Need to replace 2 cells in hoverboard battery

rosrooster

what is the best practice for matching cells? I believe this is the correct site for the originalshttp://www.aucopo.com/index.php?m=content&c=index&a=lists&catid=22. Sorry about the pillow view on the picture

image_jfxzjw.jpg

Replace them all, with the best quality cells you can afford.

Just changing two cells means they are not the same quality you had before. My advice will be to use cells that can handle the current (2* your peak). So please stay away from laptop cells and think more in Powertool cells or vaping cells.

I would advice to take Samsung INR18650-R25 there will be better but these give you the best price performance. and extend your driving time with more than 60% :) If you want them new think about looking in Vape shops.

So its best to stay at the 1550mah or higher, and match the Max Continuous Discharge Current or get as close as you can?

What about matching the nominal voltage? The cells that I have are rated for 3.2V nominal voltage, and the Samsung INR18650-R25 are 3.6V nominal voltage.

rosrooster said:
So its best to stay at the 1550mah or higher, and match the Max Continuous Discharge Current or get as close as you can?

What about matching the nominal voltage? The cells that I have are rated for 3.2V nominal voltage, and the Samsung INR18650-R25 are 3.6V nominal voltage.

Yep didn't see that. They are LiFePo4 and not Li-Ion. Still the best option would be to replace all the cells in one go. To prevent to replace all the electronics and charger when switching over to Li-Ion, it will be probably best is to stay with LiFePo4. But can you give a little more info about the current configuration?

Here is a picture of the pack with the 2 bad cells removed, I think it would be considered a 20s2p?
image_btlvrf.jpg

It is 10S2P makes it a 32V battery 3Ah. Peak 40A. Terrible configuration to set over to Li-Ion. So probably the easiest way is try to get 2 original batteries to get it running again. of 20 to build it new again. Otherwise you can build 9S or 10S2P (would take Samsung 25R or even better 25S) but you need a new BMS for li-ion cells and new charger and I cannot tell you how the boards electrics reacts on it.

Back