Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wolf's PowIRwall
(04-16-2020, 04:16 AM)Generic Wrote: If I'm hijacking this thread, feel free to orphan this post. Since you bring up rust, there's something I've always been wondering - If electrolyte is so caustic, why don't all cells rust from the inside out within a matter of time? is the nickel plate really thick on the inside of the cell?

Generic,
I think it is more about O2. Oxygen is an oxidizer and given the right circumstances will combine with anything to form another state of the material it combines with.
The cells are sealed so there is no new introduction of O2 so nothing to (oxidize). Also I believe Nickel is somewhat better at resisting corrosion than most metals other than gold.

That's what I'm thinking.

Wolf
Korishan likes this post
For Info Google Drive

Great ABB shunt breaker seller River City Industrial
Great prices and superb service.
 [Image: em2566%20(1)__19172.1521541365.jpg?c=2]

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
And platinum. But I doubt we'll see cells with Platinum in them Tongue
Proceed with caution. Knowledge is Power! Literally! Cool 
Knowledge is Power; Absolute Knowledge is Absolutely Shocking!
Certified 18650 Cell Reclamation Technician

Please come join in general chit-chat and randomness at Discord Chat (channels: general, 3d-printing, linux&coding, 18650, humor, ...)
(this chat is not directly affiliated with SecondLifeStorage; VALID email req'd)
Update:
3 things
#1: 
Batrium is on its way!!! Woohuu!!

#2:
Pack number 12 all re-wrapped and ready for cell level fuses. (If Battery Hookup ever gets the cell level fuse sheets in) Sad
I do have a backup plan as I have 20 feet of each 2p and 3p sheets. May not look as uniform as the other packs but it will work.
2 more to go Big Grin
All cells are unwrapped without the use of a razor blade or utility knife as when you cut the insulation off with such devices you leave a score on the casing of the cell that will weaken the cell and give it a point of breakage. Just like when you score a sheet of glass it will break on that score. the same with a cell internal pressures will cause the score to be the weak spot. Keep that in mind when re-wrapping cells.
Here are the cells waiting for their new covers. I already did the red ones.

Onto the shrinking table. (No social distancing here) Tongue

Now don't they look all happy and clean?

Into the cell holder to join all their friends.

Here is what's left of their old coats.

#3:
Pack #4 came out perfect with the Ah discharge at 185.68 with my new iCharger X8. The iCharger X6 I am using to keep an eye on the regen pack to make sure the packs stay in balance through this back and forth charge and discharge exercise. So far so good.
I have ordered a cheap 3s BMS just in case but so far the packs have been perfect without any intervention. Also if need be I can always use the X6
to run just a balance on the packs.

Well that's it for today.
Pack 13 re-wrap duty tonight and then pack 14 tomorrow.

Wolf
For Info Google Drive

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
Update:

Found 2 more corroded cells that were replaced. Again no external signs of problems also capacity and IR were good.

All 14 packs done 11 tested and 3 more to test.  Smile
Picture is of 13 packs as 1 is being tested.

Results of the packs is very encouraging as far as consistency in Ah is concerned.

Now for the Lexan side covers and the cabling.

Wolf
For Info Google Drive

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
Update:

The last pack has been tested and as expected the results were right in line with all the others.
After over analyzing the results the deviation between the min Ah and max Ah of the packs is 2.46%, not bad for a first pack build attempt.

Good news the Batrium BMS has arrived and I will look forward to setting it up.

Alright that's it for now.

Wolf
For Info Google Drive

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
Update:

As they say idle hands make a devils workshop so as I am waiting for my Lexan side covers which have been cut by my glass shop.

I now need to prepare them to mount to the battery packs, and I need a couple of hrs in the glass shop to cut holes and do some fine tuning.
That will probably happen this weekend.
In the meantime I am planning for the enclosure that I will place these batteries into.
Since I live in Maine and the temperature can go from one extreme to the other and the batteries are going to be in a shed and not in a "climate controlled environment" I need to take some things into consideration. Heat and Cold.
So with my limited knowledge of microprocessors I went to work.
My idea is to build a box to house the packs into that has some form of temperature management.
For the heat management the box will have 3 flaps/vents 2 on the sides and 1 on top. Under the top flap/vent there will be 2 or 3 fans.
The flaps/vents will be servo controlled and open around 23 °C and the fans will kick in around 28°C. I have not decided if I will PWM them for speed control relevant to temp yet but I am considering it.
For the cold management I will install 2 incubator heaters to maintain the box temperature at a minimum of 2°C
The system will be managed by an esp32 module that will control 3 servos and 2 relays to accomplish this. The system will be independently powered by my secondary 12V solar system. The shed has its own solar panels, charge controller and AGM batteries  (To be replaced with Li-io in the future) and is responsible for its own power consumption.
The first challenge was to get the esp32 to do all that which I have accomplished. 
It has a DHT11 sensor (which will be replace by a DHT22 for greater temp range capabilities) for temp and humidity it is a rather slower reacting sensor so the servos and fans don't constantly kick in and out at the threshold temps. I suppose I can also debounce the readings in the sketch.
It has a 0.96in OLED attached  soon to be replaced with a 1.3in OLED to display the status of the battery box and it also sends data to my influx db so the parameters can be monitored remotely.
Don't laugh at the breadboard but the prototype works.

Also the influx data visualized in grafana.

That's it for now

Wolf
Solardad likes this post
For Info Google Drive

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
Update,

So I went to the glass shop to pick up may lexan and put some curves on the corners.

I know how you all like pictures so I'll let them do the talking.

With that done off to the shed for final drilling.

And the final result

Got 4 of them done. 10 more to go.

Next, Batrium Longmon placement, cablinging between packs.
In my spare time thinking about battery box design and  the environment control electronics for it.
Thats it for now.
Wolf
Solardad likes this post
For Info Google Drive

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
Allright another big update.

I was able to get 11 of the packs enclosed in lexan and am waiting for another 6 pieces to finish the remaining 3 packs.
Built the pack to pack jumpers and promptly ran out of heat shrink. Ordered this AM.
Glued Spacers on the longmons and fastened them to the packs. Wired everything together and initialized the Batrium and all looks good.
Now for some wire management cleanup for the longmons building the battery box and getting all this out into the shed so they can start to absorb some energy from the sun. Big Grin

Pictures of the assembly as always.

Wolf
camthecam likes this post
For Info Google Drive

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
Hi Wolf. Great read. Few questions if I may...
Why Lexan and not just cheap Acrylic?
Are you screwing through the Longmon spacers into the holders between 2 cells?
What are the white rods you're using to clamp the laxan sides - Looks like some kind of nylon rod, with threaded ends and bolts I'm guessing?
How will you be mounting them in the shed. I didn't see any shed photos in this thread - Did I miss them?
When you want to add extra capacity, how will you achieve this?
Do you have a chart of every cell and its position, so you know what value to replace it with, or is every cell marked with that info, or its number?
Is there a meaning to the colours used?

I dub these Wolf Packs!

Wayne
(05-11-2020, 01:20 PM)Wayne\s World Wrote: Hi Wolf. Great read. Few questions if I may...
Why Lexan and not just cheap Acrylic?
Are you screwing through the Longmon spacers into the holders between 2 cells?
What are the white rods you're using to clamp the laxan sides - Looks like some kind of nylon rod, with threaded ends and bolts I'm guessing?
How will you be mounting them in the shed. I didn't see any shed photos in this thread - Did I miss them?
When you want to add extra capacity, how will you achieve this?
Do you have a chart of every cell and its position, so you know what value to replace it with, or is every cell marked with that info, or its number?
Is there a meaning to the colours used?

I dub these Wolf Packs!

Wayne
You may............... Smile
Why Lexan because I have a friend. Also it is very tough basically unbreakable, yea expensive, but as I said I have a friend.
He recommended Lexan as I was drilling the support holes for the nylon rods relatively close to the edge.

Yes I am screwing the longmon spacers between 2 cells it just makes it and the screws are very short. I drill a very small pilot hole and the screw just penetrates enough to hold. No fear of contacting the cells. Not that contact would be any good either way but it is on the negative side of the cells.

I bought nylon threaded rod in lengths and also nylon tube for spacers in lengths cut them to size. The nylon threaded rod was ¼-20 thread and the Nylon tube was ¼ ID. Then I just added nylon nuts and washers cutting the threaded rod flush after tightening.

No you didn't miss the shed photos as I didn't post any of them yet. I am in the process of designing a battery box to house these cell in.  It will be environmentally controlled. IE cooling with fans and heating for temps below 3° C. I will be using ESP32 microcontrollers to control the vent doors with servos, the fans will be PWM controlled with temp sensors so that energy consumption will be as low as possible. Additionally 2 100 watt 12 volt self-regulating incubation heaters to keep the box temp above 3° C. Fans and heaters relay controlled. All of these parameters will be posting to my influx database and visualized on grafana. The sketches for the ESP32s work (that took some time  Tongue ) and I have the dashboard built. No data at the moment as I now have to go from breadboard to final assembly.

The shed itself is independently powered with 400 Watts of solar that charge at this moment into 1 massive AGM 12V telecom battery (to be replaced by Li-ion or some derivative thereof in the near future). The shed has no influence on the house system other than that it powers the shed cooling fans, lights, and the various sensors and "stuff".
Mounting the battery box is still in the planning stages. But as you can see I will be providing pictures at an ongoing basis.

Extra capacity is just a matter of another 14 packs tied in with the existing packs. Not sure what you mean by that.

I do have a chart of every cell in the build. Each cell has a number that correlates to the original spreadsheet into which it was entered at first arrival. The actual cells that went into the packs are also recorded in repackr with id # and which pack the cell went into. Also when I re-wrapped all the cells, that number, capacity, mΩ resistance and pack number was recorded on each cell. See my re-wrapping section in this thread. I do not however have the exact location of each cell within their corresponding packs.

The insulating wrap color was chosen as close as possible to the original and for some hair brained reason I wanted to keep same manufacturer and model cells close together.

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Wolf
Solardad likes this post
For Info Google Drive

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool