Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fused Battery Holders
(08-20-2019, 07:08 PM)Crimp Daddy Wrote: From a charging / testing standpoint… I don’t really see the point of fusing this thing.

Very rarely if ever I think of fusing individual cells, a complete battery yes, but individual cells not so much.

I know Tesla does it because they don’t have a CID in their cell from what I understand, but industry wide, it’s a rare practice which has really appeared to catch on in full effect around here.

You can of course do what you like, but I question the cost and complexity of the process in this thread.

I am still weighing up the costs, but it is hardly a complex process to add a fuse, it just requires a little forethought, my thinking is that sooner or later you are going to have a dead\faulty or failing cell. a fuse is surely at the very least a protection against a dead short in a cell. then add to that the idiot holding the spanner, he is probably far more of an issue.

Now if the dead short in a cell, or idiot with a spanner strikes, and it's a case of popping our a fuse, and possibly a cell, and replacing, and your rolling again. I'd guess at that point, the idiot atleast feels happy he put the fuses in :-)
Geek likes this post
(08-20-2019, 03:14 PM)clupton Wrote: I may tinker with this....literally in tinkercad  lol

I am at the phase in my testing where I will start attaching fast-blow glass fuses to my own modules.  I am going to solder my fuses in.  I will take the opportunity to see if there is a way I can use those in a non-solder format while I am messing around with them.

I do not think it is the way I would like to go.  But, I like the idea, and I can see where some people would want to use a system like that.  That is what is fun about this forum.  Everyone likes to do things differently and everyone has different ideas.

You actually want over-rated fuses. It is only protection against a short. Most cells will deliver enough current to blow a 3a or 5a fuse. If you go to small, the resistance of the fuse will impact your usable capacity.
Korishan likes this post
Geek,

Ok I do understand what you are saying. I saw where some people went with 2A fuses but upped my idea to 3A for that reason. And yes I do wonder if I would be better off with 5A.

I am planning for a 1A draw per cell at the highest peak. 250-500mA normally.
<Tested Inventory Capacity 5.42 KWH>
(08-21-2019, 05:33 AM)dragonfly Wrote:
(08-20-2019, 07:08 PM)Crimp Daddy Wrote: From a charging / testing standpoint… I don’t really see the point of fusing this thing.

Very rarely if ever I think of fusing individual cells, a complete battery yes, but individual cells not so much.

I know Tesla does it because they don’t have a CID in their cell from what I understand, but industry wide, it’s a rare practice which has really appeared to catch on in full effect around here.

You can of course do what you like, but I question the cost and complexity of the process in this thread.

I am still weighing up the costs, but it is hardly a complex process to add a fuse, it just requires a little forethought, my thinking is that sooner or later you are going to have a dead\faulty or failing cell. a fuse is surely at the very least a protection against a dead short in a cell. then add to that the idiot holding the spanner, he is probably far more of an issue.

Now if the dead short in a cell, or idiot with a spanner strikes, and it's a case of popping our a fuse, and possibly a cell, and replacing, and your rolling again. I'd guess at that point, the idiot atleast feels happy he put the fuses in :-)

When I say add complexity, I am referring to it from a construction standpoint.  It adds fragility, and only provides protection in certain scenarios even with a faulty cell.  There is no guarantee a faulty cell is even going to be “removed” from the pack.  It may just continue to have a parasitic draw.

I spend more time protecting the cells physically to protect against accidental events.  That said, I do understand it, I have plenty of glass axial fuses, and videos on YouTube of me testing them.  But in certain scenarios, opt against using them from my own experiences.