Fused Battery Holders

dragonfly

I guess the price would probably be prohibitive, but has anyone ever come across parallel battery holders, with replaceable fuses on each cell?

No, but it would be pretty easy to construct. I've joined multiple cell holders together to create a large parallel charging cradle, just add fuses on the branches and you're set.

image_wunlaa.jpg

dragonfly said:
Wouldn't that fuse the battery set, and not individual cells.

It's just a visual example of a parallel cradle... which isn't fused at all.

I did say branches, not mains, but I should have clarified further. Place a fuse between the main bus and the cell holders positive would accomplish what you want to do.

That said, depending on the reason, I may opt against it all together.

I just put a small wire between the neg buss and the holder saved my butt a bunch of times.
this is my low voltage parallel charging rigso it isn't a permanent battery placeholder.
Wow it looks filthy guess I use it a lot. :)
Wolf

image_qvzgfh.jpg

Dragonfly,

If there were such a thing.... what type of fuses would you be interested in? Something like mini blade automotive fuses or something? 1 fuse per cell or 1 fuse per entire parallel holder? I assume you do not want to deal with solder correct?

clupton said:
Dragonfly,

If there were such a thing.... what type of fuses would you be interested in? Something like mini blade automotive fuses or something? 1 fuse per cell or 1 fuse per entire parallel holder? I assume you do not want to deal with solder correct?

I'd be looking at one fuse per cell, and ideally something that can be visually. checked without dismantling or opening. See some decent inline fuse holders but most have covers etc. I want to be able to scan the line of fuses looking for any obvious issues. I don't mind soldered at the manufacturing stage, but when it comes to cell\fuse replacement. I'd rather have a no solder solution.

Crimp Daddy said:
dragonfly said:
Wouldn't that fuse the battery set, and not individual cells.

It's just a visual example of a parallel cradle... which isn't fused at all.

I did say branches, not mains, but I should have clarified further. Place a fuse between the main bus and the cell holders positive would accomplish what you want to do.

That said, depending on the reason, I may opt against it all together.

Sorry still getting to grips with the terminology.

I may tinker with this....literally in tinkercad lol

I am at the phase in my testing where I will start attaching fast-blow glass fuses to my own modules. I am going to solder my fuses in. I will take the opportunity to see if there is a way I can use those in a non-solder format while I am messing around with them.

I do not think it is the way I would like to go. But, I like the idea, and I can see where some people would want to use a system like that. That is what is fun about this forum. Everyone likes to do things differently and everyone has different ideas.

From a charging / testing standpoint I dont really see the point of fusing this thing.

Very rarely if ever I think of fusing individual cells, a complete battery yes, but individual cells not so much.

I know Tesla does it because they dont have a CID in their cell from what I understand, but industry wide, its a rare practice which has really appeared to catch on in full effect around here.

You can of course do what you like, but I question the cost and complexity of the process in this thread.

Crimp Daddy said:
From a charging / testing standpoint I dont really see the point of fusing this thing.

Very rarely if ever I think of fusing individual cells, a complete battery yes, but individual cells not so much.

I know Tesla does it because they dont have a CID in their cell from what I understand, but industry wide, its a rare practice which has really appeared to catch on in full effect around here.

You can of course do what you like, but I question the cost and complexity of the process in this thread.

I am still weighing up the costs, but it is hardly a complex process to add a fuse, it just requires a little forethought, my thinking is that sooner or later you are going to have a dead\faulty or failing cell. a fuse is surely at the very least a protection against a dead short in a cell. then add to that the idiot holding the spanner, he is probably far more of an issue.

Now if the dead short in a cell, or idiot with a spanner strikes, and it's a case of popping our a fuse, and possibly a cell, and replacing, and your rolling again. I'd guess at that point, the idiot atleast feels happy he put the fuses in :)

clupton said:
I may tinker with this....literally in tinkercad lol

I am at the phase in my testing where I will start attaching fast-blow glass fuses to my own modules. I am going to solder my fuses in. I will take the opportunity to see if there is a way I can use those in a non-solder format while I am messing around with them.

I do not think it is the way I would like to go. But, I like the idea, and I can see where some people would want to use a system like that. That is what is fun about this forum. Everyone likes to do things differently and everyone has different ideas.

You actually want over-rated fuses. It is only protection against a short. Most cells will deliver enough current to blow a 3a or 5a fuse. If you go to small, the resistance of the fuse will impact your usable capacity.

Geek,

Ok I do understand what you are saying. I saw where some people went with 2A fuses but upped my idea to 3A for that reason. And yes I do wonder if I would be better off with 5A.

I am planning for a 1A draw per cell at the highest peak. 250-500mA normally.

dragonfly said:
CrimpDaddy said:

I am still weighing up the costs, but it is hardly a complex process to add a fuse, it just requires a little forethought, my thinking is that sooner or later you are going to have a dead\faulty or failing cell. a fuse is surely at the very least a protection against a dead short in a cell. then add to that the idiot holding the spanner, he is probably far more of an issue.

Now if the dead short in a cell, or idiot with a spanner strikes, and it's a case of popping our a fuse, and possibly a cell, and replacing, and your rolling again. I'd guess at that point, the idiot atleast feels happy he put the fuses in :)

When I say add complexity, I am referring to it from a construction standpoint. It adds fragility, and only provides protection in certain scenarios even with a faulty cell. There is no guarantee a faulty cell is even going to be removed from the pack. It may just continue to have a parasitic draw.

I spend more time protecting the cells physically to protect against accidental events. That said, I do understand it, I have plenty of glass axial fuses, and videos on YouTube of me testing them. But in certain scenarios, opt against using them from my own experiences.

Back