size comparison. It was included for this exact reason so that imperial and metric measurements could be easily compared/used.

Ivo Staelens said:
Yes it does ! sorry for the perhaps obvious questions. But I always think that asking questions is a good thing !

Yes, asking is always a good thing. That's why I post the link to the FAQ that answers most basic questions ;)

@ Korishan, yep, found it, it was right next to where i put my glasses.
To bad it ends at 10ga.
Thanks

100kwh-hunter said:
@ Korishan, yep, found it, it was right next to where i put my glasses.
To bad it ends at 10ga.
Thanks

Good point. I've updated the images and added this one:

image_asrler.jpg

Good work!
I was more thinking about this.

image_iuxndl.jpg

Me and my computer skills.........

To prevent unit confusion, i think its also wise to make a difference between sq mm/mm2 and between dia mm.
If we take 2,5 mm wire times 10 we won't end up with 25mm in dia wire
The same 2,5 mm wire is 2.05 sq mm/mm2 that times 10 will give 20,5 mm2 or awg 4.

I think to put a footnote like this in it, would be very helpful for some eu members to avoid unit mistakes.

Back