Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wolf's PowIRwall
Small update:

After 149 days of continuous charge and discharge cycles of the "Wolfenstein" IRpack it is working very well.
At max discharge of ≈3.45V the max difference between cells is ≈0.06V and today was a great charging day, an almost perfect fall solar day in the northeast.
The LUX curve was perfect. The auxiliary 12 Volt battery definitely got a ballance charge today. Wink

When approaching full charge at 4.05V the cells voltages all tighten up and all come to within 0.02V of each other. 
There has been no degradation of the pack so far ≈140 Ah consistently across the board.
Very little interaction of the batrium balancing system so far.
Can't wait to get my 2nd pack installed.

Wolf
Trapper, Solardad, Redpacket like this post
For Info Google Drive

Great ABB shunt breaker seller River City Industrial
Great prices and superb service.
 [Image: em2566%20(1)__19172.1521541365.jpg?c=2]

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
Update............
I recently managed to acquire a Victron  Smart Solar MPPT | -Tr Controller for reasonable money. I have 2 arrays  with orientation easterly and westerly.
Doing a bit of research and with my panel orientation and placement, combining the 2 arrays was definitely an option without a significant loss of production. 
But before I dismantled all my carefully installed sensors and parameter sensing equipment I wanted to make sure I could get the data from the Victron to my influx db and grafana. Spending a bunch of time and research into this was very fruitful and I now am successfully importing all the data I want into influx and grafana
It involved setting up a Rpi with the Victron "Venus" OS, Docker on an Ubuntu Linux machine and the docker compose file from Victron. This in it's native form will work just fine as the compose file has the venus server, venus upnp, influx and grafana images all in a nice and tidy package. Unfortunately I am never satisfied with the status quo and the data formatting was not to my liking.  So then it was off to node-red a MQTT listener and formatting all the data to my liking. Stripping all the superfluous data that was coming over the dbus I got it down to the important measurements. Once I knew I could get the data I wanted, installation of the charge controller commenced and at that time upgrading the breakers to ABB S200 series was also in the mix.
Dismantling  a fully function solar installation and doing a switchover is a daunting task so you do it at night hoping to be up and running the next day. Especially when the forecast says nice weather ahead. I am such a solar snob now and want to draw the least amount of utility grid power as possible.
I am happy to report the switchover was successful and all data processing is working.
Wire management will be the next project.
The other MakeSkyBlue controller is for my supplementary 12V shed power.

The addiction bug of having more storage capacity has also bitten me and progress on the ≈40kW Storage box is well under way. Vent holes drilled  and getting ready for electrical.

Mockup of some possible component placement after the feed through terminals were installed. Still missing the very bottom ones but they are in the mail.
Wolf
barry and Solardad like this post
For Info Google Drive

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
hey wolf nice to see that the IR way works very well Heart mine is also IR balanced/sorted but i have very small packs 60P my diff is 0.005/0.004  Big Grin and working very well for 3.5 months
(10-12-2020, 05:06 PM)barry Wrote: hey wolf nice to see that the IR way works very well Heart mine is also IR balanced/sorted but i have very small packs 60P my diff is 0.005/0.004  Big Grin and working very well for 3.5 months

Thanks barry!
It only makes sense to try to get all cells within a small window of IR, mAh, and match as best as possible.  As the first pack was my Wolfenstein pack with 4 different manufacturers and ~25 different part numbers I was pleasantly surprised at the outcome. Considering I had to go through ~10,000 cells (many never made it to the charger as the IR was over the limit) to get 1120 good enough to qualify for my Wolfenstein pack I started to look at other ways to prequalify my purchasing choices. Looking at the $ spent on the used laptop and medical packs I came to the conclusion to purchase large lots (1400 cells) of the same packs. I found that to be more cost effective than laptop cells and the added benefit of having the same cells to build my packs with. 99% of these cells test good. The IR and mAhs are very closely matched from the get go. I have pack 2 ready to go as soon as the battery box is finished and have purchased  enough cells for 2 more packs. I expect to be running these packs 5+ years as I will be cycling them below the thresholds to attempt a stress free life for theses cells.

Wolf
barry and Bubba like this post
For Info Google Drive

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool
I have 4 different cels LG,Panasonic,Samsung 97% other 3% are sanyo cells but all from the same e-bike packs and it works very well all my cels are    
25 mOhm ish and 90% soh so my pack are very healthy and lot of life left Big Grin
My use is from 4.1 to 3.6
Quick Update:

As the days are getting shorter and the nights are getting colder and longer, progress is reasonable and continuous on the  battery box.

I now have finished and debugged the code for the single ESP32 (I previously had 4) written for the battery box environmental controls. Surprisingly it works Cool
The ESP32 will be the control unit for the vent flaps fans and heaters. Bling is fan pwm by temperature  and rpm being sampled.
All data of course going to influx and visualized on grafana.

Functional prototype and initial box dry fit of electrical connections.

Updated electrical and fan placement.

More to come soon.

Wolf
Solardad likes this post
For Info Google Drive

Not your average Wolf       
            Cool