Mixed cell chemistry in system possible?

berthfield

Hi there.

Been lurking a bit and finally decided to join recently. I am still in the research phase and really don't have many cells (gathering has been slow). I was wondering though, is it possible to mix chemistries in a wall?

Say for instance I have a 48v system, if I set my charge and discharge limits to 46.4v and 54.6v respectively could I then parallel a 14s LiIon and 16s LiFePo4 string? From my calculation that would give me a voltage range of ~3.31 - 3.9 for the LiIon string and 2.9 - 3.4 for the LiFePo4 strings.

I know each chemistry has a different charge/discharge profile but as I understand so far that would allow both types of batteries to be utilized in a singular application.

Is this feasible or am I missing something?

Yes.

Look at my system that have LiFe and LiIon. 16s and 14s.

You need one BMS for each with its own settings.

Thanks, have had a quick look at your build and I must say I am impressed. Guess I have a lot of reading to do.

@Daromer,
You mean you have two bms's?
Or are you reprogramming one bms for both the chemistries?
I got a little bit lost in your video's, sorry.

100kwh-hunter said:
@Daromer,
You mean you have two bms's?
Or are you reprogramming one bms for both the chemistries?
I got a little bit lost in your video's, sorry.

Two separate BMS's For a single BMS to work you'd have to be able to program multiple voltage points. For example, 18650 cutoff would be something like 3.1v and LifePO4 would be something like 2.6v. Even Batrium does not support this kind of 'flexibility' :)

So each chemistry/string has his own bms

Both chemistries can be on the same input/output line?
Without the need to connect different chargers or inverters (will be Victrons btw) or separate to two individuals?
Thanks in advance.

All info in My diagrams and videos. 2 bms and 2 battery bank. Connected in the end to same charger and inverter. 16s life and 14s liion. Same end voltage

All in the diagrams and video's.

I am a little lost in your ocean of knowledge :angel: , but i am not done watching you. :p
Thanks for the work btw

Back